Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: GORDON PWNS POOR APPLE FAN BOY!!! ROFL FTW
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:43 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

tugboat_2 wrote:
I have already admitted up front I'm no expert. However, I think "firmware" is programing stored on the drive Not the motherboard chip set. the motherboard chip set could give a shit less What the OS is telling the Drive to do. It just passes it along via the proper route at the proper time so as not to disrupt the whole system unnecessarily. As far as any other "drivers" they would be software. They would be installed in or part of the OS to tell the OS what, when, and how execute trim and send the command on to the drive. Note this is OS software Intel doesn't have a damned thing to do with it. It's up to the OS author to decide if when and how to incorporate it. The onus is not on Intel to do this it's on the OS writer.

So why again would you design a computer and operating system and install an SSD with out Trim support? And Why would you not incorporate it into your OS. You are the system designer and author of the OS. So its up to you to write the optimal drivers Since you know how your system works and what is optimal for your system. The drive should just be there patiently waiting instructions. And what the hell does Intel have to do with writing Apple's software and drivers.

I don't mean to throw more fuel into the fire, but I think some fact-clearing has to be done here. The above is absolutely correct. Firmware has absolutely nothing to do with chipsets. The chipset simply passes the instruction through to the correct channels (in this case, passing the TRIM command through to the SATA SSD) and has no real role in how TRIM commands are processed or carried out. Now, sometimes there are strange compatibility issues with chipsets (generally an unexpected error due to a tiny flaw in the chipset that only shows through when certain commands are used. This just happens on occasion [remember the AMD TLB bug?] due to the complexity of modern ICs), but this is certainly not the case with Nvidia chipsets. Unless its an Intel SSD, Intel doesn't really have anything to do with the TRIM command- its the OS, the driver, the SSD, and the SSD's firmware.

Post subject: Re: GORDON PWNS POOR APPLE FAN BOY!!! ROFL FTW
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:44 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

You know, I really used to enjoy this forum, on some rare occasions, but now that I've realized that trying to talk intelligently on here is almost like talking to a brick wall, except the brick wall is more closely related to a teenager who took some crappy "basic computing" class and copied off of some other kid's homework and tests, and "passed" it. I've found that some of you, albeit a tiny handful, actually know wtf you're talking about, and the rest tend to just gang up in a bullshit group, trying to force others to believe they're wrong, when they're far from it. With that being said, I'm no longer posting on this thread, and so if anyone chooses to continue this "discussion", if you wish to call it that, then by all means, continue wallowing around in the land of dumbshit. Thank you.