Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mar. 2014, How To - Fine-Tune your SSD
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:21 pm 

I seem to see some 'errors' in the write-up and also have some questions.

First, I'm on Win8.1 and have 3 physical drives, an SSD with basically only the OS (and some often used programs) as well as 2 Mechanical drives, one holding DATA, the other basically for back-ups.

OK, first is what appears to be an error. In the Registry you mention HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\SESSIONMANAGER\MEMORYMANAGEMENT\PREFETCHPARAMETERS, and in it Superfetch and Prefetch. Those don't exist on my system (Win8.1). However, there is EnablePrefetcher, which is shown on Image D which you reference. I assume the calling out of the Registry items should have been for EnablePrefetcher alone.

Also, under Win8.1 at least, for Tools there is NO Defragment Now. I believe that has been replaced by Optimize. I know Win8.1 (and probably Win8) does NOT do anything in the way of Optimization for an SSD, although one can do it manually. It may be forcing a Trim at that time, not sure. As for Scheduling of the Optimization, since Win8.x doesn't do anything, and if one has more than one drive, do NOT turn it off but just alter the drives it operates on if one wishes, but leaving it on the SSD I do not think causes harm as Windows knows not to run it.

So now my question... since I have more than one drive and 2 are mechanical, should I change the EnablePrefetcher to 0? That would effect ALL drives wouldn't it? Same goes for turning off/disabling the services. If this is an all or nothing situation, I'd prefer the prefetch and search for the mechanical drives with the SSD alone having the Indexing off. I assume one can do that as a happy medium.

I hope this is clear?

Thanks,
Irv Spalten

Post subject: Re: Mar. 2014, How To - Fine-Tune your SSD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:02 pm 

While I always look to Maximum PC for the definitive answers, and eagerly awaited the real word on page file use in SSD settings, it was not to be, although stated in the lead-in.

So, should you leave the page file there, move it, set it to a set size, or delete and not use one at all with a SSD?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:39 am 

tombodude wrote:
While I always look to Maximum PC for the definitive answers, and eagerly awaited the real word on page file use in SSD settings, it was not to be, although stated in the lead-in.

So, should you leave the page file there, move it, set it to a set size, or delete and not use one at all with a SSD?

I moved the page file. No need to write extra writes to an SSD is how I'm looking at it. Also, other than the 'setup' write which puts a few bytes in the file, I never use it anyway as I have 8GB's of RAM, more than enough for most operations I perform.

Just my way of looking at it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, to be fair, if you search for defrag in Win8, it does say "Defragment and optimize drives", but otherwise on an SSD, it just forces a TRIM command as opposed to occasionally.

Enabling prefetcher may not add any benefit. Originally it was meant to store caching files of programs you frequently run somewhere on the hard drive that was faster to access. Since SSDs don't really have this issue, prefetcher is kind of obsolete. And I believe this only matters on the system drive. I'm not sure if prefetcher does this for programs elsewhere. Either way, it's adding more writes to the SSD because prefetch data lives in the system drive.

Also regarding the page file, there's this article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009 ... s-and.aspx . According to Microsoft, reads outnumber writes 40 to 1 and reads are typically small with writes relatively large. So there's little harm in leaving the page file on the SSD (and in fact if you are hitting it, will boost your performance quite a bit). And to put in perspective, the lifespan of an SSD depends on data written per day. Even at say 100GB per day, on a 250GB MLC type drive, you're looking at 60+ years of write endurance. This drops down to about 6 years for newer TLC based flash. And this doubles or halves based on capacity. But 100GB writes a day is pretty hefty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:14 pm 

Thank you, LatiosXT. I will leave my page file alone. Any benefit to setting it manually (the old rule was one and one half times memory), instead of dynamically? Used to be a speed-up trick for XP, don't know if that would apply anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:22 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I just keep the pagefile to 1GB and no more. That rule seems very silly when most computers today ship with 8GB of memory (you want me to reserve 12GB of space for a pagefile I won't hit?)

And just a primer on the subject:
Spoiler: show
Computers are built to fool software into thinking they have more memory than the system really has. This was probably done to help with development issues or what not. So when memory starts to run out, the OS will start swapping relatively unused pages (4KB chunks) into the hard drive. In Windows this is the pagefile. If you have plenty of memory and are not running out, the page file gets rarely used. But once it starts getting used and your total memory usage exceeds your virtual memory space (system RAM + page file), then you run into the "I ran out of memory and now I crash" error.