Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Official August 2010 Feedback Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:10 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Hey look, it's the place where you can talk to the editors about the August 2010 edition! Woo!

Please refrain from "omg where's mah copy of the issue" comments.

If you have typos to point out, you can point those out in a separate thread (we really like those).

We're really interested in your feelings about the actual editorial content of the mag (please note, ads are not editorial content). That's right. We care about your feelings! Some of us do. Sometimes.

Also, if you haven't yet, subscribe to our somewhat inaccurately titled No BS Podcast! The tech parts are No BS; the Death Star vs. Enterprise and Tony Stark vs. Reed Richards arguments are Slight BS.

-nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:30 pm 

Really good issue and the feature article is timely too!

I bought my first Blu-ray drive for my desktop. I also purchased the Slysoft suite of utilities to make DVD backups and/or convert BRD to iPhone/iPod/Zune. I'm now also thinking of building my own HTPC.

The drive came with Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 but I'm wondering if Corel's WinDVD Pro would be a better option as it's on sale atm. Article only mentions PowerDVD but I'm thinking that was just a shameless plug. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Signal2Noise wrote:
The drive came with Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 but I'm wondering if Corel's WinDVD Pro would be a better option as it's on sale atm.

What is the sale price?

It's a bit more, but I really like Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 3, which also now has a 3d plugin for compatible Blu-Ray titles and also supports DTS-HD MA/Dolby TrueHD bitstreaming*.

$110 for the 3d version, $90 for the regular (Platinum).

Now for my question to the editors/magazine staff; where can I find an Athlon AMD 640E used in the article. I would like a link to a reputable dealer that carries the CPU in stock please.

*For bitstreaming you must have an audio receiver with HDMI 1.3 or better inputs, and a 5xxx series Radeon, Intel Clarkdale (on die video) setup, or an ASUS Xonar HD sound card.

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:53 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Great article about HTPCs! I have always been a bit confused about how to get that protected audio out of the computer, thanks for clearing that up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:13 pm 

n0b0dykn0ws wrote:

What is the sale price?

$59.99 USD/CDN, ($99.99 reg.) until tomorrow I believe.

[url]http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1189528458632#versionTabview=tab1&tabview=tab0]Linky[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:27 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I like how you did the Article "FCC Tries to Regain Authority" and how that it sorts out some of of the stuff with the "National Broadband Plan". I have been following there Blog since they started the wheels in Motion of N.B.P. I am all for it as a hint why Look at my avator. They want to get Broadband into Rural areas were they fall short of or not available with High-Speed Internet and alot of the areas have only Dial-up or Satelilte internet"Worst Then DSL or Dial-up".

Like in my Case I live in a Rural Area and I can't get WiMAX or DSL the only thing is Dial-up I can atleast play low bandwidth usage games like Trackmania and on Satellite internet you can't game at all

Also for the CD you guys but a application that I have been wanting to get one of them is XBMC but downloading 90+MB on Dial-up is hard also I listen to one of the No BS Podcast I liked it alot so i will continue buy the Maximum PC Mag w/CD from Stater Brothers for the apps and podcasts :)

Post subject: HTPC hardware
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:10 pm 

While reading through accessories, I was a bit disappointed there were no budget solutions. Having built my own HTPC not too long ago, I spent some time looking for a system that would give me mouse/keyboard combo in a small package at an affordable price.

Eventually I ended up buying a EFO keyboard/mouse solution, which has worked flawless for the past few months for me (RF not bluetooth). Yes the keyboard is a bit wobbly, but the mouse is responsive and there is a back-light all for only $40! Being about the size of my blackberry smartphone, it fit my need for a small sized media remote perfectly. Although the DiNovo is a great product, it is just too expensive for my taste. I can accept paying $150 for my G15 and mx518 which I use for hours everyday, but for a media-pc, where hardly any input is required I rather save myself the money and buy myself a good bluray drive.

Post subject: Best of the Best Midrange Vid Card Misprint?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:11 am 

Hey guys, I enjoyed the Aug 2010 issue thoroughly (as always), however I need some clarification on the Page 96 article.

- On Page 96 you crown the EVGA GeForce GTX 470 SSC as the new Mid-Range King, blowing away the HD 5850 (and sometimes the HD 5870). At the end you direct us back to Page 74 for the full review of the card.

- On Page 74, you're discussing EVGA's GTX 470 SC, which looks to mirror what you spoke of on Page 96 about the 470 SSC.

- The confusion really sets in when EVGA doesn't list a SSC edition of the 470 (or the 465, or 480) on their roster. However the general box art for all EVGA 400-series show a section where they would highlight a possible "SC", "SSC", or "FTW" edition.

A simple misprint or Maximum PC leaking the first info on a soon-to-be-released 470 SSC?

Thanks for bringing the AWEsome on everything you do,
- JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:12 am 
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us

I really enjoyed reading Loyd's DirectX11 Feature. It was well written, well edited, and had plenty of screenshots. Plus I learned new things.

I can't wait to run some DX11 benchmarks/demos when I get my new build up and running.

-Six

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:05 pm 

Here we go:

On page 24, when talking about the HTPC's components, you mention that, "The GeForce GT 240 is one of only three GPU's that officially support Blu-ray 3D (the other two being the GTX 470 and GTX 480)." The same happens on page 31, when Gordon Mah Ung mentions, "The only retail cards to support Blu-Ray 3D are the Geforce GTX 470/480 and GT 240. Older parts still support 3D games, pictures, and video, but not Blu-Ray 3D playback." I'm really not sure where you got this information, but it's completely wrong. Looking at Nvidia's 3D vision requirements, http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-requirements.html, cards that also support Blu-Ray 3D include the 465, 460, 340, 330, 320, 295, 285, 280, 275, and 260 (not including mobile GPU's).

More importantly, I'm very confused how you guys managed to use the Auzentech X-Fi Home Theatre HD in your 3D HTPC. The Auzentech utilizes HDMI 1.3a for both input and output, meaning that the absolute maximum that you could push through it is 1080p @ 60Hz (remember, 3D requires 120Hz) or 720p/1080i @ 120Hz, both with 7.1 audio. So the only possible way you were using 3D in your playback would be to limit the video to 720p/1080i, which frankly, is not acceptable at all for a HTPC (as you mention in the article). So I can't understand how you guys recommend this card for a 3D HTPC.

I'd also like to mention that in the final HTPC parts list on page 24, I don't see a mention of Nvidia's 3D vision kit, plus the corresponding number of active shutter glasses. I understand how with the 3DTV works, as the IR emitter and glasses come with the TV. But when using the projector as a 3D display, you're required to buy your own 3D glasses and IR emitter. So this skews the final price ($1,887) as you never mention the cost of the glasses, which for an average theater of 5 members, would bring the final price to $2,762.

Finally, in the 'Ask the Doctor' section on page 18, John asks a question about 120Hz monitors and whether they deliver a crisper image than 60Hz monitors. My issue with this is in regards to the Docs response, which simply highlights the fact that 120Hz monitors are used for 3D vision. But the Doc completely ignores the fact that a large proportion of 120Hz monitor consumers are actually buying for the 120Hz, and not the 3D capabilities - from what I could read, John was one of these people. I just feel that John's question wasn't actually answered, and instead the Doc just went off tangent talking about 3D.

Please correct me if I'm wrong with anything. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:15 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Dunceiam wrote:
More importantly, I'm very confused how you guys managed to use the Auzentech X-Fi Home Theatre HD in your 3D HTPC. The Auzentech utilizes HDMI 1.3a for both input and output, meaning that the absolute maximum that you could push through it is 1080p @ 60Hz (remember, 3D requires 120Hz) or 720p/1080i @ 120Hz, both with 7.1 audio. So the only possible way you were using 3D in your playback would be to limit the video to 720p/1080i, which frankly, is not acceptable at all for a HTPC (as you mention in the article). So I can't understand how you guys recommend this card for a 3D HTPC.

You can use the card as a sound card only, sending the audio from the Auzentech to the receiver and video from the GT 240 to the display.

Quote:
I'd also like to mention that in the final HTPC parts list on page 24, I don't see a mention of Nvidia's 3D vision kit, plus the corresponding number of active shutter glasses. I understand how with the 3DTV works, as the IR emitter and glasses come with the TV. But when using the projector as a 3D display, you're required to buy your own 3D glasses and IR emitter. So this skews the final price ($1,887) as you never mention the cost of the glasses, which for an average theater of 5 members, would bring the final price to $2,762.

This is why I won't be buying 3D gear until glassless solutions are available. I'm not going to spend thousands and not be able to have extra guests join in on the fun.

There is also the dirty secret that wasn't discussed by MPC. So far when a new display is in 3D mode the video quality suffers. Colors tend to be off and brightness is lowered overall, but not in the way that brightness is used to exaggerate the image.

Blacks were finally starting to get closer to blacks, contrast was looking less like fog, colors were starting to adhere to REC 709, and then 3D came along. :?

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:30 pm 

n0b0dykn0ws wrote:
You can use the card as a sound card only, sending the audio from the Auzentech to the receiver and video from the GT 240 to the display.

I agree, it could. But that would contradict the point of buying the $250 sound card (which was Maximum PC's way of getting around the issue of protected audio paths on Nvidia cards). Plus there's a much more realistic reason they couldn't seperate the audio and video - the receivers connections. If you take a look at the receivers specifications here: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=5016803&CTID=5000300&ATRID=1020&DETYP=ATTRIBUTE you'll notice that in terms of video input and output, the receiver only sports 6 HDMI ports (V1.3a), 4 component ports (which do not support 120Hz), and 6 S-Video ports (which caps at 576i @ 24fps). And if you look at the rear-view of the receiver, http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/EnlargedImage.html?CNTID=5017925 you can see that there truly is no way to input 120Hz video in, with or without the audio. All 6 of the HDMI connections are 1.3a, which do not support 3D (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi#Version_comparison). Also if I wanted to take this further, the graphics card they used (GT 240) sports a HDMI connection (V1.3a), so even if there was a V1.4 HDMI input on the receiver, the graphics card itself wouldn't be able to output a 120Hz 1080p signal.

So I hope you see my confusion, the graphics card had no way of outputting a 120Hz signal, the audio card had no way of combining a 120Hz signal with 7.1 audio, and the receiver had no way of inputting and outputting a 120Hz signal with or without 7.1 audio. The only devices that were 3D ready in Maximum PC's setup was the projector and TV itself.

(Sorry if my post isn't entirely clear, all the information's in there, just not wholeheartedly explained (I just woke up :wink: ))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:44 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

BTW: The new GTX 460 cards support HDMI 1.4 as well as PAP.

Overkill for just watching video, but if you want to game as well...

n0b0dykn0ws