Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Are PDAs Dead? - August pg 12
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:48 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

I looked into Smartphones (SP) when they first came out and passed on the couple available. I checked up on them recently and still passed. Here are some of the reasons why PDAs are still alive (your staff just overlooked them):

- Talk on your SP and you get a nice oily screen

- External storage on SPs are still practically nonexistent

- No built-in/optional WiFi - That's right, the GPRS service or whatever they are running is STILL pricey. It was a TOTAL rip off when they first started charging for kb/s, up and downstream. I want a choice to use free WiFi access, but that is something the telco companies don't want you to have because it will take away from their profits.

I never really cared too much for PDAs. My first one was a Palm III that I won at a conference and it was an expensive, bulky and inconvenient address book. Did pretty much the same thing as the Post-it notes in my wallet and numbers, calendar and calculator on my phone.

I then got the e740 (only one I purchased and still use on occasion) which was really useful. WiFi!!! (real reason I got it), vids, WMAs (sorry, no crappy mp3s here), SD and CF slots. I usually don't use it outside of the house for audio because I'm in a car with a real stereo and CD audio. I do use it for audio when I travel up north and get a chance to walk around and ride the subway. I have more than enough WMAs on SD and CF cards to last me through my concrete treks. So, no gay-pods for me.

Too bad toshiba will not support the latest OS on it. Not even if you wanted to pay for an upgrade. Their hardware life-cycle is probably 6 months and they usually stop providing updates for them. Happened for my PDA and a laptop I have. Those were my last toshiba products.

Oh yea, and try putting a GPS on a SP...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:44 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Dude, where you been?

We gotta play some UT!!

Raven just got the forum back up and running after an outage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:20 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

Been out and about and busy. I tried the site last night and it was "closed".

Been trying to build a box and can't find anyone with an X800 XT PE!!! When the hell are they going to really sell them?! Could not find anything on-line and local retailers are saying August 1 now. I'd even be willing to get a 6800 Ultra but that's MIA too!

Guess I'll have to play on my PoS system until then. I'm game for this weekend. Post the call to arms (UT2K4 and prereq mods etc.) on the site and I'll take my chances. I'll be ready with my rusty nails...

Post subject: Re: Are PDAs Dead? - August pg 12
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:12 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

MERC wrote:
I looked into Smartphones (SP) when they first came out and passed on the couple available. I checked up on them recently and still passed. Here are some of the reasons why PDAs are still alive (your staff just overlooked them):

- Talk on your SP and you get a nice oily screen

- External storage on SPs are still practically nonexistent

- No built-in/optional WiFi - That's right, the GPRS service or whatever they are running is STILL pricey. It was a TOTAL rip off when they first started charging for kb/s, up and downstream. I want a choice to use free WiFi access, but that is something the telco companies don't want you to have because it will take away from their profits.

I never really cared too much for PDAs. My first one was a Palm III that I won at a conference and it was an expensive, bulky and inconvenient address book. Did pretty much the same thing as the Post-it notes in my wallet and numbers, calendar and calculator on my phone.

I then got the e740 (only one I purchased and still use on occasion) which was really useful. WiFi!!! (real reason I got it), vids, WMAs (sorry, no crappy mp3s here), SD and CF slots. I usually don't use it outside of the house for audio because I'm in a car with a real stereo and CD audio. I do use it for audio when I travel up north and get a chance to walk around and ride the subway. I have more than enough WMAs on SD and CF cards to last me through my concrete treks. So, no gay-pods for me.

Too bad toshiba will not support the latest OS on it. Not even if you wanted to pay for an upgrade. Their hardware life-cycle is probably 6 months and they usually stop providing updates for them. Happened for my PDA and a laptop I have. Those were my last toshiba products.

Oh yea, and try putting a GPS on a SP...

The problem is the PDA folks should just add a cell phone to a PDA. That would kill the smartphone right off. With WiFi you can net call in a hot spot already - so I don't see PDA going away. I don't have a cell phone - but I have a few PDA's.

Cell phone have too many draw backs. They cost to much a month, they make it too easy for folks to get ahold (and expect to get ahold) of me on thier terms - not mine. WIth a PDA, I am in my communications control and I communicate when I want to. We don't need smartphones - we need PDA's with cellphones in them.

SP cannot:
    Let me type word docs (or wordtogo)
    GPS
    Except add ons (like pH meters)
    work as a scientific calculator
    run any of the 1000's of programs availiable for PDAs
    work as a TV remote (or garage door opener)
    check the status of a remote network for a hot spot or from your driveway
    hack an SP :twisted:
    etc....

But a PDA can :)

Manta