Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Thank you!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:14 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I just wanted to say thanks for creating such a magazine that's both informative, but yet fun to read. I always enjoy the various little columns (Byte Rigts, Game Theory) as well as some of the lab tests. The Hardware Authopsy and White Papers are also great as well.

I just a little sad to see Will Smith leave the chief editing position.

The only problem I have so far with the mag is that in the past few editions where an anti-virus/security suite line-up and review has been done, I never see anything about some of the other suites avaialble: like TrendMicro. I see a lot about AVG, Norton and others, but I haven't (that I can recall) seeing anything about TrendMicro.

I mean, I liked norton for the past few years, but even with the most recent versions, they still slowed my PC down a little more than I would have liked (I do a lot of multi-tasking--generally programming/web development), but wanted to know more about TrendMicro, and had to make my purchse decision based on other sources (some of which I was skeptical of). I know that MaxPC cannot test and review all of them, but at least get all of the major suites out there (like TrendMicro). (I'm still not terribly confident in others like Avira Antivirus or CA Internet Seuciryt, or even ZoneLabs' security programs).

That's my two cents worth... keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:29 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

You're in luck. Trend Micro is included in the next anti-virus roundup (which includes Trend Micro), along with a handful of other suites that weren't included in last year's feature (like Trend Micro).

Look for it in the next issue (May 2010).

-Paul Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:55 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Thanks for the reply and the info. I actually went out and purchased it anyway (After doing a lot of research on google and in a few other reviews). So far so good. I do have to give Norton/Symantec some credit because they did improve NIS since 2009 and later, but I think it still slows the PC a bit too much for most true power users because of it's abilities.

I just wanted to find the happy middle ground between good protection while maintaining decent computer performance overall.

But again, thanks for including it in the next round-up. I was just a bit shocked that you guys had mentioned programs like Avast and Avira and others, but not Trend Micro, which has been around for a while, in your previous round-ups.

Post subject: Trend Micro ---- No Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:59 am 

One4yu2c wrote:
You're in luck. Trend Micro is included in the next anti-virus roundup (which includes Trend Micro), along with a handful of other suites that weren't included in last year's feature (like Trend Micro).

-Paul Lilly

Yeah, no thanks on Trend Micro.
Microsoft Security Essentials does a better job and is FREE.

I'll say that again........ FREE!

Post subject: Re: Trend Micro ---- No Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:58 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

BeVar wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:

-Paul Lilly

MSE may be free, but I need something that scans emails/attachments and MSE doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:13 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I will have to give MS some credit--Win 7 is pretty good compared to what the've released in the past... but since their OSes still have a lot of security holes and flaws, I still don't trust a security suite from this company just yet.

I remember a comment being made (maybe in the mag) that MSE is OK for basic protection, but for anything more, you'll want to get something more substantial like McAfee (yuck!) or TrendMicro or Norton.

I just ditched Norton because (in my view) it was still making my system lag quite a bit (and I have a Q9550 with 4GB of RAM and a newer SATA hard drive, so it's built for speed and not a wimpy Pentium 4/Celeron machine).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:18 pm 

Well dedgar,

If email scanning is an issue then please use ESET Node32. This is a great product. Best protection I have used anywhere. Going to cost you between $60 and $70 a year for Node32 Security Suite.

I got a great deal for my Government clients last year. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Home Edition, New 2 year, 3-User, Download Version - No Box Shipment. Free Technical Support, ONLY $106.99. You get email scanning with this version; only thing missing is Firewall.

If your not using a good Router for firewall your going to have problems anyway. I believe software firewalls are waste of cpu power, any half arsed hack can break those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:31 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Well, I somewhat disagree with the software firewall comment. They are helpful if you want to prevent a certain app (not even a virus or something, but let's just say for example, I don't want Office 2007 connecting to the Internet), then I can deny it that ability with the software firewall. You can probably do this with a built-in hardware firewall (in the router) but it's more complicated.

Me personally, I like having both (the software and hardware firewalls between the world and my PC's data). Good in case something happens to one of them. Nowu sing P2P networks can be tricky at times, but to me, it's worth the extra hassle for the added sense of security.

I could see if you have multiple firewalls running on one PC... that's a problem and a no-no in computer land (unless you have very good reason to do it). I always tell my clients one software firewall and one hardware firewall (especially if you use broadband/DSL). Simply because from what I know) not all DSL modems/cable modems have built-in firewalls or any type of protection for protecting the computer connected to it.

Post subject: Re: Trend Micro ---- No Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:33 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

BeVar wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:

-Paul Lilly

Just curious, what makes you dislike TrendMicro?? (At one point, Microsoft used TrendMicro for it's online products to protect its users--mainly in their Hotmail system [they may still do this]--this was probably 5-6+ years ago before they started offering Windows Defender and the other security software).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:36 pm 

cbassett01 wrote:
I will have to give MS some credit--Win 7 is pretty good compared to what the've released in the past... but since their OSes still have a lot of security holes and flaws, I still don't trust a security suite from this company just yet.

I remember a comment being made (maybe in the mag) that MSE is OK for basic protection, but for anything more, you'll want to get something more substantial like McAfee (yuck!) or TrendMicro or Norton.

I just ditched Norton because (in my view) it was still making my system lag quite a bit (and I have a Q9550 with 4GB of RAM and a newer SATA hard drive, so it's built for speed and not a wimpy Pentium 4/Celeron machine).

cbassett01..

You got to read the Mpc's May issue. Cover story is Security software.
The biggest surprise was just how low a score Trend Micro got. I am pretty sure Mpc used the word "SUCKS" for Trend Micro. ha,ha,ha and you have to pay $70 bucks for it.

Final Word was ESET node32; MSE for free and McAfee getting better. With McAfee you get a pretty decent deal at 3 licenses for $50 bucks. Although rated just as good as Microsoft Security Essentials, ahem - FREE!

Hey, listen... I hate greedy monopolistic juggernauts like Microsoft. 60 billion dollars a year is not good enough for them; it appears all enormous big bucks companies get that way.

And yeah, I guess, I got penis envy, I wish I had money like that But if the product is good - what the hey - Ignorance in the PC industry will get you nothing but a screwed up machine and a frustration headache!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:55 pm 

cbassett01 wrote:
Well, I somewhat disagree with the software firewall comment. They are helpful if you want to prevent a certain app (not even a virus or something, but let's just say for example, I don't want Office 2007 connecting to the Internet), then I can deny it that ability with the software firewall. You can probably do this with a built-in hardware firewall (in the router) but it's more complicated.

Me personally, I like having both (the software and hardware firewalls between the world and my PC's data). Good in case something happens to one of them. Nowu sing P2P networks can be tricky at times, but to me, it's worth the extra hassle for the added sense of security.

I could see if you have multiple firewalls running on one PC... that's a problem and a no-no in computer land (unless you have very good reason to do it). I always tell my clients one software firewall and one hardware firewall (especially if you use broadband/DSL). Simply because from what I know) not all DSL modems/cable modems have built-in firewalls or any type of protection for protecting the computer connected to it.

Okay... I come across this argument a lot from my peers and I can't refute what you are saying except I get better results with running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in the background if I am concerned where I am going on the internet.

I run 15 computers in my business and software firewalls are one big pain in the arse. With Windows 7 at least I can open up the LAN and keep "Public" fire walled. That works for me.

Lots and lots of customers do not have anywhere near our expertise or common sense and again Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware running in the background keeps them from getting nailed most times. I know it works because if it didn't I would lose the customers. Customer satisfaction and service has got to be the highest priority over anything.

When, once-apon -a-time, I left the software firewalls on; I always got the calls at the strangest hours and even late Sunday nights "I can't get here or I can't get there". Bad business when the customer gets frustrated.

I find a way to protect them that works for the both of us. Win-Win.

But again... I am not really arguing your position on software firewalls. I just think Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is a better solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:08 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

The one lesson I teach people is to do safe computing (meaning do safe browsing and be careful what you download, etc). Sure, everyone falls into a trap from time to time (even the most experienced PC users), but this (to me) is the best defense against any type of infections, attacks, etc.

But, yes, running a program my Malwarebyte's AntiSpyware or something like that is a good idea.

As for the dual firewalls--I may have mis-worded this: I don't always recommend this to just anyone, but to those who I know darn well know how to program and build a computer (and thus are experienced users) I do recommend this to them. For the casual home user,I tell them that the software firewall is enough, but the router's firewall is just added security.
Plus, unless you're doing something like p2p file sharing or advanced networking, one software & one hardware firewall shouldn't be a problem. I mean, I've only had to make one adjustment to my system since using both of them (and that was to prevent MS Office from accessing the Internet). I've never had a problem where it caused me not be able to talk to one of my other PCs on my network, or connect to a remote system, etc.

And I wasn't bragging about the system I have... simply making a statement that it is a newer build and that it was well capable of handling an security suite; it was more or less an illustration of how much it affected my system (obviously something like this would have a more drastic effect on a slower, older machine, like a older single-cored P4 that I was referring to). In realty, my computer is probably only worth $250-300 these days (just for the hardware). An newer i5 or i7 could probably run circles around the Q9550, and loads of people here have them and are bragging up storms about them... I'm trying to make a point, not brag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:14 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I guess it really comes down to preference. Obviously, MaxPC can't test everything as it would happen in the "real world." Plus, it depends on your configuration, how you're connected to other computers/the Internet, etc.

So as I tell people, and I agree completely, no securit suite (or anti-spyware scanner) can be 100% accurate and effective. It's obviously a matter of preference. My dad loves Norton, and wouldn't give it up for anything. I don't hate their products -- if they could get them to a point where they don't bog down a system, I'd go back, but my last experience with NIS 2009 was not very good (I couldn't really even listen to music and surf the web at the same time without my music skipping or getting jumbled, etc). Maybe it wasw an OS problem, but I did re-install the OS twice and it happened each time I installed the OS, so I determined it had to do with the AV Software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:20 pm 

You are an informed computer enthusiast and that is better than most.

Keeping up with the latest and or what's best for security is a real tough one.
I am researching all the time. I have to be ready to change security measures on PC pretty quick. The internet is faster than anything I can do.

I get to test an enormous amount of security software all the time because I have the machines and I get to see many customers every week; what they have been running especially the way the software wants to install itself.

You know what, it's horrible and the basic consumer has no clue.

I have to protect their computers without building an enormous bill and it better work or they will not be back or recommend me. Kiss of death.

I get so frustrated at times because there is just so much software out there that says it will do something and in the end so much of it makes the computer worse.

So, this year, so far; Microsoft's Security Essentials works pretty good. Add Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and if you need a bit more security, pay for it and run it in the background. It keeps me from getting to sites I always frequent and it can be a pain but it does the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:20 pm 

My preference on firewalls would be the Router first; hardware firewall should be a better choice than software.

And, as you said, if the user knows how to work the software firewall and is willing to put up with some blockage and such. cool.