Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Maximum PC vs Newegg Users
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:37 pm 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

I've been an MPC reader for about 5 years now. A few times I based my purchases on the reviews editors give the products and it came back to bite me. Like the Striker Extreme motherboard, which when it came out, MPC gave it a great review. So I bought it (using it now as a matter of fact). It turns out to not be that great and if you check Newegg's customer reviews of it, they hate it. I'm reading a review right now on the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH router right now which MPC gives a 9, but Newegg customers rate it 54% of 48 reviews. Which is enough to make me wary of it. The only good thing about it is it's selling for $79 on Newegg unlike the $100 price in the article.

So I was wondering if MPC editors ever check with other users to see what the real world experience of a product is, not just one product used in the lab for a series of tests. I mean you guys could be getting the cream of the crop and the rest of us could be getting bad products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:31 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

I see. So instead of Max PC editors reviewing products under their conditions and giving their opinions, you want them to just go to Newegg and use their reviews? Cool! We should just name the magazine Maximum Newegg!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:50 pm 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

No, but if they consistently review things and give them kick ass awards and then in the real world 200 people give that item 2 out of 5 eggs because the product sucks, I'd like to know how MPC came to their conclusion.

Like hypothetically if they did a car review and said in their opinion Saturn made a great car and they recommended it to everyone, wouldn't you be a little concerned knowing everyone else rated it to be one of the worst cars ever made?

I've seen them give some real lemons great reviews then I got the product and was like wtf?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:51 pm 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

Comparing MaxPC Editors's reviews to Newegg Users' reviews is like comparing a Porsche to a Yugo - it ain't the same.

This discussion is closed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:54 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I see what you're saying OP. There have been many things MaxPC does a great review on that turns out to be shitty.

That they are getting the cream of the crop is probably closer to the truth than anything else.

But the Mag doesn't revisit their reviews, they hardly ever give us updates on products. What bites my ass is they will test a component and then, six months later it's still on the Best of the Best list and there's at least five others I would recommend WAY before their "Best".

The best thing to do is dive into these forums before you make a purchasing decision. Sometimes, MaxPC hits the mark. Other times, they don't or they just don't update it. After all, all they do is test it and that's pretty much it. Rarely will it go into a long term test situation in their offices for them to report back on later. And really, I think they should do just that.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]