Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Official Unofficial April 2010 Issue Thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:50 pm 

EDIT: Stickied

This can be moved into the official sticky when and if it's ever created.

Just got my April issue in the mail the other day. Great issue but I am concerned that Corsair will be pulling their ad account from MaxPC soon. I am refering to the 'Water Cool Your PC' article where on page 64 you show a Corsair Obsidian 800D case but describe it in the text as a Cooler Master 800D. Doh! Unless I missed something and CM acquired Corsair through a hostile takeover bid or something? Maybe the word 'Cool' was on Alex Castle's brain when writing the article. ;)

Anyway, if you need a proofreader let me know.

Post subject: Re: Unofficial April 2010 Issue Thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:22 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Signal2Noise wrote:
Anyway, if you need a proofreader let me know.
Starting a sentence with "anyway" isn't a good start ;)

Hey, I'm no English major and am open to ridicule. But research is the key to MPC.

I feel they're still correct. It's a Cooler Master branded case. If Corsair wants to put "Corsair" on it, Corsair should source their parts from people that don't make the same Cooler Master and strike a deal for that right. Corsair has no rights to call it their design, and I'd really ask them about it.

Antec had the Soho, but Chieftec made the Dragon. Not speaking for him, but that's all Alex was getting to without burning bridges. CoolerMaster came first and get the label connection. CM may even have a hand in the design Corsair doesn't want to touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:15 pm 

Cooler Master makes the 800D and rebranded/licensed it to Corsair? Really? Obviously this was not apparent to me and nowhere on the interwebs have I come across such info linking the two. Please provide source info if this is fact.

ANYWAY, :wink: ...to the unwary reader, such as myself, seeing 'Cooler Master 800D' written in the article alongside a picture of a case with the Corsair name and logo stamped on, not to mention many Corsair ads touting its Obsidian 800D product, it does come across as a blooper.

I'm just sayin'... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:14 am 

I just wanted to say "good job" MAXIMUMPC. I received my April issue early last week, and was very impressed. The Power Users Guide to Google, and the article on Water Cool Your PC, plus all the other reviews of Video Cards etc., was excellent. My thoughts after my initial page through were that this is a keeper, a reference issue.

Again, good job Jon Phillips and MAXIMUMPC magazine.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:22 am 

siramic wrote:
.. this is a keeper, a reference issue.

I actually concur with this. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:48 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

On the included disc under Benchmark Your Rig is Fritz Chess Benchmark 9. Well I went to the site and couldn't find it anywhere. Could someone put up a link for me please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:38 am 

Over at the forums of HardOCP.com, there is a poster named "Redbeard" with the title "Official Corsair Rep". He has been there over 4 years and has over 1,000 posts so have to assume he is legit. I remember reading some posts from him that seemed to indicate that only Corsair was involved with the design and manufacture of the 800D. Next time I log onto Hardforum.com, I will send him a message asking him if Cooler Master was involved in any way and will report back here if I get a response.

Got my April issue last Friday but just now getting around to reading it. Great to see Jon Phillips's smiling face again and to find out that Gordon won't be taking the vacant editor-in-chief" job. Hope Jon finds someone worthy of the position.. I nominate Josh Norem!! About time he is untied and released from the closet you all have been keeping him in since he resigned for a 2nd time!! The mag also needs a cat lover on board since "The Murph" left.

I am only up to page 72 when I stopped as I thought Gordon was pulling an "April Fool's Day" prank on us.. After reading "A super-duper amount of RAM!", then immediately going to the "specifications" box and seeing 1GB listed, then glancing down at the "benchmarks" and seeing nothing but red.. thought Gordon was in sarcasm mode. But I guess it was just a typo and the Gateway actually had 16GB. As Gordon mentions, having that extra RAM was wasted $!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:00 am 

The Obsidian 800D was designed in-house at Corsair, the text about Cooler Master in the issue was a misprint.

As you can imagine, we were greatly amused. :D

But seriously - the Obsidian 800D is a Corsair design from the ground up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:24 am 

Aha! I knew it! Thanks for the reaffirmation, Redbeard & Insula!

Chumly, I am disappointed considering your over 21k posts count. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:59 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Redbeard wrote:
The Obsidian 800D was designed in-house at Corsair, the text about Cooler Master in the issue was a misprint.

As you can imagine, we were greatly amused. :D

But seriously - the Obsidian 800D is a Corsair design from the ground up.

But the H50 was jointly designed by corsair along with asetek, right?

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:20 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

dedgar wrote:
On the included disc under Benchmark Your Rig is Fritz Chess Benchmark 9. Well I went to the site and couldn't find it anywhere. Could someone put up a link for me please.

The Fritz9 site won't have it.
You need to look elsewhere

http://tinyurl.com/yho9hbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:01 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

This is sort of a mag and a website comment. It seems a bit early for the April issue to already be online.