Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Broadband Modems
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:15 pm 

Editors,

I'd like to see a story on broadband modems. Everyone has articles/ratings about routers but I haven't seen much good, reliable, in-depth info. about modems. Of course, this should include both the cable and dsl types.

Most readers are stuck using the default, ISP-provided modem but I was wondering if there isn't a performance or feature benefit to buying a new modem. I've also been thinking of replacing my modem before it dies.

Searching the web provided little information on this subject. I know you guys could do a great job of researching the subject, explaining it, and providing hardware ratings or at least advising us what to look for.

Please consider the topic for a future magazine article. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Broadband Modems
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:23 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

cantonman wrote:

Most readers are stuck using the default, ISP-provided modem but I was wondering if there isn't a performance or feature benefit to buying a new modem. I've also been thinking of replacing my modem before it dies.

No one is stuck. You can always purchase your own modem. Most times, the modems used by the ISP are ones that can be purchased retail anyway. I'm partial to the Motorola and Linksys brands myself based on lack of customer issues. Before you purchase your modem, make sure that it is supported by your ISP and you make want to make sure it's D3 compatible.

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:12 am 

Perhaps stuck wasn't the best choice of word. Maybe it should've been "have resigned themselves to" or "haven't looked beyond."

Anyway, does anyone have any links to good, in depth articles? I appreciated the above suggestion but that's not in-depth enough for me. I'd still like to see a MAXPC article on them.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:38 pm 

Yes, I believe this article would be interesting as well. Please do an in-depth article about this.

Post subject: Re: Reply
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:47 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

cantonman wrote:
I appreciated the above suggestion but that's not in-depth enough for me. I'd still like to see a MAXPC article on them.

Thanks.

Wasn't trying to be in-depth. Just my opinion since I actually work for the cable company. Sheesh. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:55 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Maximum PC...Maximum Personal Computer. We've fought for them to get OUT of the Cellphone, printer, keyboard, etc periphial and back to the computer. You want the basic router?

The shock is that you've looked around and haven't found DSLreports.com/Broadbandreports.com (Same site). It's all about the internet. We even have a section in this very forum you could ask in before requesting that a huge magazine focus on a pretty un-maximum part.

Dude, I'm not being a turd. I'm just saying there's other sources for info. Our very own forum has many sections selectively divided into sections that are more than welcome to questions just like this. We as consumers do NOT need it to be on paper to make it better than digital replies. Allow MPC to get more in depth in more technical things than "How do routers work, what's the best?". I'm a network no-nothing, and there's enough here to dig up to make good selections.

ME? I use the gimme from the ISP because of what I read on MPC. It doesn't take some guy to spend countless hours for his paycheck to figure this out when it's offered by other good guys on their free time. If I buy my own, I couldn't even get on because the sandbox is different. Mine wants that sandbox or the whole house is down.

Point of the rant:

Try the Network Nook in this forum. IF it fails (seldom does), then go to Broadband Reports. Forums are one on one, articles aren't.

Post subject: Thanks for the site suggestion
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:10 am 

The site mentioned is interesting and looks like it'll provide lots of useful actual-user info.

I still consider MaxPC's written reviews and explanations more complete and reliable than information from forums. I know who these MPC writers are and they have provided credible and reliable information for years.

While I too occasionally have been peeved when more peripheral (to the main computer) information is featured in the magazine, many times when such equipment or subject is discussed it has elicited a "Gee, I didn't know that" response from me. I enjoy learning about all aspects of the computing experience.

There are fewer and fewer magazines that do good, in-depth writing without advertiser bias or that do not merely regurgitate manufacturer specs. Maximum PC happens to be my favorite. I still think that an in-depth article on broadband modems (not routers) would be useful and interesting to Maximum PC readers.
:D