Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Maximum CD Content Complaints
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:38 pm 

So, I have just cracked open my latest Maximum PC with CD subscription, hoping for some new cool stuff on the CD. What did I find? Almost Exactly the same CD as I got last month! Yes, most or all of these utilities and apps are pretty good stuff, but it's the same...over and over again. And as has been mentioned elsewhere in the forums, this is all free content easily available elsewhere!

So where is the continued value of the CD? Why should we pay almost double for our subscriptions for a CD that is almost the same every time? Yes, the answer of course is to....stop paying for the CD, get a subscription without the CD and save money. But why not create a CD that is really cool?

Years ago the CD used to contain cool game demos, which was great, especially since download speeds years ago made it almost painful to download the demos. Even after download speeds became tolerable, the convenience was good. Also, we got exposure to games we might have missed, or might have passed over in favor of another. So it was a pretty decent CD to have, and I anticipated them each month.

Then somewhere along the line it was announced they were going to change the content of the CD, and start offering all these utilities, and such. Well, it was ok at first, because we got to see a lot of cool utilities, really handy stuff. But as time marched on, the CD started to repeat itself. This, to me, shows laziness. I cant believe there is not a contiued flow of useful and cool utilities out there, even if it is just improvements on the same sort of utility, like a new video player that hits the streets, or a new calculator, or whatever. Something different.

Anyway, after a long run of subscribing to Maximum PC with the CD, I am finally (yes, I may be slow) considering changing to a non-CD subscription. But I do this with protests! The CD was really cool once upon a time. Please bring that CD back.

Thanks for listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:07 am 
Klamath
Klamath

It was useless ten years ago, with the internet, theres no need to wait a month for stuff you could have already, or already have heard of and have etc.

I remember when I first got pc gamer in 01, I thought it was so cool cause I could get demos and cool programs, this was also at the time I was forced to use my dads pc and he wouldnt let me DL ANYTHING!

Now I have my own pc and the disk just gets thrown away almost 99 percent of the time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:19 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I think it could be saved, but might take some dedicated time from editors that are already pressed for time. However...Special content would be cool.

They have interns, and interns should be forced to hold a video camera. The Tribbles are multiplying, so a good movie about the whole thing would be great to toss on the disk. I remember some cool videos of speakers blowing up, the perpendicular recording ad, pictures of kitties hidden, etc.. The "I'm Staypuff and I Fold" video could be put on there.

I haven't had the disc in a while. Hell, I'm running out of places to store the old stack. But I'd for sure come back with media content from the lab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:00 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Should make a rule that the same utility can not be on the disc two issues running. Better yet they can not appear on two out of any three issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:23 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

I stopped getting the coasters a while ago, and I'll probably go digital only next time. I hope they're not sending the same stuff on the coasters every month. They're always posting tons of stuff on the website and they might as well put it on the coasters for people that haven't found the web. Special content would be cool, but it would be cooler if it was on the web!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:00 am 

This is why I opt to subscribe to the 'nekkid' edition of the magazine. The CDs were only beneficial back in the days of non-internet households or dial-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:17 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I honestly opted for the "CD-free" subscription (which means now I only pay something like $15 a year, not a big amount--far cheaper than the $9 per issue at the store!) but since I have broadbad, I've never found the need for the CDs anyway. They were nice when they included drivers, like DirectX9 and a few others (or tirla versions of Anti-Virus apps). but for the better part of five years, I've just downloaded the apps I wanted to try from the Internet.

They were helpful at times, but two years ago, I dumped (literally) all of CDs in the trash because they were quite out dated (but I always keep the printed copies of the magazines, no matter how old they get).

Part of the reason I quit getting the CDs/DVDs was because I hate QuickTime and how they have it set to install if you don't have it, and you have to install it to use the CD in most cases (could be wrong)... that and sometimes the CDs "autoloader" wouldn't run when the CD is inserted. So I said the heck with it... if i want something bad enough, I'll just download it myself and try it that way. The CDs were really only help ful for the drivers (when they included them) and the really large games (That were like over 600-700 MB in size).