Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Official February 2010 Feedback Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:44 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Sorry for the delay, folks! Things have been crazy here, as you might imagine.

Here's a thread for you all to talk to editors about the February 2010 issue of Maximum PC!

Please don't post "Mine hasn't arrived yet" type comments in here. Likewise "there's a typo on page 25, you guys are soooo stupid" posts. Please feel free to start another thread for those issues.

Also, please try to limit "I haven't gotten my issue yet" posts

We're really interested in your feelings about the actual editorial content of the mag (please note, ads are not editorial content)

Also, if you haven't yet, subscribe to our podcast!

-nathan

Last edited by nedwards on Tue May 04, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:45 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Clarkdale article: Great stuff. Well written, in-depth analysis and a surprising result. I'd love to have seen you guys overclock this chip, though ... the 'net reports people pushing past 5GHz with these new chips and I've love to see some Maximum confirmation. A

$647 PC: How many times are you going to publish a pictorial on how to put together a PC? PCs are like Lego these days ... putting one together is trivial and not worth the space in your mag.

Designing a PC for a particular use withing a budget, though, that is interesting .. and doesn't take up much space. I like the idea of designing a cheap PC ... they've never been cheaper! ... but enough 'how to slot a CPU into its socket' already. I just built a new PC, using a socket I've never seen before, and Intel's instruction sheet was just as informative as this article. C-

Casual Games: Done before, with some of the same games mentioned, but I still lost a workday of productivity exploring these games. Fun stuff! B

LCD White Paper: Added to my reference pile. LCD tech is complicated and filled with acronyms; you did a great job of distilling the info and making it digestible. The WP is always my favourite part of the magazine. A

How-To: Optimize Windows Use Again, a lot of old tricks .. but I found a couple of new tricks that have already helped me a great deal .. particularly the Firefox tricks. Modern GUIs have so many little tricks in them that it is easy learn something new with articles like this one. B

Honourable Mention: Quinn Norton. This lady knows how to package an interesting and novel argument into a short column. Hang on to her .. and perhaps ask Halfhill and McDonald to pay attention to her work. It is refreshing to read a column that isn't based on a conversation that has been sucking up 'net bandwidth for the last 2 months. A+

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:52 am 

Just 2 bones to pick over an otherwise okay issue.

1. The $647 PC article. Why did you spec such a piece of crap mobo?
Did you read the customer reviews on Newegg? have you read all the ones from people who bought based on your article, and how unhappy they are?

2. the Droid. THe keyboard is actually pretty good. I like it better than my Storm keyboard.

The rest of the issue was good, and the router shootout was really helpful.

Gonzo out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:28 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

nedwards wrote:
Sorry for the delay, folks! Things have been crazy here, as you might imagine.

Here's a thread for you all to talk to editors about the February 2010 issue of Maximum PC!
Hello March 2010 April issue.