Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Maximum PC's New Year's Resolutions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:52 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I got to thinking about them this morning, for myself, and then thought, hey, why not suggest a few for Maximum PC? Could be good?

Here's my list of suggested Resolutions for Maximum PC, the magazine and website:

1. In Best of the Best, you should be able to click on link and find all the parts you would need to build a computer. There are no suggestions for memory, or networking components (wired and wireless), nor power supplies.
  2. In Best of the Best, there should be a valid review for each part on that list. If there isn't a review, how did it get on the list? If there's a review, where is it? I'm referring specifically to the Torqx drive that's on there. No review. No data. No link. No nothing.
  3. You have 11 months to come up with the Christmas Guide. You haven't had one in two years. Get crackin.
  4. Resolve not to build a bargin-bin Dream Machine this year. Feel free to skip the $2000 paint job always, however.
  5. It would be nice to see a review of photo tagging and organizing software, both free and paid solutions. It might not be a very popular thing but for some of us with collections it would be extremely helpful.

I'm sure I'll think of some more; I'm sure some other folks have recommendations too. ;)

Love the mag, especially appreciate the forums. Keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:52 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

My new year's resolution will be 1680x1050 and 1280x1024

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:21 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

pray for Skulltrail to be re-released...for the i7+ platform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:15 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

My New Years resolution is to figure out all the shit that goes with running an SSD in Win7.

To finally get my Folding Farm all together and running well.

To Fold my ass off like never before and triple what I got this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:32 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I was thinking in terms of suggested resolutions for MaxPC, but, good on yas. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:46 am 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

MattGreer wrote:
I got to thinking about them this morning, for myself, and then thought, hey, why not suggest a few for Maximum PC? Could be good?

Here's my list of suggested Resolutions for Maximum PC, the magazine and website:

1. In Best of the Best, you should be able to click on link and find all the parts you would need to build a computer. There are no suggestions for memory, or networking components (wired and wireless), nor power supplies.
  2. In Best of the Best, there should be a valid review for each part on that list. If there isn't a review, how did it get on the list? If there's a review, where is it? I'm referring specifically to the Torqx drive that's on there. No review. No data. No link. No nothing.
  3. You have 11 months to come up with the Christmas Guide. You haven't had one in two years. Get crackin.
  4. Resolve not to build a bargin-bin Dream Machine this year. Feel free to skip the $2000 paint job always, however.
  5. It would be nice to see a review of photo tagging and organizing software, both free and paid solutions. It might not be a very popular thing but for some of us with collections it would be extremely helpful.

I'm sure I'll think of some more; I'm sure some other folks have recommendations too. ;)

Love the mag, especially appreciate the forums. Keep up the good work!

they don't care about people.
the real name of maximum pc is: MINIMUM PC.
max pc is just a poor weblog, with a few useful guides & reviews.
don't believe me? just ask people about max pc.
i hate it when they simply & easily ignore people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:36 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If they didn't care they wouldn't have a website, forums and podcast.

And they're not ignoring you they are busy pumping out a monthly magazine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:23 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

somebody needs a hug...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:14 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Or some Paxil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:24 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Sina wrote:

We just ignore people who are consistently rude to us.

Post subject: Re: Maximum PC's New Year's Resolutions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:35 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

MattGreer wrote:

1. We're working on the links in #1 right now. We'll fix that by the end of this month.

We don't review power supplies or memory, simply because we don't feel like we can qualitatively measure their performance and reliability well enough to give them a verdict given the equipment we have. Networking components are built into PCs for the most part. Onboard Ethernet is good enough for desktop use, and most people should just buy the same brand of USB Wi-Fi adapter as their router to maximize compatibility.

2. Sometimes stuff gets added to the BotB before the review is posted. I'll get Norm to make sure that that the BotB doesn't get updated before the reviews are posted in the future. If it's on the list, you can rest assured that we've tested it, and it is good. We also don't write full reviews for individual CPUs, but we do do test them all.

3. I killed the Gift Guide because everyone else is doing them, and we weren't finding stuff that was awesome anymore. You're actually only the first or second person who has complained about it, so I feel like that was probably a good decision. As always, I'd rather not doing something than do a half-assed job of it.

4. It's too early to say, but I'd be surprised if there's a bargain bin dream machine this year. I'd guess that it's probably not going to be a $20k monster, but it'll be impressive. The nice thing about doing a cheap one every few years is that it lets us reset the whole thing, so it stops being so much about topping last year's model and just about making something awesome.

5. We've done some how-tos on that topic before, but it's something I'm struggling with now. If you don't mind spending the money, Photoshop Lightroom is really good, but it doesn't include face tagging yet.

Regardless, thanks for your feedback, and sorry for the slow response. I was more or less offline from the 18th until the 4th, so it's taken me a while to get through the deluge of email (3000 messages on Monday morning, yay) and forum stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:54 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

3000 messages??? I can't imagine...

Thank you for the thorough response. I do appreciate that you spend enough time in the forum to read these posts and am always flattered when you respond.

I'm the second person who has complained. I'm also the first person who complained two years ago, heh. You've got 11 months! C'mon! I wouldn't be requesting it if I didn't like it so much. Shoot, let me write the article for you, and someone from your staff can slap their name on it. I'll do a good job, I promise! ;)

I'll check out Lightroom; thanks for the tip!

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:58 pm 

willsmith wrote:
Sina wrote:

We just ignore people who are consistently rude to us.

Wish we had that luxury with Jipstyle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:46 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

I would like to add another one to your list:

6. Bring the back the good ol' Wildebeast and animal trivia to reviews.