Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Finally!! The ATI 5850
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:44 pm 

I'm a former boot fan and current MaxPC groupie, but I'm starting to wonder if my reverence for your awesomeness is misplaced. I should have seen the signs when we stopped getting hippopotamus trivia, but I blindly continued my worship. But this is going too far. A few years ago, I could not wait to get the new issue of MaximumPC because there was always some new, cutting edge technology up for review. MaxPC was always my first source for new video cards, sound cards, etc. But here it is in December, and we just got our very first whiff of the ATI 5850 cards. The Geforce GTX 275 card was still the 'best' 250$ card up until last issue. The problem is, I've had the ASUS EAH5850 running in my system since October!! Come on guys! Where were you on this one? Not only were you slow on that, but in your huge video card review, you didn't even mention the 5970s. I fear that you are slipping. Please pull yourselves out of your video game 'testing' sessions a little faster and give me the cutting edge info I need!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:55 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I'm not associated with the magazine, but you do understand that it takes a while for something to get printed, right?

Did they review/mention the 5850 prior to your purchase on the website? Just wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:51 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Print is just that, print. Any other magazine you read have it either?

If you would have been on the ball like MaxPC and reading this new fangled thing we call the Internet, you would have seen the FREE, following reviews and mentions:

GPU Roundup

The 5870 reviewed. In September.

5870 again.

The 5970. Last November.

I could go on, but you can see the search results yourself.

Back during Boot days, we relied on that mag for all of our news. They were one of two publications actually covering the shit we liked. But this is the age of the Internet. And while MaxPC also has a damned good magazine they are selling, they also try to keep the website up to date with the latest news. It's a lot of work with very limited budget and personnel. They do the best they can and I think they stay on top of it for the most part considering all the websites that have NOTHING but their website to keep track of and even then, have 30-40 people doing the work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:36 am 

What is this interweb you speak of? Is it a series of tubes?

Ok smary pants! I do read the site, and checked it several times during the time I was looking to buy my video card.

I can use that box that says 'search' too and if you look, they didn't review the 5850's until mid November! Like I said in my post, I bought my card in early October. I spent about two weeks before purchasing the card researching to find out if the GTX 275 or the 5850 was the better card to go with.

So MaximumPC was late on reviewing a card that had been available for sale for at least a month and a half! This is a far cry from the days of reading about a new card and then waiting a month or two before it became available.

So your comments on using the website only go to further my point! Even without the restrictions of print and distribution, MaximumPC was slow.

I'm not trying to bash the magazine, I love it! I'm just trying to keep it the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:07 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

supakeepa wrote:
What is this interweb you speak of? Is it a series of tubes?

Ok smary pants! I do read the site, and checked it several times during the time I was looking to buy my video card.

I can use that box that says 'search' too and if you look, they didn't review the 5850's until mid November! Like I said in my post, I bought my card in early October. I spent about two weeks before purchasing the card researching to find out if the GTX 275 or the 5850 was the better card to go with.

So MaximumPC was late on reviewing a card that had been available for sale for at least a month and a half! This is a far cry from the days of reading about a new card and then waiting a month or two before it became available.

So your comments on using the website only go to further my point! Even without the restrictions of print and distribution, MaximumPC was slow.

I'm not trying to bash the magazine, I love it! I'm just trying to keep it the best.

I was directly addressing this point:

supakeepa wrote:
But here it is in December, and we just got our very first whiff of the ATI 5850 cards. The Geforce GTX 275 card was still the 'best' 250$ card up until last issue. The problem is, I've had the ASUS EAH5850 running in my system since October!! Come on guys! Where were you on this one?

I love the mag and the web site too. Not fanboy love, but love the attitude with which it is famous for and the cutting, no BS attitude they take on a lot of stuff.

My major complaints are the reviews of things in general. Go to Hard drives and on the very first page, you see shit older than dirt by technology standards. And that's true about most of their review categories.

However, having said that, I also realize that MaxPC doesn't have the $$$ to go out and buy every single thing that hits the market. And if they don't have it, they can't review it. So my complaint would be that MaximumPC doesn't get enough hardware to review.

That's kinda common for a review mag and site that doesn't pull any punches in most of their reviews.