Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: EVGA MBs. Where's the love?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:34 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

My subscription dates back to 'boot', I listen to the podcasts, read the news on the home page semi-religiously, but seldom get to the forums. I've had a nagging question, though. I have been building my and my family's PCs since the mid-90s. I love the tech, graphics, etc. but am no uber-geek (or I'd know how to put the oomlats over the 'u' in uber).

Why the heck doesn't MPC review EVGA's awesome motherboards? I understand they can be pricey, but they're built for the enthusiast, have awesome support, AND ARE WARRANTED FOR LIFE! I've completely converted to them my last 4 rigs (9 towers in the house at the moment - one on a college campus).

They get mentioned only occasionally - almost never in comparisons - for their graphics cards, so I guess I can't completely rant about that.

But, c'mon! They're a premier MB vendor! What's the deal?

Gordon?

Is this thing on...?

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:50 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

ü = alt+0252 (hold alt and type 0252 on the num-pad)

Would like to see reviews of more mobos in general. As well, the more modestly priced ones (Foxconn, ASRock, Supermicro, Biostar). I always wonder if these lesser known brands are as good as the biggies (eVGA, MSI, ASUS).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:25 am 
Willamette
Willamette

In my experience with mobos, I have only maybe run across one or two defective boards (and I bought quite a few of them from ECS). Yes, sure, maybe an ECS board crapped out here and there after like 2-3 years of use, but for only $40-50 in some cases, it was more feasible at the time then spending $200+ on a board (and most of the PCs ended up being used as general internet workstations anyway, so overclocking wasn't an issue). I honestly think it's about the chipset theu use, and the types of capacitors they use. I think after that it really doesn't matter (unless there is some overclocking stuff that you want). I've bought both expensive and cheap boards, and have had both be really good, and at times, have had both be really bad. I mainly look at the physical construction of the board, as long as it does what i want it to (which doesn't involve any overclocking or modding).

But, I do agree that I'd like to see more reviews of the "mid-range" boards. It seems that MaxPC has (in a way) gotten a little to "max" in that they focus more on the gaming components, rather than maybe spread it out a bit to fit other areas too (like video/photo editing, etc). I know that the bulk of readers are gamers, but opening up the target audience a little would be nice. I know some that read only the "Ask the Doctor" colum and the reviews on general hardware "ike external hard drives, routers, etc" and skip the rest.

Me personally, I only game occassionally, so I don't care so much about the latest ATI dual-core video card, or the Intel X58 chipset boards or things like that. I like the mid-range stuff. I actually hate buying the latest and greatest mobos and video cards because they're often times bloody expensive. I don't mind getting the newest hard drives though (since I do a lot of programming, which involves a lot of hard disk usage).