Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MaxPC Softwhere of Choice
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:40 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Just curious what the MaxPc offices uses as their AV of choice? Their OS? Their Browser. Etc.

Are they a firefox Company? A Chrome Company?
Norton? McAffe? Eset?
XP? NT? Vista? PB&J? 7? Umbutu? OS X?

Etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:09 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

All IT issued machines here have Norton Corporate on them. The rest is kind of up to us. I have a Win7 and an OS X machine on my desk. We all have Office and the Adobe stuff we use for making the mag or site (Photoshop, Indesign, Acrobat, Word, Excel). We use Outlook for mail.

Browsers are up to the user. Most people use Firefox on the Maximum PC team, although there are a few tentative users of Chrome and I think at least one person is using IE8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:16 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

willsmith wrote:
...at least one person is using IE8.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:33 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

willsmith wrote:
All IT issued machines here have Norton Corporate on them. The rest is kind of up to us. I have a Win7 and an OS X machine on my desk. We all have Office and the Adobe stuff we use for making the mag or site (Photoshop, Indesign, Acrobat, Word, Excel). We use Outlook for mail.

Browsers are up to the user. Most people use Firefox on the Maximum PC team, although there are a few tentative users of Chrome and I think at least one person is using IE8.

So you don't have one unified OS? That i didn't expect.
Do you edit the magazine on Macs? I work for a magazine myself (though it;s as far left feind of my hobby in computers as you guys are to Future US sister magazine Pregnacy)
And while our office is windows based for the magazine department is mac, mainly cause everyone from the printers to the exterior design staff are all Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:00 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

willsmith wrote:

i'm curious as to how your staff feel about the new report out that firefox is the least secure browser in the world now and IE8 is the safest....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:16 pm 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

staypuff wrote:
willsmith wrote:

i'm curious as to how your staff feel about the new report out that firefox is the least secure browser in the world now and IE8 is the safest....

that report was nonsense, if you read the actual report their logic was since Firefox has the most security fixes they are the most vulnerable. what that really means is that firefox is the most active plugging security holes.

if that report had actually done some kind of experiment (IE: running various kinds of attacks and seeing which ones worked with the most frequency) maybe it would have been legitimate. by their standards the way to have the "most secure" browser is to never release a security update.

just compiling bug fix numbers is a laughable way to determine the most secure browser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:18 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

The person using IE8 is laughing their ass off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:20 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Airheadq wrote:

Not half as loudly as I am at the word "softwhere" in the thread title. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:52 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Gailim wrote:
staypuff wrote:
willsmith wrote:

that report was nonsense, if you read the actual report their logic was since Firefox has the most security fixes they are the most vulnerable. what that really means is that firefox is the most active plugging security holes.

if that report had actually done some kind of experiment (IE: running various kinds of attacks and seeing which ones worked with the most frequency) maybe it would have been legitimate. by their standards the way to have the "most secure" browser is to never release a security update.

just compiling bug fix numbers is a laughable way to determine the most secure browser

what report are you talking about.... the one i've seen took the info from all the top security companies and how many vulnerabilities each browser had..... nothing whatsoever was even stated about security fixes anywhere in the report.... the only laughable thing here is that people are still spouting off about firefox which is the worst browser now.... it's actually crashed 3 different computers of mine.... also uses more resources than any other browser....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:48 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Quakindude wrote:
Airheadq wrote:

Not half as loudly as I am at the word "softwhere" in the thread title. :shock:

Ha! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:40 am 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

staypuff wrote:
Gailim wrote:
staypuff wrote:
willsmith wrote:

what report are you talking about.... the one i've seen took the info from all the top security companies and how many vulnerabilities each browser had..... nothing whatsoever was even stated about security fixes anywhere in the report.... the only laughable thing here is that people are still spouting off about firefox which is the worst browser now.... it's actually crashed 3 different computers of mine.... also uses more resources than any other browser....

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/s ... le_browser

that one

Quote:
accounting for 44 percent of all browser vulnerabilities reported

read the actual report here
http://www.cenzic.com/downloads/Cenzic_ ... 2-2009.pdf

notice that every time they talk about vulnerabilities they say "published" or "reported", never "we found". it's mostly about what types of attacks are most prevalent, the part on specific browsers is not that big. The point of report was never actually to rate browsers (which is what most lazy news services are reporting) but to help web companies identify which types of attacks are most prevalent. as such they actually never ran tests themselves, they merely took info that was already published by the browser, software, and other research companies. that makes sense when you consider the objective of the report. Since Mozilla publishes every single bug they find, its only natural that as the number of FF users increase, so does the bug report list. unfortunately this report misconstrues that into a weakness. with MS your left wondering, is there a bug? have they fixed it? we only find out when they tell us. MZ takes the opposite approach, telling us how many bugs there are, what they are, and if they have been fixed yet.

if they had actually tested themselves, by repeatedly assaulting these browsers with every attack they could think of, and reported the results; this might have been a decent report on browser vulnerability (which this report was never trying to be in the first place). as it stands it really tells us nothing about browser vulnerability because of their flawed reasoning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:09 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

the report i saw quoted multiple top end security companies that DID test all the browsers.... and found that firefox was the worst with IE8 as the best.... i'll see if i can find it... they tested them with all known vulnerabilities if i remember correctly... i know they came out with IE8 for specifically the reason to gap all these vulnerabilities...