In the most recent podcast, there was a decent discussion about sound cards and the lack thereof in many builds (they're like the redhead step-child of the computer building community). And while I use integrated audio myself, it did spark ideas for a couple articles:
- Tom should build a PC with the goal to satisfy audiophiles. I would expect it to be a small form factor with lots of storage (for music), excellent speakers and a good, discrete sound card. Another option would be to get a remote control for selecting music from a comfortable location, like a couch or recliner.
- Another article would be a discussion about audio codecs. Include a comparison between integrated and discrete audio. Similar to a monitor test you performed a while back, select a random group of people and have them listen to 4 different setups and see what they think:
This might point out which is more important, the speakers or the sound card.
- Sound card with high end speakers
- Sound card with lower end speakers ($30-50)
- Integrated audio with high end speakers
- Integrated audio with lower end speakers
Just a thought.