Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: OCZ Vector 150 240 GB SSD by Josh Norem
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:24 am 

Boy your statement in that review ( To be clear, we consider all the SSD with a 5-year warranty to be "enthusiast" drives whereas three-year warranty drives are merely "consumer".) What strange about that is on your Performance Build Computer you have a Samsung 840 Evo 500GB which has a three-year warranty FYI: All Samsung SSD have only a three-year warranty except the Pro Version. But on your Baseline Build you use Intel 530 which has a 5-year warranty.
You rated the Samsung SSD as one of the Best SSD out there. So are you tell us we better off buying something with only a three-year or a 5-year warranty you got me so confused. Considering that when the warranty up on the three-year unit there will be better fast SSD out which a real enthusiast will upgrade to. Someone that base there buying decision on how long the warranty is not a enthusiast but a consumer looking to keep something for a long time.

Last edited by BillB0B on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: OCZ Vector 150 240 GB SSD by Josh Norem
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:25 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

SSDs have maxed out SATA connections, so in my opinion, there's no point in getting a "faster" SSD if it's on SATA still. And honestly, in reality, "faster" may not mean much anyway depending on the job. Loading times include not only throwing stuff from secondary memory to RAM, but initializations. For instance, if on boot after settling Windows only chews up 1.5GB of RAM, how come my load time from a blazing fast 550MB/s SSD isn't 3 seconds for Windows (it's usually 10-15)?

Storage is one of those things I don't like to just upgrade based on objective storage performance alone. It's so variant on overall system performance (and I'm not the kind of person who wants everything to load instantly as possible) that I kind of stop caring about it. Sure, I like an SSD for my system, but only because that's the only place I've seen storage performance really work well in. Hell, people are talking about using NAS and Thunderbolt connections for workstation storage. The former is slow as hell. The fastest economical network you can get at the moment is 1Gbps, a far cry from 6Gbps SATA.

In other words... yes, I want my storage to last longer, not perform better (necessarily).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:06 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
SSDs have maxed out SATA connections, so in my opinion, there's no point in getting a "faster" SSD if it's on SATA still. And honestly, in reality, "faster" may not mean much anyway depending on the job. Loading times include not only throwing stuff from secondary memory to RAM, but initializations. For instance, if on boot after settling Windows only chews up 1.5GB of RAM, how come my load time from a blazing fast 550MB/s SSD isn't 3 seconds for Windows (it's usually 10-15)?

Storage is one of those things I don't like to just upgrade based on objective storage performance alone. It's so variant on overall system performance (and I'm not the kind of person who wants everything to load instantly as possible) that I kind of stop caring about it. Sure, I like an SSD for my system, but only because that's the only place I've seen storage performance really work well in. Hell, people are talking about using NAS and Thunderbolt connections for workstation storage. The former is slow as hell. The fastest economical network you can get at the moment is 1Gbps, a far cry from 6Gbps SATA.

In other words... yes, I want my storage to last longer, not perform better (necessarily).

Well for SSD drives to get faster that they are now you will need something other than 6Gbps Sata connection as you state that is already max out. I was aware of that when I wrote the message. My first SSD was a OCZ Vertex-Plus which is just a little faster that my 500 GB WD Black enterprise BTW: I'm still use it. I just upgrade to 2 Intel 335 180 which were on sale for $120.00 each . I get so tired of reading reviews were all they care about is how fast Windows Boots I could care less. I what to know if they R/W at the speed the company claim also match the OPS that claimed . I have the Intel setup as a Raid 0 array and getting around 1100 MB/s reads and 1000 MB/s write.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:01 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

For most consumers, Windows boot time is the only thing most people will actually appreciate. Everything else is either towards a more niche market or servers.

It'd be nice if they ran a suite of games on it, but the problem there is storage is still too expensive for a nice collection of games and many games are designed with keeping bandwidth use down as much as possible anyway. Or they just have long initialization periods that are unavoidable.