Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Notebook Discussion: Speed vs. Battery Life
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:57 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm looking at getting a notebook/netbook with extremely long battery life. I assume that a netbook would have the longest battery life since they are designed to be very energy efficent (or so I assume)

Also, I'm trying to find an relatively inexpensive 15.4" laptop for casual gaming w/o breaking the 950$ CAD limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:01 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Netbook? Asus 1000HE. End of story. For the other, I has no idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:03 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

bigtoyota479 wrote:
Netbook? Asus 1000HE. End of story. For the other, I has no idea.

the N10J is awesome too, and actually has a real GPU. With a six-cell battery, its battery life is nearly as long provided you use the GMA 950 for the entire time... the 9300M sucks the battery like crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Actually, I was wrong. The new longest lasting netbook is the MSI Wind U123, according to the last issue of MPC Mag. It beats out the 1000HE by two hours. My bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:58 am 

look into Lenovo IdeaPads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:30 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

My Asus N50 is pretty dang powerful. It can run most games at all high settings at WXGA. It got 4 hours of battery life when it was new. After 8 months, it still gets 3.5 hours on a 6-cell. Not bad.

Oh and it was $950 USD back in December, so the price on it should have dropped to around $750 USD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:07 am 

3.5 is pretty nice on a 6. My Thinkpad (not a netbook) gets from 4.5-6 (never seems able to make up its mind) hours on its 9 cell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:51 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

These are all netbooks though. They may be power sippers, but they also have itty bitty batteries to match. You can get a full sized laptop, with more battery, that matches them on average.

I think a netbook is for going to the internet to read email, forums, twitter, etc...but not much else. So what's 2 hours of battery life if it's just cruising the web? I'm in a percentage of buyers (under 1% I bet) that want one for very simple tasks like fuel mapping on vehicles and simple excel/Calc input on the cheap, while being portable. Battery life is fine for this.

A decent 15" screened laptop can be upgraded in just the battery area. If they come with one small pack, upgrade to two larger packs and I'm guessing it'll do anything you want and hang with the power sipping netbooks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:01 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I got my Asus G50Vt-X5 from Best Buy this Spring for $899. Unknown to me was the fact that it came with a 9-cell. So not only was I able to get a decent gaming laptop for under 1k but it came with extra battery life standard. If you can find one it is highly recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:36 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Perhaps consider an acer timeline? In between a laptop and notebook (if there is such an area). CULV chip, more power than a netbook, lighter than most laptops, very long battery life.

DON'T buy a netbook because it's trendy. Buy because you know you're not going to be limited by it, because you're not doing anything intensive with one, and like the mobility/size/keyboard. Yes - a netbook will play old games fine - quake 3 engine games, unreal engine 1, lotta stuff on gog.com etc - but it's by no means what I'd call a casual gaming machine. Nor will I suggest one unless you understand, netbooks on atom 1.6ghz chips aren't powerful, and prone to slowdown when looking at flash, multitasking, etc. Try one from a friend, or in a store. They're not bad, and you CAN get great battery life on them (depends on which one, or which battery option).

You want something mobile with long battery life - that's really all we have to go on - it doesn't mean netbook yet. Not by a longshot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:59 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Beomagi wrote:
Perhaps consider an acer timeline?...DON'T buy a netbook because it's trendy.
Great wording. These things have became pretty trendy just to have...like an iPhone.

I think it's important to note that these things are comparable to 1,000Mhz Pentium4's (maybe P3's), have very low 3D graphical abilities (2D has it's limits too), and were released with Linux based OS's solely on these small limitations. Now that they're being sold with WinXP, that doesn't really improve their performance, but rather not force a user to retrain themselves into yet another OS.

But they're very low dollar up front. If you know what they're good for and can use it in that confinement, they're very desirable and priced right. But to have the name "netbook" makes one simply think they're smaller "Notebooks", which they are far from.

An Acer Aspire AS5735-6694 (deactivated) is still under $600 and may still be able to be picked up at a local BestBuy...on sale for clearance. It's an actual laptop, doesn't break the bank, and I've gotten 4 hours out of one charge as delivered with the 6-cell (just watching movies on a plane and web-browsing on the ground. Maybe 2-1/2 if I game).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:06 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

I would imagine they're closer to 1Ghz PIII's. Nothing can be so innefficient as to match a 1Ghz P4 when running at 1.6Ghz. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:52 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Let's try not to compare architectures like that. It can perform better than the celeron 900s on average - but just as the pentium4's achilles heel was an extra goto 10, the architecture of the atom will do well on some things, and flounder on others.

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdo ... i=3321&p=7

Intel is actually an impressive company having so many different architectures around. I'm wondering how long they can keep this up.

I love the little chip. Replaced my laptop with a netbook, because I was well aware of the power, and knew how much I actually needed. I picked up an hp 110 xp with 1366x768 res. It's quite comfortable to use, but I'd never recommend one unless a person were aware of the lack of power compared to a regular core 2/turion x2 in most laptops.

Even the new CULV processors are "underpowered" by comparison.

Last edited by Beomagi on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:55 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

I picked one up for 3 reasons.

1. I needed a laptop for school. I only needed web browsing, emailing, and word processing. I have 5 desktops at home. 3 dual cores, and 2 quads. Why would I need a full fledged laptop?

2. It's cheap! 300 bucks for an Asus 1005HA. Anything I can't do with the netbook, I do at home on a quad.

3. Portability. 2 lbs man, 2 lbs. It's light, its' small, and very easy to pack around. We do travel out of state and out of the country from time to time, and it's really easy to squeeze it in somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:35 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

yeah I grabbed an N10J. $500 netbook with a 9300M? sweet, a 1.6Ghz atom is still leagues ahead of the 600Mhz Celeron that's in my notebook. :lol:
The worst part of the thing is trying to make it look like I'm taking notes in class while I'm really playing CoD4. :wink: