Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: USB Hub HELP!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:01 am 

Whats the purpose of a USB hub? i have 4 ports on my laptop and i use them all and i need more. With a USB hub does it basically create more ports or does it share a current one? Will it eventually run outta juice cause it doesnt create more but split the power of one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:54 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

A USB Hub splits one USB port into 2, 4, or 7 ports.

You "loose" one port to occupy the hub.

The smaller "thumbhubs" such as this http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310730 Do not have their own power, and must tap the USB Bus. I only recommend these for low-powered devices, such as mice, thumbdrives, etc.

Larger hubs loose portability, and come with their own AC power, but can power anything, printers, scanners, Video capture, etc. An example is here http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310731

SC64

Post subject: Re: USB Hub HELP!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:51 am 

serialtoon wrote:
Whats the purpose of a USB hub?

Simply put a USB hub allows you to attach more USB devices.

As Serialtoon stated hubs come in two flavors, powered and unpowered. The unpowered use only the power from the USB port. The powered hubs have an AC adapter to provide the necessary power. In general you want a powered hub for items that don't have their own power supply, mice, keyboards, head phones, etc. You can use an unpowered hub for devices with their own AC adapters, printers, scanners, CDRW drives, etc.

You should also make sure that the hub supports the version of USB that you have. You can use a USB 1 hub on USB 2 and vice versa, but they will both operate at USB1 speeds. If your laptop supports USB2 Hi-speed, make sure you get a USB2 Hi-speed hub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:03 am 
Team Member
Team Member

IIRC, each USB port can support up to 127 devices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:23 pm 

yea i got a USB 2.0 hi-Speed....actually i have 4 of em. and im tired of unplugging things around....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:15 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

deject wrote:
IIRC, each USB port can support up to 127 devices.

Actually, the Main Root can support 127 Devices. Devices include USB Hubs.

If there are two USB Ports on the motherboard, chances are that those are from one root.

If there are four, they might be from one root, or possibly two roots.

Example: 2 USB Ports on back of unit, plus the root, equals 3 USB Devices. Add two 7-Port Hubs gives 14 ports, and tallies 5 devices. Add fourteen 7-port hubs onto those two others gives 98 ports to use, and 19 devices used for a total of 117 devices. Two more 4-port hubs could theoretically be used to maximize the bus at 127.

You can also daisy-chain up to 5 tiers of devices in total. The root on the motherboard counts as one, so 3 hubs could be used between the motherboard and the device.

Also, the maximum length between devices is 16'. anything longer requires a powered hub to boost signal integrity.

SC64

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:53 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

SuperChip64 wrote:
Actually, the Main Root can support 127 Devices. Devices include USB Hubs.

If there are two USB Ports on the motherboard, chances are that those are from one root.

If there are four, they might be from one root, or possibly two roots.

Example: 2 USB Ports on back of unit, plus the root, equals 3 USB Devices. Add two 7-Port Hubs gives 14 ports, and tallies 5 devices. Add fourteen 7-port hubs onto those two others gives 98 ports to use, and 19 devices used for a total of 117 devices. Two more 4-port hubs could theoretically be used to maximize the bus at 127.

You can also daisy-chain up to 5 tiers of devices in total. The root on the motherboard counts as one, so 3 hubs could be used between the motherboard and the device.

Also, the maximum length between devices is 16'. anything longer requires a powered hub to boost signal integrity.

SC64

ahhh, ok. at least I had the 127 number right... :lol: