Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I have one 512MB Corsair XMS 3202 v2.2, upgrade to 1GB dual?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:42 pm 

Ive got one stick of 512MB Corsair PC3200 ram, model XMS3202 v2.2, CL=2 memory. Running on a Intel D875PBZ board, if I am missing out by not using dual channel memory, would another stick of this same RAM work?

There's a whole sh*tload of different Corsair models out right now (oversaturation?), so I need to find out if the stick I have is indeed, a good choice, and whether it is dual-channel capable?

I see others plugging PC3500, even PC4000 Ballistix memory in these mobos. I would think the RAM speed (400Mhz at PC3200) running 2x with the CPU bus speed of 800Mhz (P4 3.4 Ghz), would have better balance than fractional multiples in clock speed between bus speed and RAM speed.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:01 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I don't find that exact model number at their site, but it does come up in google. "XMS3202" keeps comming up as a Platinum line. Odd. Anyway, it looks like it's dual channel to me.

I don't have much experience (ok, none) with Corsair modules. As I'm a OCZ whore, but with all the benchmarking systems popping up on google using that memory, I can only assume that it's a good stick.

Now that I've shown my ignorance of the XMS3202...I'll probably not be the only one saying to get a second stick of the same thing and go dual channel, but only go to a different rating if you intend to overclock. P4's love clockspeed and if you can get the FSB up into the 1Ghz range, it really starts to cook...which is why some would want PC4400 in their slots vs. 3200. But, alas...I've heard that board might not clock too well, so I'd just KISS and save your worries and simply order another stick. When you do order it, make sure that it's the exact same P/N! It may be too hard to match this yourself, but getting the same P/N is pretty damned close....I think anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:55 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I dont think that is the actual model number...most of Corsair's models seem to begin with CMX****-3200***

See if you can find anything like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:24 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
one more of what you have already will work just fine as dual channel, only issue would be they are not "matched" memory, this may give you less bandwidth, compared to dual matched, but it is not that much. cl2 memory is pretty fast and should be able to keep up with overclocking to a point, then the difference of matched and unmatched may show up as you reach higher speeds, 3500 and 4000 is nice (and expensive at 3-4 hundred a gig)only really useful when you water cool, phasechange etc. as it will keep up with the higher clocking that can be done with better cooling. the Intel bd wont clock up as well as some, so buy one more stick and enjoy double the mem bandwidth.

Post subject: Re: I have one 512MB Corsair XMS 3202 v2.2, upgrade to 1GB d
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:17 am 
Willamette
Willamette

bondavi wrote:
Ive got one stick of 512MB Corsair PC3200 ram, model XMS3202 v2.2, CL=2 memory. Running on a Intel D875PBZ board, if I am missing out by not using dual channel memory, would another stick of this same RAM work?

There's a whole sh*tload of different Corsair models out right now (oversaturation?), so I need to find out if the stick I have is indeed, a good choice, and whether it is dual-channel capable?

I see others plugging PC3500, even PC4000 Ballistix memory in these mobos. I would think the RAM speed (400Mhz at PC3200) running 2x with the CPU bus speed of 800Mhz (P4 3.4 Ghz), would have better balance than fractional multiples in clock speed between bus speed and RAM speed.

Thanks!

the thoery is that you need to have exactly the same RAM in both the dimms. then it *should* work right...the dual channel kits are just for peice of mind. the manufactuer apparently tests the two sticks together and approves that they work together...but, if your mobo has dual channel capabilities, and you throw another stick of the same speed, size, and latency, it should kick you up to dual channel speeds if you put it in hte correct dimm