Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: CPU TEMPERATURE ISSUES
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:08 pm 

Stupid question... At what temperature can I let my processor reach before I start getting worried? I have an asus p4c800-e deluxe with a P4C 2.8GHz and under normal conditions it runs at 100F and at peak load (like rendering videos) 140F... I like to try to keep it around 100-110F, but if it jumps up like that is that okay? :(

Thanks!
nouveaux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:23 pm 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

Well if no overclocking is involved and your using the retail HS that came with proc, don't worry about it. Worry when it reaches 180 degrees. Pull out the fry pan and cook some eggs.

Post subject: Re: CPU TEMPERATURE ISSUES
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:12 pm 

Nouveaux21 wrote:
I like to try to keep it around 100-110F, but if it jumps up like that is that okay? :(

Thanks!
nouveaux

It's absolutely normal for the temp. to raise when running intense programs. For example: games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:27 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Yup, these folks are right...

As long as you are not overclocking the proc, then you should have no problems using a standard setup. However, if you are overclocking, then you need to take cooling into consideration and work to chill that baby as much as possible. It is normal to see temps rise when doing any type of processing. So, if you are a heavy gamer and you are seeing any types of errors during game play (lockups and such) you might want to add a fan to help cool the system a little more and see if that solves your problem. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets really extream like wiseoracle said.

Post subject: Re: CPU TEMPERATURE ISSUES
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:43 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Nouveaux21 wrote:
Stupid question... At what temperature can I let my processor reach before I start getting worried? I have an asus p4c800-e deluxe with a P4C 2.8GHz and under normal conditions it runs at 100F and at peak load (like rendering videos) 140F... I like to try to keep it around 100-110F, but if it jumps up like that is that okay?

I have the same CPU in an Abit board, and yes...it'll get that high on air. I, personally, put a limit of 175F/80C being too high for the core temp in P4's. I've placed that as my own threshold from seeing others letting the smoke out at around 180, and my own (mis)adventures and blowing a 2.6 at 183F. 175 gives me a boundry layer, if you will, to give me or my software enough time to notice and shutdown.

That can work as a general rule of thumb for damage to the CPU, but you can begin to "worry" far before that if you want. If it gets to 140F and levels off, then I wouldn't worry about damage, but I would take that a gesture to figure out something else to cool that puppy off. Everyone needs an excuse to tinker...if YOU need one, then this is a good one. I'd see what you can do to get that thing to idle at 90-95F (35C is a happy place to rest) and then see where it peaks at.

The reason you may be seeing it jump like this is that P4's ratchet down when they aren't being used. Then, when you wake it up, it starts to go to town on the temps. Your BIOS may have a setting for duty cycles. You may want to lower the percent if you aren't happy with the idle temps.

Post subject: temp
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:32 pm 

Yeha... it kinda levels off at 140F so i guess i was worrying for nothing... if i get the time and money ill thinkg about adding some cooling or something for those high load times... I thought it should stay at like 120 at peak... but oh well.. Thanks guys! as always youre the best! ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:25 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

i suggest an aftermarket cooler.