Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PCIe to AGP bridge?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:01 pm 

Hi all! just a quick question. I was wondering if any of the upcoming PCIe vid cards from Nvidia and ATI will ever come with a bridge like adaptor to use them on current AGP spec mobos. The reason is that if i buy a next gen vid card, i would still like to be able to use it on a PCIe enabled mobo when i upgrade from a AGP mobo. I think i read somewhere a while ago of some device, but then again i could have been misreading hehe. Any info is greatly apprecieated. im gonna try looking for some info on google again see if anything will turn up that i missed. Thx all =)

Post subject: Re: PCIe to AGP bridge?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:06 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Riks3 wrote:
Hi all! just a quick question. I was wondering if any of the upcoming PCIe vid cards from Nvidia and ATI will ever come with a bridge like adaptor to use them on current AGP spec mobos. The reason is that if i buy a next gen vid card, i would still like to be able to use it on a PCIe enabled mobo when i upgrade from a AGP mobo. I think i read somewhere a while ago of some device, but then again i could have been misreading hehe. Any info is greatly apprecieated. im gonna try looking for some info on google again see if anything will turn up that i missed. Thx all =)

Such a device wouldn't woork because there is no physical space for the adapter to fit between the card and the slot.

there was a card one time that had an AGP slot and a PCI slot on the card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:19 pm 

doh! oh well , looks like im waiting for the PICe bandwagon then =) thx for the quick response.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:09 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

deject wrote:
Such a device wouldn't woork because there is no physical space for the adapter to fit between the card and the slot.

there was a card one time that had an AGP slot and a PCI slot on the card.

What do you mean there isnt space?
Theres plenty. More than likely you wouldnt be able to screw it in to the original screw hole on the backplate though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:54 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

SomeGuy wrote:
What do you mean there isnt space?
Theres plenty. More than likely you wouldnt be able to screw it in to the original screw hole on the backplate though.

I believe that "screwing it in" part is what he meant. Putting an adapter in there will raise it too much to fit right. Just defending the poor guy a bit ;)

...just a bit though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:57 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Riks, that's the delima alot of people are facing...To jump on, or not to jump on the express wagon.

Some boards are offering crossover versions that use both, but yet not worth the money due to the performance hit that comes along with being wishy-washy. I say jump when the time is ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:06 am 
Team Member
Team Member

My statement was made with the assumption that the guy wasn't going to mod his case.

But I know what that makes me....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:12 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

deject wrote:
My statement was made with the assumption that the guy wasn't going to mod his case.

But I know what that makes me....

You dont have to mod it
You just cant secure it properly :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:15 am 
Team Member
Team Member

SomeGuy wrote:
You dont have to mod it

I'm sorry, but the idea of running and card, let alone a brand spanking new videocard, that is not properly secured is just plain stupid. Not only can you very easily ruin the card, but also the motherboard.

in any case I don't think anyone is making a PCI-Express to AGP bridge as an add-on part so............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:44 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

deject wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
You dont have to mod it

I'm sorry, but the idea of running and card, let alone a brand spanking new videocard, that is not properly secured is just plain stupid. Not only can you very easily ruin the card, but also the motherboard.

in any case I don't think anyone is making a PCI-Express to AGP bridge as an add-on part so............

Sarcasm, get it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:54 am 
Willamette
Willamette

iv looked at a couple next-gen mobos, and some come with both PCIe and AGP, you could invest in one of those if you want...

i would wait though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:06 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

damnit, I need new glasses... :roll:

hullo someguy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:23 pm 

thx for all the info all! I think i will stick with my trusty 9800pro for now. Who knows, by the time PCIe is fully in the market, there will be some new GPU's. I was just tempted by the x800pro and 6800 GT. *slaps self on face* gotta hold on out for PCIe...got to hold out for PCIe =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:31 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Riks3 wrote:
thx for all the info all! I think i will stick with my trusty 9800pro for now. Who knows, by the time PCIe is fully in the market, there will be some new GPU's. I was just tempted by the x800pro and 6800 GT. *slaps self on face* gotta hold on out for PCIe...got to hold out for PCIe =)

good plan, methinks. a 9800Pro should be good enough for Doom3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:57 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Riks3 wrote:

AGP will still be around for a little while yet...I wouldnt worry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:13 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Riks3 wrote:

Ya. Good idea. PCIE is only out for the new Intel 915 and 925 chipsets anyway (or some not so exciting 865 boards). By the time they get the "REAL" 925XE chipset out, AMD should have some as well to pick through. I can only hope at least :p I'd be all over the AMD upgrade path if they were announcing that they'll adopt PCIE soon.