All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PLEASE HELP ME!! Upgrading my old Dell
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:21 pm 

The basics:

Dell Dimension 8100

P4 1.2 Ghz Processor
640MB PC800 RDRAM
ATI Radeon 9600 128MB Graphics card

I bought the PC 3 years ago with only 128MB RAM and a 64MB video card, and I would rather upgrade the proccessor than buy a new PC. I play demanding games like Halo and Star Wars Galaxies, so I want a decent machine. I don't know much, but I DO know that my processor is ancient and needs to be replaced.

From what I understand, I also would need a new motherboard and power supply to support the new processor. I found the Silencer 410 Dell for the power supply (top quality for my model, I think), but I don't understand power supplies and motherboards. What kind of motherboard do I need?? And how good of a processor can I get with a Silencer 410??

Can my Dell be upgraded?? I'm a PC upgrade newbie!! Help!!! :shock:

Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP ME!! Upgrading my old Dell
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:30 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

jimmacjr wrote:
The basics:

Dell Dimension 8100

P4 1.2 Ghz Processor
640MB PC800 RDRAM
ATI Radeon 9600 128MB Graphics card

I bought the PC 3 years ago with only 128MB RAM and a 64MB video card, and I would rather upgrade the proccessor than buy a new PC. I play demanding games like Halo and Star Wars Galaxies, so I want a decent machine. I don't know much, but I DO know that my processor is ancient and needs to be replaced.

From what I understand, I also would need a new motherboard and power supply to support the new processor. I found the Silencer 410 Dell for the power supply (top quality for my model, I think), but I don't understand power supplies and motherboards. What kind of motherboard do I need?? And how good of a processor can I get with a Silencer 410??

according to dell:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... tm#general

that model will support a 2GHz P4

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 132&depa=1

Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP ME!! Upgrading my old Dell
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:45 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

jimmacjr wrote:

You'll need a new motherboard, new RAM (RDRAM isn't supported anymore), a new PSU and possible a new case.

So my WAG is that you're talking about ~ $500 to stay in the Intel depending on what you want.

But yes, your Dell can be upgraded, just not easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:59 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Give us a budget and we can steer you in the right direction on specific components.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:59 am 

New MoBo, Proc, RAM, P/S, GPU.... add a case, H/D, sound card and optical drive ( DVD burner :wink: ) for a complete system! Use your old Dell as a spare or donate it to someone.

You can purchase a system ready built cheaper than you could build it by buying the components seperately. However, by building it yourself, you have the fun putting it together and you have exactly what you want.

As One4yu2c mentioned, how much coin do you have to spend on the the new system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:42 pm 

If JAFAH is right, and I can throw in a 2GHz processor with my current setup, for only $120 I'll go that route for now.

Eventually, I'm gonna buy a Hornet Pro Tower and build my own PC, but I need the cash for the GeForce 6800 first (my next card, I think). I'll prolly throw my Dell guts in the Hornet Pro and just continue to upgrade. Could I really through a 2Ghz processor in without a new power supply or MoBo?? Like I said, the current ones are factory setup.....

But if know a way I can seriously upgrade for $500-$600, I'm all ears!!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advise.

Jimmy Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:44 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

jimmacjr wrote:
If JAFAH is right, and I can throw in a 2GHz processor with my current setup, for only $120 I'll go that route for now.

Eventually, I'm gonna buy a Hornet Pro Tower and build my own PC, but I need the cash for the GeForce 6800 first (my next card, I think). I'll prolly throw my Dell guts in the Hornet Pro and just continue to upgrade. Could I really through a 2Ghz processor in without a new power supply or MoBo?? Like I said, the current ones are factory setup.....

But if know a way I can seriously upgrade for $500-$600, I'm all ears!!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advise.

Jimmy Mac

your motherboard will support a 2.6GHz(400 fsb) P4...the link I provided just says that the highest P4 your model came with was 2GHz.

when I checked newegg the 2GHz was the only 400fsb P4 they had but you probably can still find a 2.6GHz.

getting a new motherboard, cpu, ram and case(with powersupply) would be the better investment in the long run:)

edit: I just remembered your motherboard has a 423 socket on it and not a 478 socket...the cpu from newegg won't work :oops:

Post subject: cheap?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:53 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

if the reason you want to upgrade is cheapness your better off getting a new computer. the lowest end budget systems can kick the crap outta what you have.
check this out and fiddle with some systems
http://www.magicmicro.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=432

but of course if theres that great emotional bond with you computer....go for upgrade