Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Drive Rails?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:32 pm 

I felt that drive rails would be appropriate for my creation, however this is proving to be a difficult find. I can't seem to find universal slide rails for 5.25 bay drives. any ideas? I guess I could always mod some rails from a gateway or dell to work in my case. Would be nice though if I could find a universal kit though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:37 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

There are no standard drive rails. Rails are pretty much proprietary to each style of case, and it your case isn't built to use rails than you sure won't be able to use them unless you mod your drive cages.

Post subject: Custom Case
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:42 pm 

Since I am making the case from scratch I think I will just have to create a drive cage that can use such a rail system. Think I may have to take a trip to the old hardware store.. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:43 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

if you are making your own case, it seems like you could use any type of drive rail, then make your case accordingly

Post subject: Drive rails
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:46 pm 

While that may be true, I was looking to reduce the amount of fabrication time were ever possible.

Post subject: Re: Drive rails
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:47 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

TheRedTick wrote:
While that may be true, I was looking to reduce the amount of fabrication time were ever possible.
always a good idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:24 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

You could simply get the popular chieftec rails that are so abundant and get a drive cage from them and rivet it in there.

The only downside would be to cut some finger holes in the front so you could actually use the spring part and make it usable.

Another option is to cutout little slots in your drive cage and bend them over. Then you could mount a piced of plastic with countersunk screws and mount them to the drives. The plastic piece should fit your bent over tabs and make a rail. Just insure you bend another tab for a backstop so you don't push them in too far. If you make it snug enough, they should stay in. If not, then drill and tap a hole in the cage for a thumbscrew that goes into a hole in the rail.

Sound cool, or no? Sounds like a lot of work, so I'd rather rob from the Cheiftecs and save some work.

Here's some pics that show the second idea that I'm stealing from Coolermaster...(this one is in backward trying not to confuse the theory. That square is the CM's retention method. It would normaly line up with that square block you see in the drive above it.)

and a blurry drive rail...sorry, in a hurry!
http://home.comcast.net/~chumly409/DriveRails2.jpg