Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AGP card ribon adapter.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:20 pm 

I am looking to save room in my mod by having the Video Card sit verticaly next to the virtical mother board. I was wondering if there was some sort of ribon adapter I might connect to the AGP video card and then into the APG slot on the motherboard? If there is not one could it be rigged to work if you soldered an old AGP slot from a motherboard to a ribon with the same number of pins? And then to a connecter cut from a scrap AGP card? :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:58 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

...I've never seen anything like that.

Some rackmount server boards have their slots at an angle, but thats the closest Ive seen to that.

Why do you need to mount it vertical?

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:02 pm 

Because I may have to have a virtical divider between my pc motherboard and my xbox motherboard. I want to put my xbox inside my pc. I also want it to be a very clean install.

Post subject: Re: Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:09 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

TheRedTick wrote:
Because I may have to have a virtical divider between my pc motherboard and my xbox motherboard. I want to put my xbox inside my pc. I also want it to be a very clean install.

I see what your goal is, and it's very noble! Making a mod that's clean seperates the men from the french;)

I would think that your idea would work if you kept it pretty simple. A ribbon is good thinking, but I would have to second think the added length envloved by adding ribbon. If you kept it short (say, an inch or so. Long enough to bend the card parallel to the Mobo) I'd say it's worth a try.

Another way to look at this would be to make your own socket "L". If you know how to trace out a board, this could turn out pretty clean! Say, take an old AGP card and saw off the connector, then fix it 90-degrees on the sawed off end. I'd say you may need some ckt trace experience in case you need to add a trace if one of the leads needs added to you "adapter L".

But to warn ya...you'll have to devise some method to get the signal out from the card out of the box because you won't be able to use a standard case's PCI tray's out back. Also, you'll have to bend it south because the CPU is North...and the guts of the AGP card is on the south-end making the space savings pretty minimal. Ahhhh...the ribbon is starting to sound like the only way to get this right :p

How about simply purchasing a larger case? With huge cases like a CM stacker, you could fit a small imigrant family in there with you mod...

Post subject: As always I am greatful for the help.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:27 pm 

Yes, I did consider the L bracket (connecter) But due to the layout of 90% of all cards this places the (guts) as you said in an awkward position. And I plan on water cooling all major components, including this video card. As for using a larger case I would prefer to use a case as small as possible and custom built. I feel this will be a better canadit for the "Rig of The Month" contest. I would love to tell you more but beyond pc/xbox/liquid cooled I do not want to give away any ideas and designs. As soon as I get done with all the fabrications and all I have left is assembly I will begin posting links to the box's website full of pics and specs. I would like to have it as sleek and trim, yet have an uber professtional assembly. I feel that ribon might be the best way to go. And since it is a custom built case. The back pannel can be designed to fit whatever layout I choose. Now all that is left is to deside if I want to make the part myself or hireout a custom cable company? I am leaning towards having it 100% mywork. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:46 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

iv seen PCI virtical adapters (90 deg), but i have never seen an AGP one...might want to look at some of the small form factor sites to see if they have anything like that...

you may be able to make it yourself though...