Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What Socket to get???
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:00 am 

Socket A or Socket 939??? Which one to get and why?

Post subject: Re: What Socket to get???
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:06 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

31337_$n1p3r wrote:

Socket A is for Athlon/AthlonXP/Duron CPUs. It's Dead.

Socket 754 is for single channel DDR Athlon 64's

Socket 939 is for Dual Channel DDR Athlon 64's

If your original budget of $1200 is still true, you can't afford Socket 939, since the CPU's start at ~$500.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:12 am 

thx for the advice will there be problems in the future as far as upgrading my processor? what i mean is will i have to buy a new mobo or is it usually the case that new sockets will come out over the next couple of years and ill have to get a new mobo anyways? Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:15 am 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

Socket A will eventually be phased out. It is still alive and well as of right now, with Sempron coming out with a couple new cpus for the socket A line. But If I had the money or didn't I would still go with socket 939 or 754. If you don't got the money right now, just save it till you can afford it. It will save you the hassle in the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:21 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

31337_$n1p3r wrote:
thx for the advice will there be problems in the future as far as upgrading my processor? what i mean is will i have to buy a new mobo or is it usually the case that new sockets will come out over the next couple of years and ill have to get a new mobo anyways? Thanks for your help!

Socket 754 will most likely last as long as Socket 939, or until AMD adpots DDR2.

Plus, when's the last time you upgraded a CPU without upgrading the motherboard? While the socket may remain the same, voltages, chipset support, and FSB speeds always change making upgrading a dicy proposition regardless.

Plus, with PCI-E and BTX hitting volume later this year, it's unlikely that you'll want to keep your motherboard a year or two from now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:50 am 
Team Member
Team Member

SOCKET A IS NOT DEAD.

I estimate another year before Socket A goes the way of slotted CPUs.

Still, I'd reccomennd going for a Socket 754 or better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:52 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

deject wrote:
SOCKET A IS NOT DEAD.

I estimate another year before Socket A goes the way of slotted CPUs.

There will be no die shrink for the AthlonXP, so the 2.2Ghz 3200+ AXP (or "Semperon") is the last of the line.

IMO, when the last new CPU for a given socket was releaed over a year ago, the socket is dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:56 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Beelzebubba9 wrote:
There will be no die shrink for the AthlonXP, so the 2.2Ghz 3200+ AXP (or "Semperon") is the last of the line.

IMO, when the last new CPU for a given socket was releaed over a year ago, the socket is dead.

well, you are entitled to your opinion, but sempron will give socket a another year of usefulness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:57 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

deject wrote:
Beelzebubba9 wrote:

well, you are entitled to your opinion, but sempron will give socket a another year of usefulness.

Yeah, but the Semperon for socket A is just a rebadged AthlonXP.

Same CPU, same features, less cache.

Post subject: Re: What Socket to get???
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:01 am 
Solid as a rock
Solid as a rock

31337_$n1p3r wrote:

Socket 754. Dual Channel is not that big of deal yet for the AMD64 cpus or FX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:13 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

For all intents and purposes, Socket A is dead, Semperon or not. I think people take offense to the term, regarding that as saying it's not a good buy or existing Socket A users should upgrade. Neither is the case.

There are plenty of scenarios where a Barton rig fits the bill, and existing Barton users have a solid platform for today and tomorrow's applications. The socket itself as well as the future upgradeabililty options, however, are dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:28 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

One4yu2c wrote:
For all intents and purposes, Socket A is dead, Semperon or not. I think people take offense to the term, regarding that as saying it's not a good buy or existing Socket A users should upgrade. Neither is the case.

There are plenty of scenarios where a Barton rig fits the bill, and existing Barton users have a solid platform for today and tomorrow's applications. The socket itself as well as the future upgradeabililty options, however, are dead.

well, when you put it that way...

I'm not hanging on to old tech, I just think it's wrond to say something is DEAD when there are new chips being made for it.

Beelzebubba9 wrote:
Yeah, but the Semperon for socket A is just a rebadged AthlonXP.

Same CPU, same features, less cache.

Um, the Sempron is an Athlon 64 stripped of the AMD64 capabilities. It is not based on the Athlon XP.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sh ... spx?i=2083
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17056

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:44 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

deject wrote:
well, you are entitled to your opinion, but sempron will give socket a another year of usefulness...I just think it's wrond to say something is DEAD when there are new chips being made for it.

It's not opinion. It's fact. It's dead.

Putting a new engine in a 1976 MustangII adds a few more years of "usefulness" as well, but it's still dead. But I can still get engines for them:p

Revising a CPU for the socket in this fashion is a marketing move. Not everyone (corporatations mainly) wants to go company wide and change a CPU AND motherboard. They still have a big stake in what lives or dies quietly. And along with that, some peolple may love their board so much they don't want to part with it. I, personally, don't know why...but it happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:52 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Chumly wrote:
It's not opinion. It's fact. It's dead.

Putting a new engine in a 1976 MustangII adds a few more years of "usefulness" as well, but it's still dead. But I can still get engines for them:p

Revising a CPU for the socket in this fashion is a marketing move. Not everyone (corporatations mainly) wants to go company wide and change a CPU AND motherboard. They still have a big stake in what lives or dies quietly. And along with that, some peolple may love their board so much they don't want to part with it. I, personally, don't know why...but it happens.

your analogy is good except for one thing: no one is making NEW engines using NEW technology for your 76 Mustang II. I agree that Socket A is at the end of it's life cycle, but wait for AMD to stop making chips with new technology before pronouncing it dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:07 pm 
Solid as a rock
Solid as a rock

deject wrote:
your analogy is good except for one thing: no one is making NEW engines using NEW technology for your 76 Mustang II. I agree that Socket A is at the end of it's life cycle, but wait for AMD to stop making chips with new technology before pronouncing it dead.

Socket A is history, time to move on. It's been relegated to bargain bin systems now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:39 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I never said Socket A is never going away, I just think that Socket A will be around for another year.

If you guys read what I wrote, I said that Socket A is at the end of its life cycle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:47 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

deject wrote:
...No one is making NEW engines using NEW technology for your 76 Mustang II. I agree that Socket A is at the end of it's life cycle, but wait for AMD to stop making chips with new technology before pronouncing it dead.[/quote]

Sure they are. new stuff for 302's are being released all the time. ISA and Floppy drives are dead as well, even though some still have to use them ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:48 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

deject wrote:
If you guys read what I wrote, I said that Socket A is at the end of its life cycle.

Then what would you advise to the original post?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:59 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

deject wrote:

I guess things get lost in these posts.

About the Mustang analogy: Still, it's not like people are making whole new engines with today's technology.