Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: motherboard problems
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:18 am 

ok, i have three motherboards from friends that powerup but dont display any graphics, one is an unknown Intel chipset that came with an 800 mhz pentium in it (out of a dell) which i put my old 1200mhz cellie in it, another one is a chaintech 7nif2 with a nforce 2 chipset and a athlon xp1800+, the third is a biostar socket a board (cant remember the model number) with an athlon xp 1700+. The big problem here, the boards all boot up, but none of them put any output to the monitor. I tried the onboard graphics on the chaintech and biostar to no avail, and also put in an agp card in the Intel and biostar, and still got nothing (it wouldnt fit in the chaintech). Im thinking that both the boards with onboard video are autoomatically set to use it, but the video relay is blown, but im not sure. I also am sure the RAM is working in these boards Are these boards dead? I hope they arent, i got em for free and they are pretty damn good boards for servers... anything i can do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:26 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

95% of the time when a motherboard doesn't display anything graphically on boot up, it has nothing to do with the displays.

The boards could be dead. It could also be the CPU(s), the PSU, a bad ground to the case, bad memory and/or memory incompatability, improper setup (jumper wise), or just some plain broken bits.

Make sure that the motherboard is assembled outside of the case on an anti-static pad and no part is touching the case or other conductive material. Then install just a keyboard, graphics card (if necessary), RAM, power, and the CPU.

The only real way to test this is to start swapping out parts that are known to work in other systems and see if that works.

I'd put $1 on DOA motherboards though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:32 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

As said above. It's somewhat possible that you got your hands on 3 dead motherboards, since you mentioned they were free and we don't know why they were free. In normal circumstances though, such a scenario is very unlikely.

Your problem is almost definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) user error somewhere along the way. Basically just repeating Beezle's post...test each component to verify the work, watch for grounding.

I just went through this myself last night and this morning on a new build. It would power up for about 1-2 seconds and promptly turn off. I painstakingly tested each individual component last night, verified it wasn't a grounding issue, and this morning narrowed down the problem. Heatsink apparently was giving me fits - had to detach and reseat it, and I'm now installing Windows on it as I type this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:38 am 

i tested it outside the case, as i said before, i know my cellie works, along with the ram i was using and the video card and the keyboard and mouse. and also the hard drive, floppy, cdrom, and psu... i have no way to test the athlon cpus for operation because those two boards are my only socket As... so i guess that limits it to my boards then

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:20 am 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

Well you gotta em free, so my bet their all dead. No BIOS beeps or anything. If it just powers....but does nothing then DEAD boards they are. One of my emachines mysteriously went dead. Does nothing, put in working parts and no worky. Atleast you got em free. Otherwise if you bought em that would be a rip off!

Post subject: Re: motherboard problems
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:41 am 
Northwood
Northwood

r_pav wrote:
, one is an unknown Intel chipset that came with an 800 mhz pentium in it (out of a dell) which i put my old 1200mhz cellie in it

it may not be capable of running a tualatin cpu without an adapter