Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Monitor Refressh Rates
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:56 pm 

hey, I am just wondering... I have a Viewsonic E90f running on one of my machines and according to viewsonic its max refresh rate at 1600X1200 is 68Hz. Would there be any harm setting my refresh rete to 70Hz? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:06 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

if the monitor doesn't support 70Hz, don't try it. You can seriously damage your monitor by doing so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:13 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

if it doesnt support, dont try....

if it is an LCD, 60hrz is fine

CRT...go to like 75+

Post subject: Re: Monitor Refresh Rates
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:56 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

grunkalunka wrote:
hey, I am just wondering... I have a Viewsonic E90f running on one of my machines and according to viewsonic its max refresh rate at 1600X1200 is 68Hz. Would there be any harm setting my refresh rete to 70Hz? thanks

Let the drivers do the talking. First, insure you have the correct monitor driver installed and it's being used. You can check by looking in the Video Properties and it should state the monitor correctly on the first thing you see (i.e. ViewSonicE90f on AbitFX4700U...), or more specifically in the advanced settings in the "monitor" tab. If it doesn't this is also the best place to update the driver. (Viewsonics come with a disc that has the driver on them if it's not installed).

With that taken care of, you can be sure the next advice shouldn't fail you (Plug & Play could lie to you). In that advanced area of the video properties, check the box that states "Hide modes that this monitor can not display" then drop down the screen refreshrate box and choose your desired RR. If it's listed here, it's supported. IMO, I see no big deal with 2Hz over anyway :p
Click here to view a shot of the advanced screen Note, mine are set way to high right now. New monitor, and I'm just taxing it a bit. At 1024x768 which that was shot from, I'd normally run 85-90Hz. Haven't tried to find the sweet spot on this one yet.

Aside from that, do you feel you need a higher RR?? Use the lowest that is comfortable to your eyes, not the highest it can go "just because". Test-drive each refreshrate, then use the lowest that doesn't produce noticeable flicker. Higher settings shorten the monitor's lifespan, while lower settings that cause flicker causes all sorts of physical problems (in my case, headache and eyestrain).

*MPC's recommended method: "stare at a point about a foot right or left of you monitor. This should put the display in your peripheral vision. The human eye is much more sensitive to flicker in the peripheral vision than when you are staring directly at (it)". I do this using "read me" documents where there is a white background with lots of text in it.

*Just another reason to pickup MPC's August issue. This advice can be found in "ask the doctor", page 50. Keep this issue on hand at all times once it becomes available to the masses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:36 am 

Alright, good to know, thanks for the info guys.