Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Vertical Duplicaiton on Monitor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:54 pm 

Hello everyone, quick display questions for anyone who may know. I experienced this on my last sony 21" trinitron monitor and am also experiencing it on my new Sony 17" HS73 LCD. Vertical lines / text seems to be slightly duplicating themselves 5-6 times over "very lightly" and only to the right. You have to get pretty close to the screen to really see it but it is definitely significant. Is this a sign of my video card or my monitor or is this normal? You really have to be picky to let it bother you but I am just curious as to what piece of hardware is the culprit. Thanks everyone.

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:07 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Blame the video card. I'd say it was the monitor, but it also happened on your LCD (my first response to vertical lines are issues with the apertures). That it's happening on your LCD pretty much rules that out IMO.

But, some video cards have issues as well. One of mine has an issue with dual monitors that brings out this problem.
http://thetechzone.com/display.php?i=231&p=6%20

And on bigger monitors (like a 22"), it's apparent horizontally. Goes down a bit as it warms up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:18 pm 

Yeah, its definitely the same thing occuring on both. I had a POS 17" gateway hooked up to my box between the 21" and this LCD so it probably wasnt even good enough to show the detail. I currently have a GeForce 4200 64MB. Probably due for an upgrade anyway, glad to know your pretty sure thats the problem. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:30 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Now that I see that we're both using a Ti4200 with this issue, I can close up the gap on what part is causing this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:56 pm 

Well, its not exactly the problem that the link you posted was describing. Its not like 2 random vertical lines, its more of multiple "shadows" to the right of any distinct vertical lines. Pretty much anything being displayed on the screen has multiple shadows to the right of it, its just more noticable on text and vertical lines. Does this still sound like the same problem to you? I am about to throw my old tnt2 card in here to verify.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:42 pm 

OK, now I'm getting angry. I have my box hooked up to an A/B switch that goes to my plasma TV. When looking closer @ the plasma I can see that the same shadowing is still visible, now I'm thinking it HAS to be my vid card. Except, when I put in my old STB Velocity TNT nothing has changed. Is there any way this could be my Motherboard? I know it cant be my A/B switch because I didnt have it when I had my previous 21" and the shadowing was still there. What the heck is going on? Thanks for your time.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:04 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ummm...do you wear scratched up glasses? ;)

Man, I still want to blame the card even though the STB does it as well. No, it doesn't make since, but it's simply the only thing comes close at the moment.

Have any good friends that would allow you to barrow a card for a couple minutes? You could wipe the drivers totally out (ATI has a program on their utilities page, and nVidia drivers can be wiped with DriverCleaner), install this totally random barrowed card, install the fresh set of drivers, then see if it's still there (on the monitor AND the TV). If it is, then I'm totally baffled!