Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: semi-noob attempting to build pc
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:03 am 

Hello all. I'm a frustrated semi-noob/semi-enthusiast (ie. someone who knows enough to to be totally useless) attempting to put together a PC on a tight budget (how tight? I'm a university student with a tiny allowance. go figure :roll: )

That aside, I think I can split the bill with my sister and maybe get my mom/dad to subsidise... but that would mean going on a barebones setup. But assuming "average" limits (I live in Asia, so prices differ. Just go on an estimate) what type of hardware should I get?

Aside from the usual typing reports/surfing the net/making powerpoint presentations (required for class presentations) I'd mainly use it for gaming (20% of the time) and imaging (scanning and creating artwork photos, etc.; 80% of the time)... might also need LOTS of USB drives (okay, maybe just 5 or so)

I'm hoping to be able to use this for the next 5 years or so (since it'll take me that long to save up for a new system again :lol:)

Since I'm on a *mystery* budget, I'll assume I can't get:
    new monitor (my monitor is still ok though; samsung 17" flatscreen crt)
    cd/dvd burners
    new speakers
    new keyboard/mouse
    new floppy drive (like it matters much... :wink:)
    a kick-a*s case
    bells and whistles (e.g. blinking lights, clear panels, etc.)

I might also have to re-use:
    my current cd rom drive (Asus 50x)... is that still ok?
    my current hard disk (20gig; maybe as a secondary drive)
    my current modem

I'll be grateful for any advice I can get. (feel free to give "ultimate machine" setups. prices are sometimes lower here in Asia and I might be able to wing it)

Thanks. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:17 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

You need to give us a relative budget (USD if at all possible).

I could probably throw together a basic setup for ~$400, but a much better one for ~$700.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:37 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

I wonder if Newegg will ship to your location, or if there is a simiar site in your location.

One thing that is hard for Americans to realize is just how much more expensive computer parts are in other parts of the world. I know that if you want to buy a new computer part in Canada, your likely to pay 40%-60% more for the same part.

I can figure out how to build a PC on a tight budget in the states, but overseas it gets tricky. I don't know the sites to visit, and I don't know foriegn currency, and how tarriffs and other things affect the price of the products in that overseas country.

I can tell you though that you should probably give us your current stats, and how much you want to upgrade.

For example, I was running a 700mhz Athlon in the years of 1999-2002. In the fall of 2002 it died, and I was on a tight budget. I bought one of the cheapest processors I could, a 1.3ghz AMD Duron. It only cost $30 USD. Of course the new processor was socket A, and I had a slot A board. So I bought a new mobo, and Abit NV7-133R for $60. Then I needed new ram, because my old ram was not DDR, so I bought 128mb of PC2100, for about $40. My video card was the most expensive part, because I had to buy it local. I did not know that I was going to have to replace it. I paid $70 for an ATI Radeon 7200. I saw it a month later online for $35.

I ran that system for the next year and half, and it worked out pretty good. This January, It started to go because I accidentally left a wire resting on the heat sink fan. So, last month it finnally died. I replaced all the main components, CPU, mobo, RAM, for about $230. Now that is getting by cheap!

I'm now running at the fastest Althon XP speed of 3200+, with some overclocking ;). I have 4x the amount of RAM I had 2 years ago, and it operates at almost twice the speed. My mobo has a great sound sysem built in, the SoundStorm.

I could have gotten by a lot cheaper than that, if I had wanted to. I could have, for instance, bought a slower processor for half the cost, about $40. I could have gone with the standard NF7 instead of the NF7-S, and that would have saved me about $20. All in all, I could have upgraded my system for about $50-100 less than I did. But, that's here in America. Prices are much higher in other countries.

Let us know what your current system specs are, and if you have a budget in American dollars.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:41 pm 

I'm currently on Intel Pentium III 600Mhz (or thereabouts); 288Mb RAM and an Nvidia Vanta veideocard. I don't recall what the mobo is, but THAT has to go. It's one of the older (crappy-ish) ASUS models.

My budget would be roughly around 20k-40k local currency ($358-$716; round up or down); most PCs sell for that around here.

ASUS and Japanese brands are generally cheaper than in the States, so I can probably save some there (lower shipping rates, etc. etc.); BUT Intel/AMD might be more expensive (tariff and taxes... unless I go blackmarket... heh heh heh :twisted:) so I figure it might break even.

I'd probably go on 1gig of ram, as much memory as I can afford (50Gb? whatever- memory isn't that expensive) and maybe a Radeon Pro *something* equivalent video card. (Hoping for a setup that won't need replacing in a relatively long time.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:49 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Okay, now that I know your budget and system specs, here's what I would reccomend:

ASUS A7N8X Mobo (I am an Abit fan myself, but that seems to be a US company) This thing sells for $84 USD in the states.

AMD Barton 2500+ Cheap, yet powerfull CPU. Will overclock nicely. Only costs $75 here in the states. This should take your proccesing power up by a power of 4 easily.

Muskin or Samsung (Samsung might be cheaper over there) 512mb DDR 400. DDR 400 is the cheapest ram right now, mainly because it's so popular. Even if your fsb is something other than 400mhz, you can still use DDR 400 without any problems. Unless your doing some heavy gaming and PS work I wouldn't suggest 1gig, But if you are, the ram here in the states is only $80 a 512mb stick.

As for the HDD, you'll probably want to go with an 80gb Seagate or Western Digital. I'm not sure which would be the cheapest in your location. These things sell for about $70 OEM here.

Video card, that's quite up to you. It really depends on what games you want to play and how much you want to invest. A good card is going to cost over $100. An ok card can be bought for much less. A great card is going to make you go over budget.

Well, for the components I listed, you're looking at about $309 to $389 depending on how much ram you need. Add another $75-$150 for the video card and you should be set.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:53 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Oh, btw, I got all those prices off Newegg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:46 pm 

:| we-ell, I'm not really very comfortable with overclocking my PC... for one, I'm not the only one using it... it occassionaly doubles as a "family" pc. But my major issue is the heat. I don't care how many fans or water-cooled systems I stick into the thing, the fact that I live in a hot attic in the middle of the tropics just tells me it's going to blow up in my face! (don't ask about the average teamperature: asphalt roads are sticky and mushy at noon and if you hurl a raw egg at the sidewalk, it'll fry)