Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dual display tweaks
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:11 pm 

Alright so I'm not much into the whole 3D gaming anymore so I recently swapped the geforce 3 in my computer for a 32 meg radeon ve dual display. The card is perfect for what I do which is mainly adobe photoshop and premier. Anyways If i remeber correctly back in windows 98 you could make a single walpaper stretch across both monitors, not just have the same wallpaper repeat on the second screen. I'm using XP Pro so I don't know if the setting is poked away somewhere or if i need extra software. Anyways please let me know what's the deal with that.

Oh and I haven't been on in a good while (I used to post back when maximumpc forums was operated by delphi), i don't know how long ago it changed but in any even i was wondering did they migrate the accounts over or is everything such as post counts lost?

Thanks, Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:40 am 

*Bump*

Anyone??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:27 pm 
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock

The number of posts started all over at zero.

The answer to your actual question I can't answer. I’m on Windows XP, not 2000 and I can’t remember if there was a way to stretch across 2 monitors, sine 2000 actually saw them as different displays (Windows 98 and ME often saw them as a generic single display). Without something like NView (Nvidia drivers) I don’t think you’ve got much hope of stretching an image within the OS.

I have in the past, edited an image and put the right half on one screen and the left half on the other screen … you could do the same thing, cutting the image in half then enlarging or shrinking the image to fit on either screen’s resolution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:53 pm 

Really that sucks i was somewhere in thearea of 500 - 600 posts too if i remeber correctly. :cry:

Ahh well I'm glad to see MaximumPC with an integrated forum finally.

In any even. Even doing that (setting two seperate backgrounds) would be great because I would take no more than 2 seconds to slice up and resize an image in photoshop and fit it to the background, but for some reason I'm unable even to set backgrounds independantly. i set one background and both monitors use the same one. should that feature be somewhere in XP or is that in one of those seperate display control apps because if it is i have no issues with installing hydravision if i have too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:52 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

get the ATi hydravision...iv used it and it worked for what i was doing (internet on one screen MS Word on the other...typing up papers...)

Post subject: One utility you might want to check
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:25 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I've read about UltraMon which is dedicated to tweaking multi-monitor setups (you should be able to find it here).

I know it could do some things with stretching wallpapers, but it does cost.

Hope that helps.

Post subject: Re: Dual display tweaks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:51 pm 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

andrewshiite wrote:
Anyways If i remeber correctly back in windows 98 you could make a single walpaper stretch across both monitors, not just have the same wallpaper repeat on the second screen.

I wanted to find that out, and I eventually did. Set your wallpaper to tile and it should span accross both your monitors. Check out deviantart.com and there is a section for dual-display wallpaper. Very schweet!