Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: All the 3870 brands the same?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:05 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Looking at the basic specs that some websites give, all the new 3870 cards look the same in terms of clock speed, memory, etc. HOWEVER, with all the talk of the new G92 chipsets for Nvidia replacing the older chipsets, what can we expect from the ATI side?

I'm looking to buy a new 3870 but I read recently, somewhere in here, that the first batch of the 3870's were having some problems and that the second batch was supposed to work better. Also, there are quite a few brands producing the 3870 and I'm wondering if any of them are a step ahead in any way. I notice that the Asus card usually costs more on websites. Is that because it's better or is that because it's Asus? I'm partial to Asus since I've used them with mobo's for awhile but are they worth spending an extra 20-30 bones on?

Would the best one to go with be the one who offers the lifetime warranty or are there any other factors in play? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: All the 3870 brands the same?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 am 
Northwood
Northwood

US_Ranger wrote:
Would the best one to go with be the one who offers the lifetime warranty or are there any other factors in play? Thanks.

i'd look at company reputation, support, prices, and bundles.

Post subject: Inquiring minds want to know.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:50 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I'm interested in seeing an official press release related to the initial batch of 3870-based cards. Was this issue resolved at the factory, or is my system running on a defective product? Did it affect all cards, or only those of certain OEMs? Where's the recall notice?

:?:

Post subject: Re: Inquiring minds want to know.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:08 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

yagisencho wrote:
I'm interested in seeing an official press release related to the initial batch of 3870-based cards. Was this issue resolved at the factory, or is my system running on a defective product? Did it affect all cards, or only those of certain OEMs? Where's the recall notice?

:?:

yeah, i rather not have to wait til it goes bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:38 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

The early batch was a quick fix. It was bumpless if from a reputable vendor like the egg. It was a single resistor, and was called to fix rather than have a questionable issue out there in the wild. It's easier to fix before customers get them in their hands...if it even ever pops up. I think they knew they'd go out of stock quick anyway, and chose to just get em back and fix 'em.

The things were out of stock everywhere for a week, but not all because of this very issue. Maybe a day or two, because revised/fixed boards were shipped the same day they were asked to send them back. Now they're out of stock because we're all buying them as soon as they hit the shelf. Christmas panic adds to this.

Whether they're all the same or not is up in the air for me, so let me explain a bit on the HD3000 line over all. Initially, I got the HIS HD3870 before the price jack. The core had no specific labeling of what it was or revision and all that. That leaves that open in my mind as to what might be out there now or later with the same RV670XT core. On that brand of card was Quidmoto memory (or however you spell it) and a two piece cooler. It has a memory bar totally separate from the GPU cooler once removed. While looking into another recently, I see the VisionTek (that isn't here yet) I hear of Infineon and Samsung branded GDDR4 being possible...The Samsung BC09 being the more popular spotted RV670XT-wide.

So with the memory variants out there, I don't think we can say they're all the same. One might as well show a better memory side OC than the other. But the quidmoto (who!? I can't spell it. Someone correct that please!) GDDR4 autoset in the ATI tool to 2746Mhz. Almost 500Mhz over the shipped spec speeds. This is the real plus in the 70 and not the buffer/texture size (GeCube has 512M of GDDR3 on their 3850). No sales pitch really needed, but it's the GDDR4 that makes these things nVidia beaters. Just one site review, but more are to follow.

The coolers might as well go single slot, and thus taking away the two-piece builds eventually. The load temp was high on the HIS, but idle was very very cool. I imagine if they do better thinking on the double slot cooler it can be made better. It seems to be the same used on the 2900XT and not purpose built. On that, the 2900XT coolers fit the HD3850 and 70 cards.

The only difference is the full cover waterblocks due to memory layout. I stuck the Danger Den Acetal cooler that was on a 7800GT on the 3850 with the old and long un-used ATI mounting kit that came with it. So I imagine the 3870's two piece cooler would be nice since you can just leave the memory heatsink on without buying more stuff or waiting on a full-cover block.

So, are they the same? I guess if you just open the box and run them. Asus puts a $35 game in their box for $20 more than the other cards. And a sticker. HIS came with stupid Demos...not full games. Demos for games we have, or should have, already. Asus comes with Asus apps, that are more clunky than ATI's own sets included in the drivers. Some don't include the bridge, so watch for those too. It comes down to what's in the box, how much you pay, and in the long run...the memory. Oh, and I only know of the VisionTek having a lifetime warranty. The others seem to have a one year coverage.

I hope to have more pics once the VisionTek comes in. I like HIS, but I'm sure it's the same card overall. If it can autoclock the memory the same, if not better, I'll be fine. I'm waiting on BestBuy's very slow shipping. They were in stock late last night, but now gone. The card, shipping, and tax came to $230...that's what the upfront cost is on the other sites, so it's a deal IMO. But have to wait a week or two for it to arrive. (was given a window of Dec 8th - Dec 17th!?)

Who's the memory brand that I'm making mince meat of? It's killing me, google isn't helping, and I can't find it in my documents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:28 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

^----Wow Chumly.

That was a GREAT analysis. And I completely agree about Best Buy. I've been waiting on that damn Visiontek forever as well. At one point it was in stock but I tried to add it to my cart and it was suddenly gone. It's those damn video card snipers again. =)

Seriously though, that was an awesome rundown on the 3800 series and answered A LOT of questions I was having about them. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:33 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I got mine from newegg, so hopefully all is well.

I replaced the stock cooler on my HIS with a Zalman ZF900. At the lowest fan RPM setting, the idle temp went from a stock HSF reading of 53°C down to 41°C and from a 1-hour load temp of 85°C to 54°C. Again, that's at the lowest fan speed setting.

The card's stock HSF is a complete waste of copper.

I'm currently running the core at 790MHz (up from stock 777MHz). I was able to get it to > 850MHz before the system froze. I wouldn't call it stable at that speed though. :lol:

I haven't tried messing with the memory settings yet. I imagine that water cooling would allow the GPU to run stable at 850MHz, as long as it's getting enough power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:50 pm 

I'm really considering getting one from these guys Extreme PC SI Radeon HD3870 Extreme XXX Edition 820Mhz Core | 512MB 2400Mhz DDR4

I had a friend who brought their version of the 2900XT which was crazy overclocked and it works wonders for him.

They seem to get alot of ATI stuff first and know what they are doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:38 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Avery wrote:
I'm really considering getting one from these guys Extreme PC SI Radeon HD3870 Extreme XXX Edition 820Mhz Core | 512MB 2400Mhz DDR4

I had a friend who brought their version of the 2900XT which was crazy overclocked and it works wonders for him.

They seem to get alot of ATI stuff first and know what they are doing.

Hmmm, cranked up to 820mhz from 775mhz. With all the talk about the stock cooling being insufficient I'm honestly wondering how they claim to make it cooler under load while still having a higher clock speed. Adjustable fans are good and all but it seems to go against common sense. That thing should be burning hot being overclocked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:26 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

You'd think so, but in fact I got mine up to around 850MHz without seeing a significant jump in temperature. I think it hit 61°C before it locked up, far shy of the 85°C it was operating at under max load using the stock HSF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:01 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Chumly wrote:
Who's the memory brand that I'm making mince meat of? It's killing me, google isn't helping, and I can't find it in my documents.

I think it's Qimonda.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:47 am 
Willamette
Willamette

GET 'EM BEFORE THEY'RE OUT!!!!!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... ductdetail

^----they go fast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:35 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

avanish11 wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I think it's Qimonda.
Thank you!
US_Ranger wrote:
GET 'EM BEFORE THEY'RE OUT!!!!!!
BestBuy: VisionTek HD3870 = $214^----they go fast!
And thank YOU! I have that link on my firefox tool bar and have been clicking it 10 times a day. I was about to go through XPCgear for an Asus...but it just felt shifty. Ok, Visiontek gets a mate.

Oh, and hope you can wait for shipping with best buy. 13 days. Good grief. But that link is currently showing that I will get it by the 24th if I order by 2PM pacific/5PM eastern. 4 days now!? Let's hope.

What do we want to see on these things? Length? Memory? Anything you don't see on other sights you'd like to see here? Still no full cover blocks to get my mitts on. Just boring looking GPU only blocks (like you see them anyway).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:09 am 
Willamette
Willamette

^----lol

I was also looking at the Asus 3870 from XPCgear. I'd go to the site and just look at the card but something didn't sit right with me so I held out for the best buy restock. Ya can't go wrong with a lifetime warranty either.

It told me it would be here by the 24th as well. We'll see. Let me know when yours arrives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:45 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Chumly wrote:
avanish11 wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I think it's Qimonda.
Thank you!

you're welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:52 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

US_Ranger wrote:
^----lol

I was also looking at the Asus 3870 from XPCgear. I'd go to the site and just look at the card but something didn't sit right with me so I held out for the best buy restock. Ya can't go wrong with a lifetime warranty either.

It told me it would be here by the 24th as well. We'll see. Let me know when yours arrives.
See me asking about XPCgear in the dogpound? I was pondering that same card I think.

Check the BestBuy link again. It's now under $200 when I placed finally saw it in stock again. $193.49.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:39 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Chumly wrote:
US_Ranger wrote:
^----lol

See me asking about XPCgear in the dogpound? I was pondering that same card I think.

Check the BestBuy link again. It's now under $200 when I placed finally saw it in stock again. $193.49.

I missed the dog pound section where you asked about that. I'll give it a look through though.

And yeah, the damn price dropped 20 bucks the day after I ordered it. Oh well, at least it was in stock and it arrived extremely fast.

Post subject: Warranty
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:11 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Made this up a while back and didn't post it for some reason...

VisionTek states: [url=http://www.visiontek.com/teksupport/warranty/limited_warranty.html][i]ATI Based Retail Packaged “VisionTekâ€