Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Burned up Hard drive.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:43 pm 

I just had a Maxtor hard drive burn up on me! I watched a circuit burn up on it. It looked like a firework fuse igniting! I seem to have bad luck with both Maxtors and Western Digitals. Can anyone recomend a reliable, stable drive in the 200Gb range? I suppose I could send it out on an RMA but I have alot of personal information in there that I can't risk getting out, unless you guy's know of a way to reliably erase ALL data on a Hard drive?

Many Thanks! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:12 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

I've heard that Hitachi makes some good large drives. I think their highest is 400gig.

Although, I own an 80gb Seagate, and it's been quite stable for about 6 months now, and quiet as a mouse. I do know that Seagate makes some 200gig drives though I know not if they perform better/longer than WDs and Maxtors.

One thing you might want to do is get a themometer monitor for your hard drive. Make sure it stays below 140F, well, thats what Seagate says for my HDD. You might want to check with the manufacturer to see what the reccomended temps are.

My PC was locking up everytime I worked the HDD too much until I realized I had it sandwiched between an older 30gb and the floppy. When it really crashed was when I coppied large amounts of data to or from the older drive. One day I went to ground myself on the drive mount and nearly burned my fingers. That's when I mounted it in an empty 5.25 bay and removed the bay cover. Soon I will get a new case that will have a 60mm fan blowing across all my hdds. :)

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:19 pm 

Best to have a fan in the front of the case.
Especially if you have more than one hard drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:46 pm 
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock

Get a Western Digital. They're quiet, fast and reliable. I have yet to have a single one fail on me. I hear Hitachi is good too ... but they're just IBMs rebranded ;)

I had 3 Maxtor 200GB SATA drives burn up on me in similar fashion and one 120GB SATA Maxtor drive overheat. In multiple-drive configs they suck ... even alone, if they're put near anything they'll only last about 1 to 2 months if used a lot :( ... some people love them, I on the other hand will give up a bit of speed for reliability anyday.

Maxtor's RMA and customer service is great, I just wish I didn't have to talk to them every 3 months :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:11 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Hitachi seems to be pretty good right now.

We have 3 WD 80GB SE's in two system (in one PC 2 are in a RAID-1 array, in mine 1 is the boot drive).

All three have been running fine for 2+ years (3 in my case).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:36 pm 

Let me elaborate a little bit on what happened to my drive. I was in the process of transferring excess data off my Maxtor onto some miscalaneous hard drives that I own. Anyway the drives' performance plummeted and I ran Nortons defrag program and it was severely fragmented. I stopped the process after four hours and only had 16% of the drive derfragged! Then I couldn't get it to boot anymore. I then plugged it into my sons computer and tried to download my vital files off of it. I had it hanging loosely but not touching any thing. It kept locking up while trying to pull these files off. After only getting about 20% of my files the fuse in the power supply blew. I checked the temp on both of the hard drives and they were at relatively normal temperature. (I have a lazer thermometer from work) I used another one of my power supplies that I am positive works ok and the drive began its firework trick. I also checked and the drive is out of warranty. So, I'm out of luck! But I'm still interrested in your opinions and recomedations, so please keep 'em comming! Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:53 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

maxtor
wester digital
hatachi

all good drives.

Post subject: Re: Burned up Hard drive.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:02 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

whpcguru wrote:
I could send it out on an RMA but I have alot of personal information in there that I can't risk getting out, unless you guy's know of a way to reliably erase ALL data on a Hard drive?

If you RMA it through Maxtor, they could give a rat's ass what's on it. They'll probably see if it's repairable or not. If it is, they'll write zeros to it anyway. If it's not, no biggy...they scrap 'em.
Unless the RMA request is from Osama, they won't try to get anything off an RMA'd drive without your request.

(where you trying to use color=blue? Looks like it. To get that to work, you have to type in between the boxed code)
Code:
[color=blue]I could send it out...[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:26 am 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

Ive had to RMA 2 Maxtors in the last 5 years of buying parts from newegg. I switched to Western Digital last year and havent had any problems with there drives. I currently use the 80gig 8mb cache drives. I wont buy Maxtor anymore unless there is a really good deal on one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:53 pm 

Well I started with Quantum drives back in the day. I like them, but they only lasted so long for me. I've tried a few Maxtors, which have worked relatively well - but I've since switched to Western Digital. I pretty much swore by them until my 120GB 8mb cache storage drive, then 2x 36gb raptors bit the dust on me. Since then I've been using Seagate for pretty much all of my systems with the exception of my main rig's primary drive which is a raptor 74GB. I have also used a few Hitachi drives in the past - they're nice and speedy - no complaints from me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:12 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ahhhhh...love those quantums! Still got a box with two 30Giggers in there.