Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 1 gig really worth it?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:21 am 

A few of you guys were helping me the other day with some processor/mobo choices and now the only real question that remains would be the ram. Is 1 gig really gonna help me? Getting 512 is considerably less than the 1 gig kits/chips from newegg. For those of you who didn't follow the other thread I plan on doing moderate gaming and very minor video work. More just importing the video and adding a menu or such rather than actualy editing of the video.

Thanks again for all the help and info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:38 am 

I have 1 GB of RAM in my computer and I'm starting to think it might be a 'minimal' solution, but I'm a heavy duty gamer / power user. My father enjoys the game Far Cry and his 512 MB of RAM was definitely a bottle neck, even the detail settings at low and a resolutin of 800x600 . . . that is until I built his current machine (with 1 GB of RAM). When I say a bottle neck, I mean load times and level transitions. I've read that Far Cry can even max out 1 GB. I'll assume that games are only going to get more demanding, but if you're not into the more frenetic first-person shooters (which are almost always the more hardware intensive games), then 512 will suit your purpose. I have a friend that does some minor video editing on 512 MB, and he has no problem, so for the moment that seems adequate. However make sure you leave room for an upgrade to at LEAST 1 GB.

Post subject: Re: 1 gig really worth it?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:10 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Jord413 wrote:
A few of you guys were helping me the other day with some processor/mobo choices and now the only real question that remains would be the ram. Is 1 gig really gonna help me? Getting 512 is considerably less than the 1 gig kits/chips from newegg. For those of you who didn't follow the other thread I plan on doing moderate gaming and very minor video work. More just importing the video and adding a menu or such rather than actualy editing of the video.

For most people, 512mb is sufficient. I'm running 512 and would personally like to have 1g. In your case, you can check this yourself. Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and click on the performance tab. Under the commit charge, see how high your peak gets. Pardon me if you already know this, but I'll break it down for others peeking in the thread as well:

Total: How much RAM (and possibly virtual memory) currently used.
Limit: Total amount of RAM and virtual memory.
Peak: Highest amount of memory you've used since last reboot.

Take that peak and divide by 1024. If it's higher than 512mb, then you would benefit from 1g of RAM, as your program(s) are having to access the slower page file. How much benefit you would see depends on how much higher that 512mb you're hitting. That should help you decide if it would be worth it to you or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:01 am 
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock

I have 2 GB of RAM in my main rig. I didn't need this much but I do use around 1.5 GB when video editing, I also use just over 1GB when hosting UT2004 Onslaught and Rise of Nations with more than 4 human players. I still haven't figured out why RoN uses so much RAM since the game install is barely 1GB ... crappy code I guess.

Anyway, I think 1GB is well worth the extra cash, but then again, that's coming from a guy that has 2GB :roll:

If you're doing any multitasking or serious gaming sessions I'd say dive into the 1GB. But if you have 3 or 4 slots on your mobo and you just want to spend enough cash to get you by for now, go for 512 and see where it takes you.

If you do get 1GB the matched pair kits are the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:27 am 

I think we're pretty much at that time where 1GB of ram is the recommended amount for gaming. Like J'nathus said, Far Cry is an example. Other games are soon to follow and just around the corner. I upgraded to 1GB ram (Dual Channel) a couple months ago and it was definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) noticeable and worth it, in games especially.

If you can afford it... go for it. If you can't.... save up :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:02 am 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

I agree with what J'nathus said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:42 pm 

Bottom line..."Too Much is Not Enough"
When it comes to memory, CPU'S or whatever, Always get the best and most you can afford!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:25 pm 

One more question :) I am looking to play Doom 3 when it is released shortly. Presently, I can do 1 of 2 things, either I can a) upgrade my current system (athlon 2100+, 512 pc2700) to something like (athlon 2800+, 512 dual channel pc 3200) OR I can keep my 2100+ and upgrade my geforce 3 ti 200 (128 meg version) to a radeon 9800 pro. The question would be which way would I be more likely to receive more performance in doom 3. I would tend to think speed and ram would help but then on the other hand I'm thinking the video card would help solely for the DX9 support.

THanks again for all the help and info.

btw, I did the suggestion by one4u2c and came up with roughly 728 as my maximim usage...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:29 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Jord413 wrote:
One more question :) I am looking to play Doom 3 when it is released shortly. Presently, I can do 1 of 2 things, either I can a) upgrade my current system (athlon 2100+, 512 pc2700) to something like (athlon 2800+, 512 dual channel pc 3200) OR I can keep my 2100+ and upgrade my geforce 3 ti 200 (128 meg version) to a radeon 9800 pro. The question would be which way would I be more likely to receive more performance in doom 3. I would tend to think speed and ram would help but then on the other hand I'm thinking the video card would help solely for the DX9 support.

THanks again for all the help and info.

btw, I did the suggestion by one4u2c and came up with roughly 728 as my maximim usage...

Do One4yu2c's next suggestion and do NOT make an upgrade decision based on a piece of software that has yet to be released. When it comes out, there will be benchmarks galore and you'll know what will be the wisest upgrade path you take.

In the meantime, for tangible results now, slap another stick of RAM in your rig and give your page file a rest. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:17 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Jord413 wrote:

I've been running 1GB of RAM for the past 18 months and haven't looked back. I'm planning on adding another GB or two soon.

I've noticed that the more RAM in a system the more one application can suck up at a time.

I've posted the following over the past couple months and I'll post it again as an example:

Adobe Premiere 6.5 w/ 512MB (Windows XP Pro) = Eats up 58MB of RAM
Adobe Premiere 6.5 w/ 1GB (Windows XP Pro) = Eats up ~300MB of RAM

I wanna see how much it'll eat up when I offer it another GB to chew on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:08 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Jord413 wrote:
A few of you guys were helping me the other day with some processor/mobo choices and now the only real question that remains would be the ram. Is 1 gig really gonna help me? Getting 512 is considerably less than the 1 gig kits/chips from newegg.

It's pretty easy to just go with a 2x256MB set up, and if you don't like it just drop in another 2x256! Depending on the memory, the smaller sized sticks have the better timmings anyway. Just check for compatibility issues and try it out.

And I don't see the price difference if you stay away from the big 1G sticks...and I would.

256MB+256MB=$115 ($230 for 1G and all your slots are used up)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 882&depa=1

or

512MB+512MB=1G for $243 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 883&depa=1
(note: same timmings)
$13 is no biggie to IMO.

(FYI, I simply start with 1gig now. Can't go wrong really...unless you fill all the slots:p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:40 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

i say start with 512, and if you have slow performance, up it to 1 gig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:57 pm 

Jord413 wrote:
One more question :) I am looking to play Doom 3 when it is released shortly. Presently, I can upgrade my geforce 3 ti 200 (128 meg version) to a radeon 9800 pro. The question would be which way would I be more likely to receive more performance in doom 3. I'm thinking the video card would help solely for the DX9 support.

I would wait till Doom3 comes out. I'm positive forums all over the world will be talking about D3 it's Frame Rates by different cards people have. I have the 9800Pro and waiting for ATI's X800XT to come into retail. I may have to wait till after D3 hits the stores 1st. Doom3 will work better on Nvidia cause of the OpenGL support. ATI does DX better so HL2 should do well there. I'm going wait on an upgrade till I see some testing done with D3 out there.

Pale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:54 pm 

I've got 1 gig in my workstation, and right now, I have 236 meg unused. I'd say a gig is a minimum.

jaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:58 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

jazzmans wrote:
I've got 1 gig in my workstation, and right now, I have 236 meg unused. I'd say a gig is a minimum.

jaz

You probably have too many programs in your system tray, or you are in sore need of a reboot...

I have about that much free on my laptop right now, running Winamp and Firefox. My laptop has 512MB of DDR.