Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FAIREWIRE networks
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:42 am 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

i was reading in my sb manual about these networks....and i was wondering if they work like regular lan? and would their be a problem playing games over these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:36 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Did that manual perhaps have a mis-spell of the English word "firewire"? Those French Canadian interpreters will often do that to us yanks...

If so, then ya...pretty much the same. They're nice for lan parties, but I would go so far as making a home network or anything using firewire. The 400Mbps looks appealing compared to the standard 100Mbps, but I'd rather go for a Gigabit networking solution.

The IEEE 1394 spec (that's what firewire is) puts the longest cord at 15ft, and a repeater for every 15ft there after. Fiber is a solution, but not for the price and a home network. You could put two PC's right by each other and frag to your heart's content, I just wouldn't. I only like FW for periphials like cameras and such. For any gamming solution (like a small LAN), the old 100Mbps is fine and all I'd think you'd ever need. If you would, for some reason, need more bandwidth, the Gigabit path is the road to take (some big LAN parties are now set up with it)

If you need help setting one up, either google for it, or come back in here...but I'm pretty sure it's not really that good of an option. IMO anyway. Just about any computer has a 10/100 nic built in (or a NIC card is dirt cheap) and you won't have a problem finding another item to hook into (like an Xbox).

If it's not firewire, then I just wasted my breath...because I have no idea what fairewire is besides the french word for firewire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:27 pm 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

yay i spelled it wrong. Sorry nott perrfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:52 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I would say just stick with ethernet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:00 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

network cards arnt that expensive..in fact, i got mine for the tax on 5$

(free after mail in, but still had tax to pay..)

i would go with that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:05 am 
M-Powered
M-Powered

SomeGuy wrote:
I would say just stick with ethernet.

Why, firewire is four times faster, if he thinks Ethernet is slow (like I do) then it's worth it, especially if we're talking about laptops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:39 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Because of the limited cable lengths. Not to mention you have to daisy chain to make any LAN over 2 PCs.

Sure, for transferring files between a desktop and laptop or two laptops, it may work.

But if he wants to make a "real" LAN out of it, I dont think it would be very cost efficient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:10 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Chumly wrote:
For any gamming solution (like a small LAN), the old 100Mbps is fine and all I'd think you'd ever need. If you would, for some reason, need more bandwidth, the Gigabit path is the road to take (some big LAN parties are now set up with it)

That's funny.

Ten years ago my brother an I set up a 10Mbit IPX network so we could beat the shit outta each other with Doom II, we thought that 10Mbit was all anyone would ever need. How times have changed. 100Mbit is an inexpensive LAN gaming solution for right now, but looking at the past and then the present, I think the future of gaming willl definitely be a gigabit one.

Now that Linksys has a $17 Gigabit Ethernet card out ($16.50 @ NewEgg), I think the conversion to Gigabit will happen once the 5 and 8 port switches come down in price. Then again, there's probably a lot of people waiting for PCI Express so that their NIC won't be clogging up the PCI bus. Ok, enough rambling for now......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:39 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Flytrap7 wrote:
100Mbit is an inexpensive LAN gaming solution for right now, but looking at the past and then the present, I think the future of gaming willl definitely be a gigabit one.

Totally agree. I usually seem wishy-washy on some posts due to the question at hand. I do feel that Gigabit networking is the way to go! But I had no idea about...
[quote="Flytrap7]
Now that Linksys has a $17 Gigabit Ethernet card out ($16.50 @ NewEgg)[/quote]
I didn't know they were that cheap! Thanks for the info. I had recently done a search there and it seemed that they were all running at around $45, so I didn't stock up yet. My new board has dual Gigabit onboard*, so I'd like to bring the rest up to speed. Ordering a few....NOW. :D

*not that it runs yet:p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:42 pm 

I saw it a few days ago and I was comtemplating upgrading my network to Gigabit. But I have to justify it first, I do move around a lot of large 13GB-20GB DV video files but they usualy get moved around via Firewire.

When the Linksys Gigabit 5 Port switch drops to around $69-$79 a pop I'll upgrade my network to Gigabit (with the exception of my 486 which is stuck at 10/100 unless they make ISA gigabit adapters :þ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:03 pm 

Chumly wrote:
Totally agree. I usually seem wishy-washy on some posts due to the question at hand. I do feel that Gigabit networking is the way to go! But I had no idea about...
Flytrap7 wrote:
Now that Linksys has a $17 Gigabit Ethernet card out ($16.50 @ NewEgg)

I didn't know they were that cheap! Thanks for the info. I had recently done a search there and it seemed that they were all running at around $45, so I didn't stock up yet. My new board has dual Gigabit onboard*, so I'd like to bring the rest up to speed. Ordering a few....NOW. :D

Looks like I was wrong. It's some off-brand that almost has the same name as Linksys. I hate creeps that name/run companies like that. $#!&ing deceptive. Here's the link anyway:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 203&depa=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:27 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

LOL...I saw that too. I went to Linksys' site first to get the P/N and noticed they didn't sell them:p Then tripped across that card with the namefuxor.

Still, I saw the D-Link Gigabit card and got a couple as they're still pretty cheap. I don't mind D-link stuff at all, so I'm happy.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 134&depa=0

Also see a Netgear unit not to badly priced. I don't know what's so good about Intel's Pro 1000MT, but they want a pretty penny for them still :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:32 am 
Team Member
Team Member

wow, those r cheap as hell, i may be movin over to gigabit lan soon myself ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:22 pm 

Chumly wrote:
LOL...I saw that too. I went to Linksys' site first to get the P/N and noticed they didn't sell them:p Then tripped across that card with the namefuxor.

Still, I saw the D-Link Gigabit card and got a couple as they're still pretty cheap. I don't mind D-link stuff at all, so I'm happy.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 134&depa=0

Also see a Netgear unit not to badly priced. I don't know what's so good about Intel's Pro 1000MT, but they want a pretty penny for them still :p

I've got a lot of Beef with failing D-link cards, so I don't use their stuff anymore. :P