Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Refurbished Parts Ever OK
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:59 pm 

When I save up some more cash (having just put down a lot of some conservative system upgrades) I would like to get a decent monitor. I have a 19in Viewsonic A90 original, but it doesnt work any more. So I'm riding on borrow 15" junkers. This leads me to asking - have many of you purchased refurbed monitors? Are they really risky? Or generally alright? I can get a newer viewsonic or similar for about $160. For that price I could almost justify getting two for my Radeon 9600Pro (I do programming and web design work, so it would be nice). But I don't want to pour my money down the drain.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:12 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I would say that it depends on the warranty that you get along with them. If it's like 90 days, and ur willing to pay $160 for a monitor that only lasts 100 days or so, then go for it, if you're not, then i wouldnt chance it. The people i know havent had a lot of luck with refurbed stuff. But i would say if they give u a 1 year warranty, then i would definitely go with it. Most of the places ive seen only give u a 30 - 60 day warranty tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:23 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Refurbed stuff isnt that bad.

I try to stay away just because I prefer to buy new, but if its a steal, go for it.

But honestly I just havent heard much about refurb stuff (good or bad...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:19 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I know whay you mean by loosing a monitor. I've been crying like a little girl with a skinned knee when my KDS blew up. It was cheap a few years back and I was juuuust starting to talk good about it here in the forums...then boom. Like you, I had to scrounge up a 15" to get back to my PC. (I found mine on the side of the road! hahaha...)

That being said, I've totally rethought my idea of monitors value-wise. When I bought that monitor, I knew it was cheap and it was bigger than the 17" I had at that time. But a few years down the road, it not only toasted itself, but took out my video card and then screwed the second monitor too. No way. This time I spent some cash...

But don't feel like I'm scaring you away from the refurbs. If it's a good company, their refurb process should be fine. If a card blows in the monitor, then they just swap the board with a new one. I don't see too much else in there that could go bad that wouldn't cause a new one to go as well.

But why refurbished? I see that you've found the viewsonics for about $160, but don't overlook that it's a shadow mask unit and has a pretty horrible 27mm diagonal dot pitch. Those kind of specs really aren't worth having around with even MODERATE graphic work. I really love the P95F+B 19" from viewsonic. It has everything I'd look for in a monitor in that size range. I've compared them all in another thread, so i'm not too excited about doing it again...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 232&depa=0

If you shop refurbished (and I would) I'd still try to get the monitor I would want in retail area rather than just getting some other brand because it's available.

Things I'd look for:
  • at least .25mm DIAGONAL pitch. Some list horizontal which really isn't a fair comparison.
  • aperature grill. I can't even stare at a shadow mask unit more than a few minutes anymore.
  • high refreshrates. I'd say 1600x1200 @ 85Hz is a good goal. If you run 1024x768 still, a monitor with that spec should be able to run that resolution at 100Hz. High is good. Again, I can't look at something below 80 without getting a serious headache.

Once you find one you want, check and see if you can find one cheap on pricewatch, then try to look at what you can get in the refurbs.

Monitors I like: Viewsonic (G or P series), NEC and HP for the middle class CRT's. But again, I'm a Viewsonic P-series whore at the moment!

Oh, Don't forget shipping on either the refurb or the retail! I see that the 19" monitors run $35 to ship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:09 am 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

Ive bought plenty of PC components from Neweggs refurb section and have never had a problem yet. As for monitors, ive bought factory reconditioned ones from overstock.com for $85 for customers that couldnt afford new ones. Ive explained the warranty to them and they dont mind, to them its worth the risk. Ive used one personally for about 5 months and ive sold 9 of them over the last 2 years. None of them have come back with any problems.

I will be monitor hunting in the near future as well. My 20" HP is finally starting to go. Its been randomly flickering a pink color, lol. Ill tough it out until it dies, nothing major yet. I like the 19" Samsungs with 3 year warranty from newegg, around $200 shipped i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:18 am 
INFINITE vCORE
INFINITE vCORE

Stick with a reputable retailer like www.newegg.com...

I haven't bought a refurbed item from them, but others generally speak well of the experience.

I HAVE bought non-refurb items from them though, and have always been 100% satisfied...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:54 am 
Solid as a rock
Solid as a rock

Im the king of refurb's on newegg.

I only been burned once, but newegg refunded my money even after the 15days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:50 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I say only buy refurb stuff if you are sure you can get your money back if the thing blows up. Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer like Newegg.

otherwise don't bother.

Post subject: Re: Refurbished Parts Ever OK
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:16 pm 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

bcnmc wrote:
When I save up some more cash (having just put down a lot of some conservative system upgrades) I would like to get a decent monitor. I have a 19in Viewsonic A90 original, but it doesnt work any more. So I'm riding on borrow 15" junkers. This leads me to asking - have many of you purchased refurbed monitors? Are they really risky? Or generally alright? I can get a newer viewsonic or similar for about $160. For that price I could almost justify getting two for my Radeon 9600Pro (I do programming and web design work, so it would be nice). But I don't want to pour my money down the drain.

-Chris

Shipping back a bad monitor will more than eat up any savings. I always buy monitors from computer shops or best buy and circuit city. That said, I have bought video cards and motherboards from neweggs refurbs. with no complaints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:22 pm 
Sailorman
Sailorman

If you have the bucks you might want to consider a flat panel. CRT's seem to be on their way out. I prefer Sony G410R's but Sony is only mqking one 21" CRT now. The other manufacturers may not be far behind.

Of course Flats are much better than they used to be, some of them anyway.

Sorry I don't know much about your original question on refurbs. I do trust Newegg though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:29 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

i say yes i have bouthe referb. items before and i have had good luck with them most times they carry the same or compareable warentee depends on the manufacture

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:33 pm 

[quote="Nightcrawler"]If you have the bucks you might want to consider a flat panel. CRT's seem to be on their way out. I prefer Sony G410R's but Sony is only mqking one 21" CRT now. The other manufacturers may not be far behind.

Of course Flats are much better than they used to be, some of them anyway....quote]

I would like flat monitors, but I was figuring either 1) to save money going with a larger CRT - I have the desk space, or that for only about 30% more than the cost a quality 17"-19" flat, I could get two good 19" CRTs.

I think I will take the jist of the forum's advice and go with a new model on the monitor(s).