Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: memory upgrade
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:35 am 
Klamath
Klamath

hey guys I have a GA-81875/G-81K1100 mobo with a stick of 512 samsung pc3200. Now I am planning on buying an extra gig of corsair sticks because I have heard great things about that brand. Now the question is, will it bring conflit between these 2 brands? Also, how does dual channel works? Thanks in advance guys.

deivys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:54 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

As a rule of thumb, you want identical sticks (size, speed, manufacturer), but it's not a requirement. You will, however, need the same size in each memory bank and an even amount of sticks. With your existing stick of 512mb, you'd need either another 512mb stick, or get your Corsair 1gb kit in 2x512mb variety and toss your existing 512mb stick.

Here is a link to the manual for your mobo. Please refer to pages 15-16 (19 and 20 on Adobe) for what you'll need to know to run dual channel:

Motherboard Manual

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:08 am 
Klamath
Klamath

thanks a lot for the reply. I was planning on buying 2x512 sticks but I guess I will buy one for now, see how it behaves and in the future add another gig. I cant toss the one I have now because I do heavy graphics work and I need all the memory I can. Thats the main reason I bought that mobo because of the amount of memory it can hold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:04 am 
Northwood
Northwood

ive heard instability issues when it comes to mixing two brands of memory modules. but the thing is i know people who do that all the time and not get any instability conflicts. my suggestion is try it out and see if your system is stable or whatnot.

whats best like the other post said is yuo get the same speed, size, and even manufacturer.

Post subject: Re: memory upgrade
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:39 am 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

deivys wrote:
hey guys I have a GA-81875/G-81K1100 mobo with a stick of 512 samsung pc3200. Now I am planning on buying an extra gig of corsair sticks because I have heard great things about that brand. Now the question is, will it bring conflit between these 2 brands? Also, how does dual channel works? Thanks in advance guys.

deivys

Make sure you goto your motherboard manufacture website and check up on your mobo on memory compatibility. My last mobo an Epox didn't like my corsair ram, until I had to go through 3-4 BIOS updates to get it to work right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:53 am 
Klamath
Klamath

thanks guys I guess I will keep buying samsumg memory because I have it on this machine for a couple of month now and it works great.