Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Upgrading video card??
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:26 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I want to buy this video card ($199.00) but don't know if my system supports it:

Quote:
SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -BULK -OEM

Model# RADEON 9800PRO 128M
Item # N82E16814102268

Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9800 PRO/380MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/680MHz
BUS: AGP 8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video Out)+DVI Connector
Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®2.0
Cable/Accessories: 4 Cables, VGA via DVI Adapter, PowerDVD, Driver CD
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz

My system specs are:

GA-7DX motherboard
AthlonXP 1800+
Enermax Whisper 350W power supply
WinXP Home
GeForce3 Ti-500 (currently)

What is the best video card I can install on my system? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:59 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

hmmmmmmm i didnt know what chipset your mobo was so i went to the gigabyte website and checked your mobo out. the only model closest to your mobo model number that i found was GA-7DXE which is an AMD 761 chipset. im assuming the chipset for your mobo is an amd 761 also. man this was one of the best chipsets back in the days.

anywayz, i dont know if your mobo supports the videocard you are buying. to me you might have some conflicts such as voltage settings and if the mobo can handle the voltage of the videocard or not. i could be wrong and hopefully someone shed the light to you.

just buy it and test it out and see if it works. also i heard issues with newer videocards can result with instability issues when put in an older mobo that doesnt support 8x.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:07 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

You have an AGP 2.0 compliant slot. It should work just fine.

FYI, here's the spec page for your mobo:
http://www.gigabyte.de/MotherBoard/Prod ... GA-7DX.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:47 pm 

Should work fine as long as you don't have a lot of power hungry parts currently hooked up. If you have the average amount, (1-2 optical drives, 1 hard drive, 1-2 pci cards, 2-3 fans) your enermax 350w psu should be able to handle it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:01 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

keymaker wrote:
hmmmmmmm i didnt know what chipset your mobo was so i went to the gigabyte website and checked your mobo out. the only model closest to your mobo model number that i found was GA-7DXE which is an AMD 761 chipset. im assuming the chipset for your mobo is an amd 761 also. man this was one of the best chipsets back in the days.

anywayz, i dont know if your mobo supports the videocard you are buying. to me you might have some conflicts such as voltage settings and if the mobo can handle the voltage of the videocard or not. i could be wrong and hopefully someone shed the light to you.

just buy it and test it out and see if it works. also i heard issues with newer videocards can result with instability issues when put in an older mobo that doesnt support 8x.

Actually, I believe my mobo model is GA-7DX--not GA-7DXE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:17 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Whoe...slow down. Oh wait. Scared me. All I saw was 4x sidebanding on this board which usually means new cards won't go in because of the higher voltages...then I saw the link One4yu2c posted up.

Ya, you'r board is keyed for a 1.5v AGP and the card will go in and fire up. But you only have 4x sidebanding. While some say you really don't use anything above the 4x's bandwidth, I'm still skeptical. I have a Gigabyte 8IHXP that only has 4x and I would say it's holding things back. The same card scores better in 3Dmark in another Intel branded 8x board

But, for $200 you really can do no wrong. If it won't work and you keep the smoke in it, I get dibs!