Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hybrid IDE and SATA RAID 1 possible?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:17 pm 

Trying to see if my IDE 80gb WD Caviar SE 8mb buffer will work with a new 74 GB WD Raptor if I put them in RAID 1 configuration? This is going to be on an Intel D875PBZ board with P4 3.4.

If its possible, is there any way I can make the Raptor the "default" drive?

Or would the Raptor be faster standalone than having an IDE piggyback on it, as opposed to having two Raptors together (I can only afford ONE Raptor drive!)

Thanks again for all your insight! :)

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:00 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hi

If you want to build any kind of raid configuration, the hard drives have to be the same..same make/model/size etc..

You most deffinately want to make the Rapture your main drive. There's no point in having an ass kicking 10,000 RPM hard drive for storage.

Congrats on getting the raptor :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:49 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Wont work.

While it is best to have identical drives in a RAID array, it is possible to have non-similar drives in an array.

But they would most likely need to be on the same interface to do it with hardware.

In your case, your board wont RAID drives that arent on the same connection, not in a hardware method anyway.

I would highly suggest against doing an SATA + IDE RAID setup...it's not going to help performance, and more than likely might hurt performance.

You would be better off just doing regular backups to your 80GB drive rather than trying to do a RAID.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:16 pm 

The only motherboard I know of that can do RAID across SATA and PATA channels is the MSI K8N Neo Platinum Edition, which is reviewed in this month's MaximumPC.

There may be more, as I haven't been in the motherboard market for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:36 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Booradley wrote:
If you want to build any kind of raid configuration, the hard drives have to be the same..same make/model/size etc...

NOT. it's preferred, but not needed.

Manufactuer? Any combo would work in theory. As long as they're close in specs, they have a strong possiblity to work just fine.

Size? A RAID array will have the capacity of the lowest and slowest of the array. An 80G and a 120G 0 stripe will act like two 80's and throw the other 40G's of the larger drive out the window.

But, it IS highly recommend to do what you state to get the most out of an array.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:41 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Without another motherboard (and an entire system change due to that) you can't test the this. (one of the new boards allows you to mix and match IDE and SATA...IIRC)

The raptor by itself does, indeed, rock. The seek times are amazing and the peak read/writes are better than that IDE could dream to reach. Run it alone and maybe some fairy PC godmother will drop another raptor on your noggin some day:D

(Oh, now I read it...MSI allows it. I missed cputeq's post)