Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Opinions on FDB hard drives
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:45 pm 

edit - I realized perhaps people haven't been using FDB drives for 6 months, so any opinions would be nice ;)
---------------

*sigh* It always happens.

You buy a shiny new 7200+ RPM hard drive, install it, and are so
wowed at how silent the darn thing is.

Yippy, no more loud computer.

Then, of course, you actually use the hard drive for a few months, and gradually the noise gets louder, until finally hitting a peak that's so teeth-grittingly annoying as to be unbearable.

My sig says which hard drive I have (IDE version of the 120GB WD JBB drive, about 7 months old).

It's driving me insane with its whine, and is definitely the loudest component in my system. It's not a vibration problem; this is all hard drive motor whine.

So ANYWAY, my question:

Does anyone have any good (meaning 6 months or over) experience with one of the Fluid Dynamic Bearing hard drives? Supposedly they're silent, but hell, so was mine when I first bought it....so I can't really take a net review's recommendations since they usually use the drive for such a short period of time.

I'm looking to toss this WD into the extra parts pile and get myself a SATA Hitachi 160GB with the fluid bearings, but I'd really love any noise impressions on the drive if anyone has any.

Please, only comment on FDB drives....I've given up on regular bearing drives, as this is my 4th decently-modern hard drive (and 3rd brand)...they all eventually turn loud.

Thanks much.

Edit x 3 -- Blasted signature not working. Bah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:30 pm 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

Well Pretty much all the new HDs out there have their own FDB. And when I first contacted with one, was my Seagate Berracuda IV 40GB drive that claimed it had. You know what, its been a couple years, and it is still silent as one can be. I bought a new WD 80 SE drive, and it is quiet.

So any new drive you buy should have it and they are pretty silent.

Only drives I've heard with people on the forums says Maxtors are loud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:34 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

We have a total of 3 WD800JB (non-FDB) drives (one in mine, 2 in my dad's), which are all very quiet, ever since we bought them (mine is about 3 years old, dad's are about 2 years old). My case fans are louder (even when reading/writing to the HDD).

That said, I think you need to backup your data and RMA it if possible, or get in touch with WD tech support, obviously it should be quieter and IMO you should be able to get it replaced (either from the store you bought it from or WD).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:26 am 
Northwood
Northwood

I've had this maxtor for almost 2yrs..haven't heard anything yet :)

http://tinyurl.com/27ayn

Last edited by JAFAH5150 on Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:34 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

JAFAH5150 wrote:
I've had this maxtor ...[very long link]

When you run across a huge link like that, try and utilize tinyurl.com please. Those big bastards "break the tables" and is frowned upon. I'm guilty of it too...

If you could, would you please edit your post and replace the long link with the following:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:17 am 
Team Member
Team Member

or just do this:
Code:
[url=long ass url]CLICK HERE[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:19 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Chumly wrote:
JAFAH5150 wrote:
I've had this maxtor ...[very long link]

When you run across a huge link like that, try and utilize tinyurl.com please. Those big bastards "break the tables" and is frowned upon. I'm guilty of it too...

If you could, would you please edit your post and replace the long link with the following:

holy crap! I didn't think it would spread out like that :shock:

added: never used that tinyurl thing before...going to add that to my favs...thanx :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:20 am 

Hrm, thanks for the replies, but I'm not convinced my hard drive is faulty at all.

I've recently owned 2 Maxtor hard drives, 1 IBM 60GXP (not the faulty 75GXP line), and now the WDD hard drive.

All 4 drives have acted the exact same way. Silent when you first buy them, but then eventually motor whine becomes noticable.

I know I'm unlucky, but c'mon...I'm not *that* unlucky ;)

Perhaps I just have a different definition of what "loud" is....or maybe motor whine is just on a frequency that really irritates me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:04 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Well, it does seem odd that you have so many drives act the same way.

But mine are just as quiet as the day I bought them.

Oh and, BTW, the 60GXPs were known to fail as well...
Not till the 120GXP was the problem really fixed, but by then it was too late. The 180GXP was very nice, but soon after Hitachi bought IBMs hard drive division.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:48 am 

Quote:
Well, it does seem odd that you have so many drives act the same way

Well, I think my problem was I never really shopped for quiet drives ;)

The 2 maxtors were older models, and the older maxtors were well-known for their noise.

The 60GXP was a great drive, and really I had no complaints with it except for the whine. That drive I eventually gave away (complete with system) to my parents a few days ago.

-----

This WD 120JBB is driving me insane, however. It took a *lot* of digging, but I eventually came upon several reviews, comments, etc. specifically pointing out the WD 120 drives as having a highly annoying high-pitched motor whine. These comments were a combination of Newegg.com customer reviews (taken with a grain of salt...but several comments pointing to the WD 120 drives) and various noise-oriented websites.

Oh well, eventually I ended up going with a Seagate 120GB model (PATA...I felt a bit uneasy using a "3rd party" SATA controller that is on my A7N8X-Deluxe and like Nvidia's IDE performance anyway).

The drive I ordered had a truck load of nothing but positive comments about noise and performance, so I caved in and purchased.

I love my WD's speed, but krikey the whine is driving me nuts.

*** Tech Note:

Not a heat problem with these drives, which I'm sure some may suspect...here's my setup:

Drive mounted in Lian-Li PC-60(B?)USB. Vertically mounted in front of the 2 intake fans, so plenty of cooling for the drive.

AMD XP 2500+, retail fan / HS.

Also: (1) 80mm exhaust, Thermaltake 480W PS (with its own speed control).

Nothing overclocked. System temperatures all low. Ambient room temp around 76F.

That being said, the case fan is definitely next to go. I think the WD hard drive and fan are fighting over noise supremacy or something :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:01 am 
Northwood
Northwood

cputeq:

have you noticed any problems with the power where you live(spikes or sags)?

do you use a ups?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:33 pm 

JAFAH5150 wrote:
cputeq:

have you noticed any problems with the power where you live(spikes or sags)?

do you use a ups?

No power problems, and I don't use a UPS.

Curious as to why you ask...perhaps bad power being fed to the HDD ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:42 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Spikes should be stopped at the Power Strip or at the Power Supply. If not, I'd get another setup! Shouldn't ever reach the HDD(s)...

As far as sags, a UPS would be the best bet. I get a few, so I'm now on the hunt. It sucks to be working on something and lose everything. It ruined my last WinXP install:p Just don't plug your monitor into the UPS.

Either way, it's really not good reasoning to point at for making whining noise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:02 am 
Northwood
Northwood

cputeq

Quote:
Curious as to why you ask...perhaps bad power being fed to the HDD ?

I'm not saying it is the problem, just a possibly...but chances are you would experiece other other problems over time too

I have to dissagree with Chumly(no offence intended) about plugging a monitor into a ups, if you do decide to get one, choose one that can power both your pc and monitor...it's hard to save what you're doing or shutdown if you can't see it :)

APC has a calculator for figureing out how much you'll need:

http://www.apcc.com/template/size/apc/index.cfm

a good ups is cheap insurance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:50 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Chumly:

Quote:
Spikes should be stopped at the Power Strip

not always, power strips are only reliable at stopping what they are rated for and should be replaced if it has been zapped

Quote:
or at the Power Supply

sags will damage powers supplies over time..it puts a strain on them

Quote:
Either way, it's really not good reasoning to point at for making whining noise.

my reasoning is based on personal experience :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:28 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

You've had power sags cause harddrives to squeel like pigs and so many power sags that your power supplies failed?

There's no better and cheaper insurance than "save often".

No offence taken, but what I intented to mean is that you get more time to shut items down by not plugging in the monitor to the ups. My little unit was expensive enought for my taste and all I want it to keep the hard drives from getting bad sectors. I use it to keep 3 computers up long enough to shutdown on their own...I don't have to see any of that part at all. The built in software is a lifesaver.

I think it's rated at 10 minutes for one, and it can hold 'em all up about 2 minutes which will do for me. All my periphials and pumps go into the wall sockets. (why the hell do they ask what type of printer you use? That's ignorant!)

I was incorrect in posting a firm looking "don't", so I'll bow to the side on that one. You just won't catch me plugging the monitor into one:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:07 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

there's plenty of articles about the effects of power sag/brown outs on electric motors

http://www.apcc.com/power/power_event.cfm

Quote:
You've had power sags cause harddrives to squeel like pigs

yep, a close friend - 4 drives(different manufacturers/stores)squeeled and died within 3-8months of eachother..a power strip with a line conditioner(not a ups) cured it. His cdrom was never quite right during that time either

I had one hdd die completely and another that was slaved to it , squeels and nolonger works with other hdd..it passes a fitness test but I don't trust it

in both situations, dirty power was the only common factor

Quote:
so many power sags that your power supplies failed?

yep, 2 of'em died within a week of each other

Quote:
I use it to keep 3 computers up long enough to shutdown on their own

aah, i c now
btw how's the shutdown software these days? Have you experienced any data loss/corruption (after a power-out) since you started using it? I'm just curious cuz I haven't read anything or talked to anyone about it for years :)

Quote:
(why the hell do they ask what type of printer you use? That's ignorant!)

lol, cuz a laser printer will suck a ups dry faster than a 5$ crack-ho ;)

Quote:
"save often".

words to live by my friend, words to live by :)

Post subject: Reply to hard drive noise
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:16 pm 

I suggest going to silentpcreview.com, a great low noise computing site.

There you should find plenty of discussions about hard drive noise, and a list of recommended hard drives as well.

For about a year the quiet standard were the Seagate Barracuda IV drives. I have had one for about two years and it is still very quiet.
That series has been replaced by a new one.

Many users are finding that the new series of Samsung drives (yes Samsung does make hard drives) are very quiet.

Both of these use FDB--Fluid Dynamic Bearings.

So do all the Hitachi (IBM) and Maxtor drives. The consensus is that the Hitachi drives are pretty quiet but with a tiny bit of whine. Check out Mike Chinn's review of several drives in a comparison test for noise.

Western Digital is the only company that doesn't use FDBings in most of its drives. Most people find WD drives to be loud and put them out of the running. It is rumored that WD will be coming out with FDBings soon.

Rusk