Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dream Machine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:08 am 

Hey everybody! I'm currently in the market for a really sweet computer, but it seems to me like all of the really nice companies like alienware and velocity micro and the like waaaaaay overcharge, so I've decided to build my own machine. It'll be fun, right? So, I'm asking for the most amazing dream machine setup you guys can come up with. Also, what do you guys think about water cooling? It looks cool, and I'm planning on over-clocking my beast, but what do I know. Money really is no object for this beast, but let's try and keep it below the $7,500 dollar mark. Thanks much!

Post subject: Re: Dream Machine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:16 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

civilianbarbie42 wrote:
Hey everybody! I'm currently in the market for a really sweet computer, but it seems to me like all of the really nice companies like alienware and velocity micro and the like waaaaaay overcharge, so I've decided to build my own machine. It'll be fun, right? So, I'm asking for the most amazing dream machine setup you guys can come up with. Also, what do you guys think about water cooling? It looks cool, and I'm planning on over-clocking my beast, but what do I know. Money really is no object for this beast, but let's try and keep it below the $7,500 dollar mark. Thanks much!

The following are loose specs:

Dual Opteron 850's
2GB PC3200 (4x 512MB Reg/ECC)
Tyan K8W Dually
GeForce 6800 Ultra w/ Dual DVI's
Twin Viewsonic VP201B's
Audigy 2 ZS
Klipsch 5.1's
2x WD Raptors in a Raid 0
1x 250GB Maxtor as backup/file storage.
Plextor 12x DVD-R
SOme large eATX case.

Since the monitors + CPUs alone would be ~3700, I think it'll bump close to your $7500 limt.

However, I generally don't see the point in such a huge computer. With the exception of the twin flat panels, almost everything else will no longer be cutting edge in a year. I'd personally get something line an Athlon 64 3500+, GeRorce 6800GT and a single FP with 1 Raptor/1250GB Hdd and the same soundcard/DVD-R. That'd probaby be about $3200.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:50 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Beelzebubba9 wrote:
civilianbarbie42 wrote:

Dual Opteron 850's
Tyan K8W Dually
Twin Viewsonic VP201B's
Audigy 2 ZS
Klipsch 5.1's
Plextor 12x DVD-R
SOme large eATX case.

Since the monitors + CPUs alone would be ~3700, I think it'll bump close to your $7500 limt.

However, I generally don't see the point in such a huge computer. With the exception of the twin flat panels, almost everything else will no longer be cutting edge in a year. I'd personally get something line an Athlon 64 3500+, GeRorce 6800GT and a single FP with 1 Raptor/1250GB Hdd and the same soundcard/DVD-R. That'd probaby be about $3200.

what would be sweet to have

::drools::

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:05 am 

ok, but now what about weater cooling?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:14 am 
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock

Unless you're planning to over clock or you really want a silent system watercooling holds little purpose. I guess bragging rights should be up there too. I watercooled a Shuttle XPC system and it’s nice and quiet, but I don’t overclock and I run 2 other computers most of the time … so the silence is drowned out by two other systems in close proximity. It was kind of pointless :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:39 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

civilianbarbie42 wrote:
ok, but now what about weater cooling?

Water cooling is a great buzzword, but unless you are looking for a project that will require some measure of constant upkeep or you really need to overclock while maintaining a quiet system, it's not worth it. IMO.

Watercooling Dually systems can be a bit of a bitch too.

Personally, I'd just stick to quiet fans and such.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:06 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Beelzebubba9 wrote:
civilianbarbie42 wrote:

Dual Opteron 850's
Tyan K8W Dually
Twin Viewsonic VP201B's
Audigy 2 ZS
Klipsch 5.1's
Plextor 12x DVD-R
SOme large eATX case.

it would be better with an X800 XT PE in there and a 250GB WD drive for backup and the logitech Z-680's would save him some money for other things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:32 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I think a single socket 939 athlon 64 with 1Gig of ram and like raid 5 would be a good starting point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:46 pm 

You should wait a little longer, grin and bear it and go alienware with their new ALX line.
3.4 P4EE
2GB Ram
Dual X800 XT PE's
Dual 74GB Raptors
Dual 400GB Hiatchi's
Audigy 2 zs
Klipsch 5.1's
maybe they still even ofer the apple 30 inch display
that wuld be UBER high end
would own all and look good at the same time

EDIT= sorry, i dont think they come EE, i think they are dual xeon's, which would be even more fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:41 am 

who on their right mind would spend 7500 on a damn computer....u could buy a f'n car for that much......i thought 2 grand was badd..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:01 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

healy0203 wrote:
who on their right mind would spend 7500 on a damn computer....u could buy a f'n car for that much......i thought 2 grand was badd..

Someone who has $7500 to spend on a computer....

Duh.

*(one could make the quick assumption that if a person actually has $7500 to spend on a computer and isn't just trolling for attention, then they won't be shopping for a $7500 car.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:48 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Beelzebubba9 wrote:
Someone who has $7500 to spend on a computer....

Duh.

*(one could make the quick assumption that if a person actually has $7500 to spend on a computer and isn't just trolling for attention, then they won't be shopping for a $7500 car.)

lol I drive a $3000 car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:16 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

deject wrote:
lol I drive a $3000 car.

And I bet you don't have a $7,500 computer. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:32 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

A totally kickass system is hard to suggest with so much on the CLOSE horizon. Intel's new 925XE should bring some great items to our doorstep. Right now, I can't see anything being more kickass than an 875P setup for an Intel based system. An Abit IC7Max3 and a 3.4Extreme Edition can be had by anyone with some cash, but is hard to beat at the moment.

I've started a 925x based rig just to get going with the new and out with the old. I'm now only lacking the videocard:p It doesn't look like a serious contender or set to blow away any benchmarks, but it does bring myself to personal knowledge and use of the new products. I still belive the bus increase of the 925XE and the 775 cpu's that go with it should be worth the hype...my opinion only:p But I'm still hoping (along with thousands of others I'm assuming) that two 16x PCIE slots will appear next to each other then as well.

But, if waiting isn't an option...
An Athlon 64 3800+ (Skt 939) rig would surely make the geeky girls cream for ya! It's so damn close to the FX-53 I still wonder why people are still touting the 53 as THE AMD proc to get. You get an extra 512kb of L2 for $100? Kinda crazy IMO. The rest is really up to you. The best-of-the-best parts are already well stated (with the video card still up in the air). Just go down the list and order at will!

And watercooling: It seems that the popular vote seems that it's a must-have to have if you want to stand out. But I don't feel this way. Honostly, it's a pain in the ass, and a huge risk just running the thing. If you haven't had experience with it, I won't warn to stay away, but rather think of the risks involved using it then make your own decision. I, personally, wouldn't use it on a $1000 cpu/$200 MOBO/$600 memory rig. I only use it to speed up my older stuff so I can be happy running a $400 CPU...see what I'm getting at? If it's a kickass rig, then I don't see the dollar value in running a water-rig at all...especially when one drop of the stuff can send you from kickass-to-ohshit in half a second.

But it is a large part of the planning stage. I'd suggest weighing the options and decide if you want to use water before going too far into the buying process. Not only for the financing stages (lots of little hardware you need to concider), but for physical placement as well. Radiators, Resivoirs, and pumps take space and a well thought-through layout. Unless, you just want to be average and throw it in there:D