Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: nvidia's better...no ati's better
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:05 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

Why the hell should it matter which one gets 3 more fps then the other on a stupid benchmark? Why dont YOU GUYS/GALS...just buy something that works for u...and leave it at that. The new cards from nvidia and ati are proven awesome...for todays games and probaly for a
while after that...if the card u are using be it a gforce 2 or a brand new card do what u ask them to do...why the hell do people kick pissing and moaning about how this card is better then that, or that benchmark is bias to these cards and just be contemp with what u got. IF SOMETHING WORKS...DONT CHANGE IT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:09 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Who needs more than 200hp?

Post subject: who needs 200hp
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:21 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

nascar drivers i guess...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:02 pm 

Actually, right now its a lot more of a 3 fps difference with the new shader for Far Cry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:40 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

yeah, im still runnin a 32MB ATi Radeon VE, it's gettin to where stuff lags sometimes now, but since i dont play games on my computer, im not in a huge rush to upgrade, just waitin till i have the money, but other things r comings 1st.

Post subject: Re: nvidia's better...no ati's better
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:04 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Bigphathairydeal wrote:
Why the hell should it matter which one gets 3 more fps then the other on a stupid benchmark? Why dont YOU GUYS/GALS...just buy something that works for u...and leave it at that. The new cards from nvidia and ati are proven awesome...for todays games and probaly for a
while after that...if the card u are using be it a gforce 2 or a brand new card do what u ask them to do...why the hell do people kick pissing and moaning about how this card is better then that, or that benchmark is bias to these cards and just be contemp with what u got. IF SOMETHING WORKS...DONT CHANGE IT.

both are 500$. why get a crappy 500$ card instead of a better 500$ card?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:39 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

BiggPa wrote:

Calling either one "Crappy" is just plane ignorant. Both are so good, they are well worth their money. Which one is actually better is up to the user and why we have these "3dfx vs. nVidia" arguements again. It's not a bad thing, but you'll have a hard time getting a brand-zealot to alter his or her oppinion of an upside or downside to the card they worship.

Sad thing is, with all the bragging and heads getting blown...nunnya are actually buying any of them and would rather talk the talk. That's my guess :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:46 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Chumly wrote:
BiggPa wrote:

Calling either one "Crappy" is just plane ignorant. Both are so good, they are well worth their money. Which one is actually better is up to the user and why we have these "3dfx vs. nVidia" arguements again. It's not a bad thing, but you'll have a hard time getting a brand-zealot to alter his or her oppinion of an upside or downside to the card they worship.

Sad thing is, with all the bragging and heads getting blown...nunnya are actually buying any of them and would rather talk the talk. That's my guess :lol:

i only meant why get a card that is not as good as one that is the same price.

Quote:
Calling either one "Crappy" is just plane ignorant.

btw. it is plain, not air-plane

Last edited by BiggPa on Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:50 pm 

I will most likely buy the GT with my computer I will be building in a month or two. So people are buying them. I also agree with whoever said you want the better 500 dollar card. If you are spending the same amount of money, why get the card that is worse?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:53 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

BiggPa wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Calling either one "Crappy" is just plane ignorant.

LOL - alright, you two - settle down. Maybe Chumly ment the Euclidian plane of ignorance. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:57 pm 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

I'm not bias on ATI/NVIDIA. I own both products and love them each. I went through 2-3 different Nvidia cards before I switched to ATI. I usually go for what is the best for a mid-range budget card. I can't afford a high end card that will only live for 6-9 months. Whoever provides the best for 150-200 dollar range gets my money.

Since I use AMD choice cpus, I choose to stick with Nvidia's offering on motherboard chipsets. They make good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:15 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

BiggPa wrote:

i only meant why get a card that is not as good as one that is the same price.

Because it isn't that clear yet. Have you seen the benchmarks that are out there? Depending on who does the benches, you get a different winner. Anandtech for example...
Quote:

I had hoped that the speeel checking crap was over with 5 years ago. When this forum becomes a spelling bee, I'll be sure to correct all my errors. Until then, find a better arguement:p

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:17 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Gadget wrote:
LOL - alright, you two - settle down. Maybe Chumly ment the Euclidian plane of ignorance. :)

I had to google to find out what "Euclidian" meant :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:29 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

wiseoracle wrote:
I'm not bias on ATI/NVIDIA. I own both products and love them each.

That's because you are not a zealot:) It's rare...and honost.
Quote:
I usually go for what is the best for a mid-range budget card. I can't afford a high end card that will only live for 6-9 months. Whoever provides the best for 150-200 dollar range gets my money.

IMO, you share the common strategy of the mass market. Up until recently, I've followed the same idea. For some reason, I just want to go all out this one time. My cycle season is pretty much done already, so it opened up my play budget to other items like this. I've got bills too and no mommy to help:D

Myself, I'm still running older GF cards (one is a Ti4200) at the moment. When the 9800 came out smacking everything around, I still had no reason to purchase one. I have no game in my arsonal that even the 4200 can't handle.

I've said it elsewhere in this forum recently, but I really don't think many out there will actually buy these cards as soon as they're telling us they are. There's a poll here that's asking what people are running, and 3 of 32 votes already chimed in saying they're running a 6800Ultra or a GT. I highly doubt it, but it doesn't stop them from saying so in a forum where they don't have to back it up. It's all bench racing right now as far as I can see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:38 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

gobeavs wrote:
I also agree with whoever said you want the better 500 dollar card. If you are spending the same amount of money, why get the card that is worse?

In the same reasoning one would purchase a P4 2.4C instead of a 3.0c...because you can make the 2.4C run better at 3Ghz. Let me explain myself...you and I are looking at the same card. I want the GT as well. But I have an open budget and still didn't pick the 800xt or the 6800Ultra. Why? Because I can make the GT run within 5Mhz of the Ultra and save $100 bucks for other toys. To me, the extra $100 for the card isn't at all worth it just to have a benchmark sheet to brag about...if I would do that to begin with. I've been told numerous times at a Clan hangout that this individual is purchasing the 800XT simply because it broke the 3Dmark record...no other reason than that. That's blind.

Yes. If you have $500 that you have to spend on a video card, that choice would be clear.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:18 am 

Chumly wrote:
BiggPa wrote:

True... true. I agree my friend and I have use 3dfx, ATI, & NVIDIA and we prefer the NVIDIA line. In my opinion the 3D super powers love to see these types of arguments, it gives them justification to have such outrageous pricing for their product lines. 8) In the long run they only care about turing a profit and going to the Bahamas for their power luncheons. 8) Why so many reversions? Make a sound product the first time and quit holding back to profit more latter. I bought a FX 5600 256Meg for $250 when they first came out and before that I had 3 Voodoo 5's and 4 Voodoo2's in SLI let that be an example of how offten I buy cards. My next buy will not be till PCI express is a set standard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:41 am 

Chumly wrote:
In the same reasoning one would purchase a P4 2.4C instead of a 3.0c...because you can make the 2.4C run better at 3Ghz. Let me explain myself...you and I are looking at the same card. I want the GT as well. But I have an open budget and still didn't pick the 800xt or the 6800Ultra. Why? Because I can make the GT run within 5Mhz of the Ultra and save $100 bucks for other toys. To me, the extra $100 for the card isn't at all worth it just to have a benchmark sheet to brag about...if I would do that to begin with. I've been told numerous times at a Clan hangout that this individual is purchasing the 800XT simply because it broke the 3Dmark record...no other reason than that. That's blind.

Yes. If you have $500 that you have to spend on a video card, that choice would be clear.

I never said anything about getting a GT over an Ultra or anything like theat. I just said I was buying a GT, and I was repying to the original thread starter asking why everyone argues Nvidia/ATI. That is because you want the best performance. In reply directly to your quote, people may buy the 6800 ultra because they don't want to overclock, or they want to know they get those speeds. If they buy a GT, and it can't O/C worth beans, they are stuck with a GT, not an Ultra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:34 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

For me it's all about price vs performance.

I bought the Radeon 9600 Pro because it was cheaper and it still had all the DirectX 9.0 features that I wanted. I could have bought the 9800 but it would only have given me a higher frame rate. I would love the extra frames but my wallet loves the extra c-notes. :D

I've never bought the lastest tech when it comes out. I always wait for a generation to go by before I invest in new tech. The only thing I splurged on was my A7N8X-E mobo that I bought two months ago. But even then I hear it's been discontinued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:40 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I'm still bummed that the Parhelia had such slow clock speeds.

It coulda been a contender...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:05 am 
Willamette
Willamette

deject wrote:
I'm still bummed that the Parhelia had such slow clock speeds.

It coulda been a contender...

but but... gh3y!!!!