Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DVD-A compatible DVD-ROMs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:06 am 

I've been searching the net for many months now looking for a DVD-ROM that will play DVD-A disks and have come up with nothing so I was wondering if any of you people know of any DVD-ROMs that will play DVD-A disks.

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:50 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

probably any high-end DVD player

Post subject: Re: DVD-A compatible DVD-ROMs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:08 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

oobedoob wrote:
I've been searching the net for many months now looking for a DVD-ROM that will play DVD-A disks and have come up with nothing so I was wondering if any of you people know of any DVD-ROMs that will play DVD-A disks.

Thank you

It's not in the DVD-Rom drive. It's in the audio. For example, Audigy-2 cards are compatible. For the most part you need a DVD-Rom, 5.1 speakers are not required but nice, a compatible sound card, and compatible software. Of course, you also need a DVD-Audio disc to play.

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:42 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

n0b0dykn0ws wrote:
oobedoob wrote:

Thank you

It's not in the DVD-Rom drive. It's in the audio. For example, Audigy-2 cards are compatible. For the most part you need a DVD-Rom, 5.1 speakers are not required but nice, a compatible sound card, and compatible software. Of course, you also need a DVD-Audio disc to play.

n0b0dykn0ws

i *think* the reader needs to be able to read the A formatt.

if not, post otherwise...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:30 pm 

n0b0dykn0ws wrote:

n0b0dykn0ws

No, it definatly has to do with the DVD-ROM itself. I had an analog only audio DVD-ROM when I first built my system and it play DVD-A disk perfectly. I then upgraded to a different DVD-ROM with digtal and analog (since I wanted the digtial to get 5.1 sound out of video DVDs) and I then tried to play a DVD-A disk on that drive without success. So a few days later messing around with it I finally email Samsung (the manufacture) and they replied saying that it does not read DVD-A disks and I have yet to find one that will play this format :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:58 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

oobedoob wrote:
No, it definatly has to do with the DVD-ROM itself. I had an analog only audio DVD-ROM when I first built my system and it play DVD-A disk perfectly. I then upgraded to a different DVD-ROM with digtal and analog (since I wanted the digtial to get 5.1 sound out of video DVDs) and I then tried to play a DVD-A disk on that drive without success. So a few days later messing around with it I finally email Samsung (the manufacture) and they replied saying that it does not read DVD-A disks and I have yet to find one that will play this format :cry:

Very interesting. I had always thought that even though there was higher bit-rates in DVD-Audio, that DVD-Roms would not have a problem reading the data. After all, the data stored on the discs are 0s and 1s just like all other digital data. I always knew it would be more of a decoding issue.

I'm going to look into this some more, and try to find some definitive answers since I just bought an Audigy 2 card.

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:39 am 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

oobedoob wrote:

Thank you

It doesn't have a thing to do with it being the DVD drive at all. The soundcard has to be capable of playing 24bit audio (i think). But most importantly of all, you have to have a software player that can do DVD-Audio disks. (music industry has this limited, because of pirating). Only software player that I know of that can play those disks is if you own an Audigy 2 series based card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:55 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

the dvd-rom drive you have doesnt matter at all, but the soundcard does. any dvd-rom drive will read a dvd-a, as it conforms to the dvd spec and is recorded the same as any dvd disc. afaik the only soundcard to support dvd-a is the audigy 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:18 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

I most be way out of the loop - are artists starting to release music on DVD-A or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:24 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Gadget wrote:
I most be way out of the loop - are artists starting to release music on DVD-A or something?

you're a moron. Why don't you get back to work. :P hahaha!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:30 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

oobedoob wrote:

Thank you

Ok sport it's like this. *ALL* DVD-ROM drives should be able to read a DVD-Audio disc. There are exceptions like this piece of crap Pioneer 106S drive which woudn't cooperate. However every other damn DVD-ROM drive works fine like the Sony DVD-ROM at work. Also if you have a DVD burner it's almost a LOCK that it will play it. I've had perfect success with a TDK indiDVD burner, a Pioneer A05 burner, and of course that plain jane Sony DVD-ROM drive. If the drive can read DVD-Video it can read DVD-Audio. Same standard. Just now that AUDIO_TS folder actually has something in it! YAY!

For the n00bs in the forum I use WinDVD 6 + M-Audio Revolution 7.1 to playback DVD-Audio discs. Works like a charm. Even WinDVD 5.3 can playback DVD-Audio. PowerDVD can playback any DTS & Dolby Digital portions of a DVD-Audio disc. But to playback the *true* 24/96 stuff you'll need WinDVD or the Audigy2 software. Not to mention a Sound Card that can actually pump out 24/96 sound. :)

Class is dismissed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:43 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

TheMocoMan wrote:
Gadget wrote:

you're a moron. Why don't you get back to work. :P hahaha!

That's it - I'm sending over an intern to beat your ass. Everyone is going to fall off their chairs when they see my recording of a 100 pound asian girl smacking you around.... :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:44 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

TheMocoMan wrote:
oobedoob wrote:

Thank you

Ok sport it's like this. *ALL* DVD-ROM drives should be able to read a DVD-Audio disc. There are exceptions like this piece of crap Pioneer 106S drive which woudn't cooperate. However every other damn DVD-ROM drive works fine like the Sony DVD-ROM at work. Also if you have a DVD burner it's almost a LOCK that it will play it. I've had perfect success with a TDK indiDVD burner, a Pioneer A05 burner, and of course that plain jane Sony DVD-ROM drive. If the drive can read DVD-Video it can read DVD-Audio. Same standard. Just now that AUDIO_TS folder actually has something in it! YAY!

For the n00bs in the forum I use WinDVD 6 + M-Audio Revolution 7.1 to playback DVD-Audio discs. Works like a charm. Even WinDVD 5.3 can playback DVD-Audio. PowerDVD can playback any DTS & Dolby Digital portions of a DVD-Audio disc. But to playback the *true* 24/96 stuff you'll need WinDVD or the Audigy2 software. Not to mention a Sound Card that can actually pump out 24/96 sound. :)

Class is dismissed.

Cool, but what is actually being released on DVD-A?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:50 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

All Time Best Sellers

1. Eagles: Hotel California (DVD-Audio)
2. Sinatra, Frank: At the Sands With Count Basie (DVD-Audio)
3. Young, Neil: Harvest (DVD-Audio)
4. Led Zeppelin: How The West Was Won (DVD-Audio)
5. Presley, Elvis: Elvis 30 #1 Hits (DVD-Audio)
6. Beach Boys: Pet Sounds (DVD-Audio)
7. Queen: A Night At the Opera (DVD-Audio)
8. Fleetwood Mac: Rumours (DVD-Audio)
9. Queen: The Game (DVD-Audio)
10. Chicago: Chicago II (DVD-Audio)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:27 pm 

Alright I'll be a little more specfic (thanks for all the replies by the way) I have the Audigy 2 Plat. sound card and my DVD-ROM is plug into the sound card with both digital and analog audio connections, since DVD-Audio disk will only play in analog. Now whenever I put the disk into my Samsung SD816-B DVD-ROM drive the Creative Media Source DVD-A player pops up and will not display/play anything from the disk yet when I open Windows Media player and PowerDVD I can get the disk to play but not in the 5.1 sound it should be playing in.

I've email Creative about this several time and they don't seem to know what they're talking about.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just installed WinDVD and I can now play DVD-Audio disk, but I need to have WinDVD and the Creative DVD-A player open at the same time to play the disk