Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MSI SATA DVD Burner
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:59 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Understandably its nothing to get excited about, and this drive is nothing to drool over. But I can't help but wonder why I'm only NOW hearing about it: http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/07/09/msi/

Released in 2004? How many of you thought only plextor had a SATA burner up till now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:51 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

That drive was kicked around in a discussion awhile back. Now I may be wrong but I don't think it is even offered anymore. The initial downside of the drive was it only ran on Intel chipsets and I think the 865, 875 and one other Intel chipset. I don't know if MSI ever did a firmware update?

Currently, in addition to Plextor I don't know of any other SATA Optical Drives? The whole discussion focused on the present lack of them considering the move/push towards SATA. Other than the 716 which I use extensively, I am not sure Plextor has offered any of their drives in the SATA interface, then too, I haven't looked.

Ron

Post subject: Re: MSI SATA DVD Burner
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:58 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

urmumsacow wrote:
But I can't help but wonder why I'm only NOW hearing about it: http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/07/09/msi/

Released in 2004? How many of you thought only plextor had a SATA burner up till now?
'Cause it's only a DVD/CDRW combo driver rather than a DVD burner? ;)

I've been looking for a SATA DVD burner, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna shell out $100+ for a plextor. Plextors are nice drives, but I don't think they're worth that much of a premium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:17 pm 

Plextor is now offering the PX-755SA which uses the Serial ATA interface. At approx $150 CDN, it is pricey.

Does not appear that anyone else is producing a SATA interfaced DVD/CD Burner. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:15 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

TWBalls writes:
Quote:
I've been looking for a SATA DVD burner, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna shell out $100+ for a plextor. Plextors are nice drives, but I don't think they're worth that much of a premium.

Just like the last time we discussed this. Same sediments as to Plextor and cost. This left everyone wondering when the hell the other manufacturers are going to start putting out their line in a SATA interface?

Looking at just HDDs. There is somewhere between little to no cost difference between the SATA and PATA interface. You can buy a SATA to PATA interface adapter. So when the hell will there be a good choice of SATA drives out there in optical drives? There sure as hell is a market and one would think manufacturers would be looking to turn a buck.

Beats the hell outta me?

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:46 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I remember that discussion!

The nVidia chipsets were new and these things were just freaking out on AMD systems. MSI freaked just as bad as the Plexy did. It took BIOS updates and a firmware on each drive to get them to work properly on an AMD rig. Even various Intel chip'd boards had some issues. S/ATA was just a new tech not fully implimented yet in the right ways.

Once you think about who makes DVD-R/W's, you can pretty much assume why more aren't out. The guts of an Asus, MSI, and Lite-on are pretty much the same. Plextors, Pioneer, Sony, and Samsungs are the only real standout that I know of that try not to share their guts so openly.

With that, where Plextor strives to have the fastest drive, they adopt S/ATA. Not for speed really, but they're not caught up in Lightscribe or anything trendy like that. Resource gaps more easily sent to study up on S/ATA and how to get your drive to work with it. Sony and the like strive to have their drives in big OEM boxes, and keeping up with the Jone's tricks can leave little left for things like S/ATA...especially when Mrs. Smith doesn't care how her HP's drive is hooked up, as long as she can put a flower on the DVD she's cool with it.

And the real nuts and bolts that I see is that no one really asked for it when this article came out. It was simply "nice...but I still have P/ATA HDD's to deal with". Now that S/ATA populations are up and we're lucky if we still have at least ONE P/ATA port...the issue of S/ATA opticals get a really good visit.

I gotta mention the Plextor and their Compatibility List though. Just because your specific board is not up there doesn't mean it won't work perfectly. They can't test them all. If your chipset is on the list and works, your board should work too. Same with the S/ATA controller of the same type. Even if it's not, the BIOS' always change as with great firmware support from Plexy.