Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:48 pm 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Location: I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it
Ok donnie fanboi, I was making simple statements, no need to get an attitude.
I buy what I feel like buying reguardless of what it compares to. Out of the 6 computers I am running right now, 3 are Intel. Apples to Apples comparison my XP1800+ beats out my P4 1.8 in a large portion of real world benchmarks and synthetic testing; no overclocking, nothing special, both with same memory amount... thats apples to apples. I also know in most cases the P4 3.0GHz kicked a 3000+ to the curb.
Thank you have a nice night

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:19 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Donnie27 wrote:
3GHz Conroe vs 3GHz Opteron 165

I changed the bolded word. It's okay, though. At first, I thought it was spelled Operton.

I thought an Opteron 165 could only go to 2.8 GHz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:13 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

screwballl wrote:
Ok donnie fanboi, I was making simple statements, no need to get an attitude.
I buy what I feel like buying reguardless of what it compares to. Out of the 6 computers I am running right now, 3 are Intel. Apples to Apples comparison my XP1800+ beats out my P4 1.8 in a large portion of real world benchmarks and synthetic testing; no overclocking, nothing special, both with same memory amount... thats apples to apples. I also know in most cases the P4 3.0GHz kicked a 3000+ to the curb.
Thank you have a nice night

No matter how you handicap or what you compare. This round AMD got spanked. Just as Intel got spanked by X2 and hopfully K8L will spank some ass as well. The best on the market vs the best is Apples to Apples=P

My main use rig starts out like this.
SuperFlower Case 550W Antec TP2
Asus A8N SLI
Athlon64 3500+
Current trying to talk my Buddy out of an X1800XL that het got for $200, yes the 512MB MSI version.

I'll be whatever the hell you call me. Yes, I'm a Fanboy, Pure 100% Fan of my wallet! I don't care if you have 20 P4's your views are just like your name, but with a twist, screwed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:14 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Dr. Weird1985 wrote:
Donnie27 wrote:
3GHz Conroe vs 3GHz Opteron 165

I changed the bolded word. It's okay, though. At first, I thought it was spelled Operton.

I thought an Opteron 165 could only go to 2.8 GHz.

Yup!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:24 pm 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

found a neat little story for those of you thinking that Kentsfield is the end to AMD:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32577

How you like them Apples? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:58 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

screwballl wrote:
found a neat little story for those of you thinking that Kentsfield is the end to AMD:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32577

How you like them Apples? :lol:

I don't need to call folks a Dumb-ass Fanboi or etc.. Far be it for I to point out the obvious. If you'd get off your Lazy ass or un-burry your head from the sand and read the thread in Xtremesystems.org, you find you're trying to help Intel, not your usual FUD spreading self.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=103982

That's a 12 page thread. I was with it from Day one. Even the AMD Fanbois can't twist the Kentfield into a negative. It's already kicking ass. Now while you there, see Intel's version of "Reverse Hyperthreading"?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... ostcount=1

Complete with pics of it in the BIOS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:00 pm 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

so someone that has a pre-production core, unlocked and possibly overclocked posting on a forum of people that is dying to see the nextgen stuff so badly they will believe anything proves what?
Sorry I will believe it when official unbiased reviews and benchmarks are run in something like oh say MAXIMUMPC!
sorry I just do not believe the validity of that thread you mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:26 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

screwballl wrote:
so someone that has a pre-production core, unlocked and possibly overclocked posting on a forum of people that is dying to see the nextgen stuff so badly they will believe anything proves what?
Sorry I will believe it when official unbiased reviews and benchmarks are run in something like oh say MAXIMUMPC!
sorry I just do not believe the validity of that thread you mentioned.

Then don't believe, that's alright. Just don't try to trash out the folks who might not agree with you. Yonah was already kicking ass before the first Conroe benchmarks were posted.

The guys at Xtremesystems are gushing over the Quad core KF, where the hell is AMD's? Eventhough its farther off than Intel's, AMD Fans are dying for it as well LOL!

I have a feeling MaximumPC showing Conroe kicking the crap out of X-2 (any Model) wouldn't change a thing for most AMD Fanbois. I can hear it now;
I'm waiting on next year.
My slower Opty 165@2.8 will do til AMD comes up with something better.
I just bought an AM2
I hate Intel's Monoploy status
Etc., etc., and so on.

If this were a New AMD product taking the market by storm, whatever these same folks had would be dumpped quicker than a New York Nano second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:47 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Is there any stock AMD Proc that is actually clocked at 3.0 GHZ or faster?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:18 pm 

The Macmyster wrote:
Is there any stock AMD Proc that is actually clocked at 3.0 GHZ or faster?

The AMD Opteron 256 is clocked at 3000MHZ. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Opteron_microprocessors#Opteron_200-series_.22Troy.22_.28standard-power.2C_90_nm.29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:46 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Is it good? Why has no one really got into the Opterons? Too expensive? Or are they really meant for servers? And are there any AM2 options? Any Dual Cores etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:20 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

I think amds awesome i always use them but i have to tell you conroe will fuckopteron so hard its legs will break off 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

PsU wrote:
I think amds awesome i always use them but i have to tell you conroe will fuckopteron so hard its legs will break off 8)
Thats a great mutilation of english language you have there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:55 pm 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

so lets compare a new top of the line Core2Duo to a bottom of the line dual core Opteron... lets see some numbers comparing it to an Opteron 800 series...
I just do not and will not believe any one sided comparisons to hardware that is the bottom of the opposing line.. compare it to something equivalent, not the bottom of the opposing line...
yes the numbers are impressive, I do not deny that but we will see what puts out when the production lines are publicly released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:16 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Regardless, its a slap in AMD's face and tells em they better get their asses going or else.
And its good for prospective Intel users who planned on upgrading too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:58 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

screwballl wrote:
so lets compare a new top of the line Core2Duo to a bottom of the line dual core Opteron... lets see some numbers comparing it to an Opteron 800 series...
I just do not and will not believe any one sided comparisons to hardware that is the bottom of the opposing line.. compare it to something equivalent, not the bottom of the opposing line...
yes the numbers are impressive, I do not deny that but we will see what puts out when the production lines are publicly released.

You can do better, AMd just flat out doesn't have anything to compare unless you move to 4 way Plus. Even then it becomes superior Interconnects more than Core performance.

If you don't believe anything, by anybody, you're a lost cause. They compared 2.67GHz to an overclock to 2.8GHz FX, then later they used a real FX-62 and it lost. What reviews are you talking about being "one sided comparisons"? That's screwy, pardon the pun:)

The review was of two processors both overclocked to 3GHz and the AMD got pimp-slapped.

Last edited by Donnie27 on Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:03 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

The Macmyster wrote:
Regardless, its a slap in AMD's face and tells em they better get their asses going or else.
And its good for prospective Intel users who planned on upgrading too.

QFT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:22 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

The Macmyster wrote:
Is it good? Why has no one really got into the Opterons? Too expensive? Or are they really meant for servers? And are there any AM2 options? Any Dual Cores etc?

s939 opterons are exactly the same as their A64 counterparts. a couple of months ago, opterons were cheaper, so everyone was buying those, especially since getting 2.8ghz + wasnt uncommon. then, AMD raised the prices on them, so now they're more expensive than A64's. but they still OC better

and the 3ghz one that was linked is a socket 940, which means it has to use registered RAM which will slow down its gaming performance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:28 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

what I dont understand about people getting excited about the latest and greatest chip...
You will spend $$$$ on a new chip and then load it with a bloatware OS.

Its the equivalent to buying a 911 turbo and putting bio-diesel in it.

Maybe if you guys put as much effort and excitement to getting an OS that is free and will give you a 20% boost in performance you could save some money.

Instead you will cream your pants over Conroe, then you will load Vista and my 280's will still run more efficiently.

The current mindset is truly amazing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:00 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

markmark69 wrote:
what I dont understand about people getting excited about the latest and greatest chip...
You will spend $$$$ on a new chip and then load it with a bloatware OS.

Its the equivalent to buying a 911 turbo and putting bio-diesel in it.

Maybe if you guys put as much effort and excitement to getting an OS that is free and will give you a 20% boost in performance you could save some money.

Instead you will cream your pants over Conroe, then you will load Vista and my 280's will still run more efficiently.

The current mindset is truly amazing

Ummm... nobody said we'd be buying the most expensive C2D. There will be more than one and they won't all be $$$$.

If your 1337 OS is sooooooo awesome, you should be content with how you have situated yourself. Evidently, you're not otherwise you wouldn't be whining.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next