Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: X800 Pro
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:09 pm 

I am shopping for a Radeon x800 pro, and I found one, but it says (OEM) at the end of the description, does this mean anything, because i dont see this on all the descriptions on different sites...whats the deal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:34 pm 

can anybody help me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:43 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

by buying OEM, it means that you are buying only the card and it doesnt come with any free games i think. plus, the warranty on oem products are shorter than the retail version. by buying a retail version, you are also getting some free games with the videocard and longer warranty. i could be wrong on the warranty part though and hopefully someone will be able to help you out. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:45 pm 

ok thanks, i thought maybe it meant the card was not as high of quality.

Post subject: Re: X800 Pro
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:39 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

pdizzle383 wrote:
I am shopping for a Radeon x800 pro, and I found one, but it says (OEM) at the end of the description, does this mean anything, because i dont see this on all the descriptions on different sites...whats the deal?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=oem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:57 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

a lot of times OEM product are not as high quality as the retail version
Most OEM products are shipped to major pc builders they may alter it due to what the pc builder requests and it may not be exactly up to the standard that ATI wants to offer to the public plus if you buy OEM you lose the manufacture warrantee so if something goes wrong with it you cannot contact ATI but the people who sold it to you (in the early days) I bought an OEM sound blaster sound card thinking i was saving some major $$$ till after i bought it and found out it was not near the quality of the retail version.
So buyer be ware you get what you pay for!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:00 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

cncmonke wrote:
Most OEM products are shipped to major pc builders they may alter it due to what the pc builder requests and it may not be exactly up to the standard that ATI wants to offer to the public plus if you buy OEM you lose the manufacture warrantee so if something goes wrong with it you cannot contact ATI but the people who sold it to you (in the early days) I bought an OEM sound blaster sound card thinking i was saving some major $$$ till after i bought it and found out it was not near the quality of the retail version.

Thats not true at all. Hell, Id think OEM might even be higher quality or else the OEM builders wouldnt buy from them (honestly, if you were Dell, and you had bought a product that kept failing and you had to replace, are you as likely to keep buying from them? No).

But in any case, they are pretty much the same as far as the card. You just dont get a fancy box and the games (but you usually do get a driver CD and cables).

White/brown Box usually does not have anything but the card (no CD, no cables, etc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:04 pm 

What is better the ATI Radeon X800 or the Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT. I've heard good things about both, but i think i've decided i want one of these two cards, what do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:07 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I think ATI has the edge right now, but in all honesty, I dont think you can really go wrong with either. Theyll both kick the piss out of any other video card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:18 pm 

There is a link in a different thread that shows test results that has the GT beating the Pro out in almost every Far Cry test and in some cases edging the XT PE, and I was stunned and for 400$ and no power upgrade it seems like the card to get, and it has SM3.0 which is a nice plus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:30 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

pdizzle383 wrote:
What is better the ATI Radeon X800 or the Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT. I've heard good things about both, but i think i've decided i want one of these two cards, what do you think?

If you can, wait a little longer. Things are changing pretty rapidly - nothing is certain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:31 am 
Solid as a rock
Solid as a rock

SomeGuy wrote:
cncmonke wrote:

Thats not true at all. Hell, Id think OEM might even be higher quality or else the OEM builders wouldnt buy from them (honestly, if you were Dell, and you had bought a product that kept failing and you had to replace, are you as likely to keep buying from them? No).

But in any case, they are pretty much the same as far as the card. You just dont get a fancy box and the games (but you usually do get a driver CD and cables).

White/brown Box usually does not have anything but the card (no CD, no cables, etc)

In the case of OEM video cards the clock speed can be different. ATi oem cards in the past have been clocked slower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:03 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

grydlok wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
cncmonke wrote:

In the case of OEM video cards the clock speed can be different. ATi oem cards in the past have been clocked slower.

Well, that's something that can easily be changed ;)

The question at hand was whether there is any difference in build quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:12 pm 
Solid as a rock
Solid as a rock

SomeGuy wrote:
quote]

Well, that's something that can easily be changed ;)

The question at hand was whether there is any difference in build quality.

Not all the time. Some OEM card may have lower rated memory that can't reach the same speeds of retail. You have to know what your getting.