Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: motherboard help
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:07 am 

:?: iam replaceing my p3 450 mhz with a p 4 2.8 i need a new motherboard and want to build a buget systems need to know what a good motherboard is that stable and is going to last a while if anyone could help thanks :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:20 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Whoa there, punctuation is your friend.

First off, what is your budget? What do you use the system for? Are you set on Intel or is an Athlon 64 an option?

I only ask because an Athlon 64 will most likely have a longer lifespan due to the longevity of S754 and it's 64bit addressing.

If you're set on the P4, I have an Asus P4P800 for my P4 (they run about $100), and I'd recommend that. Whatever P4 motherboard you get, make damned sure it has an Intel i875 or i865 chipset. With almost anything else, you might as well just kick yourself in the nuts now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:46 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I'm going to have to second the P4P800 recommendation. Budget price with nearly i875 performance. With quality RAM, a future upgrade to that 2.8c chip is just an overclock away as well.

Post subject: Re: motherboard help
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:24 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

firefighter wrote:
:?: iam replaceing my p3 450 mhz with a p 4 2.8 i need a new motherboard and want to build a buget systems need to know what a good motherboard is that stable and is going to last a while if anyone could help thanks :?

Intel mobo's are the most stable..as for oc'ing try another board..abit or Asus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:51 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

definitely check out www.newegg.com for all the hot deals. stick with the Intel I875 chipset. check out the asus boards like the Asus P4C800. also the abit boards are really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:42 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

go with Abit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:18 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Much of what goes into a budget system really depends on what you expect the system to do, also true of any system.

If you just want a basic system, no fast games or thoughts of overclocking, I would look towards the basic Intel Boards. I have done several recent builds with the Intel D865 PERL boards and have had excellent success. That board has dropped in price and is now under $100. Good board for the buck but includes features you may not want or need such as onboard SATA controller.

The Intel D845 series of boards get down around $60 and have onboard video and sound. Not a bad board for a basic good build. Also saving the need for graphics and sound cards, thus cutting cost.

There are a dozen board manufacturers out there and everyone has their pets. For basic builds I happen to like Intel. Good support and I have always had good luck with them. I see a hell of a lot of poat with board problems and seldom does the name Intel show up.

I would run with good but basic RAM also. You don't need Extreme Edition or shit hot RAM for a good basic build.

Take a long hard look at the budget, decide where you want to go with it, and build the thing! Then let us know what you come up with.

Ron

Post subject: Re: motherboard help
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:51 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

firefighter wrote:

The advice you are getting is OK so far. But, just incase its over your head, there are some things you could provide us with that would make it easier on us.

First, do you have hardware from the old system you want to use? Video card, sound card, etc..... (and what is it).

Second, what would you be using the machine for? Surfing, multimedia, light games. I mean, tell use what has cause you to decide to move up. You don't like 98 anymore or is it an issue of it just being too slow. ANy info helps

Lastly, it is now possible to get boards with good integrated components and save yourself some cash. This is only under cirtain curcumstances. Like if you are a supergamer and only want to play Doom3 all day, you don't need integrated video.

Look at boards from:

Asus
Intel
Abit
FIC
MSI

Pick one, comback and ask about it.

Anyways, I think I will PM you 'cuz you are not attending the thread.

Click on "watch this thread"

Manta

Post subject: got my systems order
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:26 am 

i went with a asus p4800 e delxe and went 512 megs ram kingston and the 2.8 p4 800mhz and thanks for the help with this guys and order it from new egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:42 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

definitely go with abit. i love my abit board, even though its been broken, neither time was it a result of a bad board, first time was a lightning strike and the second time was me being a dumbass and breaking it.