Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 30 Inches!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:32 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:15 pm
Posts: 742
Location: Alaska
I could live with one of these...


"Considering how much time you spend sitting in front of your computer, isn’t it time to get a better view? Feast your eyes on the stunning 30-inch (diagonal) Apple Cinema HD Display—the largest high-resolution LCD ever designed for the personal computer. Enveloped in a sleek, new aluminum enclosure, this all-digital beauty features an active-matrix liquid crystal display that produces flicker-free images that delivers twice the brightness, sharpness, and contrast ratio of a typical CRT display. And with 2560-by-1600 pixel resolution, you can see three 8½ x 11 pages at 100% view all on one screen—with plenty of room for palettes and windows.

Combine the 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display with a Power Mac G5 and there’s no limit to what you can achieve.* You can have more applications open while viewing more windows and documents at the same time—a surefire way to increase productivity. The tremendous leap in size and resolution of this display requires the most advanced graphics architecture available—the dual-link NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL graphics card can support up to two 30-inch displays.

Priced at $3299, the Apple Cinema HD Display can be yours for as low as $73 a month with the Apple Instant Loan.** The 30-inch display will be available in August but you can order yours today and be among the first to have one. Shop online at the Apple Store or call us toll-free at 1-800-MY-APPLE and speak to a Mac Specialist for answers to any questions you may have. "

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... leDisplays


Wolf


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:35 pm 
Willamette
Willamette
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:34 pm
Posts: 1182
Location: So Cal
w0zers.

i want one too


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:11 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:38 pm
Posts: 2583
Location: Room112
i can buy a cheap honda for that price. killer monitor though


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:33 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:15 pm
Posts: 742
Location: Alaska
I have access to a 23" one but 30"'s!!!!


Wolf


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 30 Inches!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:42 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:29 am
Posts: 6125
Location: Huntsville, Alabama.
Wolf wrote:
The tremendous leap in size and resolution of this display requires the most advanced graphics architecture available—the dual-link NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL graphics card can support up to two 30-inch displays.


Yeppers. I was gawking at one of those suckers yesterday. Then I tried to find information on the GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL card to see if it was even remotely available for PCs, and I still have not found any information. Looks like Apple is once again trying to tie people down to their Macs. *sighs*

n0b0dykn0ws


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 30 Inches!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:49 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:48 pm
Posts: 241
Location: Whispering Evil Things in your ear...
n0b0dykn0ws wrote:
Wolf wrote:
The tremendous leap in size and resolution of this display requires the most advanced graphics architecture available—the dual-link NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL graphics card can support up to two 30-inch displays.


Yeppers. I was gawking at one of those suckers yesterday. Then I tried to find information on the GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL card to see if it was even remotely available for PCs, and I still have not found any information. Looks like Apple is once again trying to tie people down to their Macs. *sighs*

n0b0dykn0ws


To push that many pixels with the DVI spec, you need two DVI ports form one card working in tandem (like a mini Dual-DVI SLI). AFAIK, the Quadro FX was the only provious generation card that could do this (as it was mentioned in a review of one of IBM's huge CAD displays) but at a refresh rate of about 30Hz.

Regardless, sucha high resolution needs custom hardware to run, so if you want that panel, you need that videocard or another like it.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 30 Inches!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:44 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:29 am
Posts: 6125
Location: Huntsville, Alabama.
Beelzebubba9 wrote:
To push that many pixels with the DVI spec, you need two DVI ports form one card working in tandem (like a mini Dual-DVI SLI). AFAIK, the Quadro FX was the only provious generation card that could do this (as it was mentioned in a review of one of IBM's huge CAD displays) but at a refresh rate of about 30Hz.

Regardless, sucha high resolution needs custom hardware to run, so if you want that panel, you need that videocard or another like it.


I'm not griping that it requires a special card, I'm griping because at this moment it looks like it's going to be Apple only.

Believe me, I would even consider switching to nVidia to be able to use these panels. (assuming I could afford it)

n0b0dykn0ws


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:26 pm 
BANNED
BANNED
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:28 pm
Posts: 79
Location: In the land of submarines
one of those would be nice for final cut pro.......


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:58 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:32 pm
Posts: 13
man i think i now might be able to afford those dual 23" displays now for the apple im getting for my birthday in november.....due to some business things i have to start running final cut to stay with my competition, and my grandmother has agreed to do me an apple for birthday....im really excited now


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:22 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 1691
Location: Houston Texas
y is that nvidia 6800 ultra so long in the pic? :S


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 30 Inches!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:33 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 1:24 am
Posts: 6701
Location: M*A*S*H 4077, Korea
Wolf wrote:
I could live with one of these...


Two caveats:

You need the 2.5GHz or 2.0GHz DP G5 PowerMacs.

You need the GeForce FX6800DDL $600 Upgrade.

I could live with that, but my wife wouldn't let me live if I came home with that! :)

SC64


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:48 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:02 pm
Posts: 43
Location: Temecula, CA
Azn wrote:
y is that nvidia 6800 ultra so long in the pic? :S


I thought that to. I think it is extra stuff added to the card for the dual dual-link DVI connections, compared to the PC version.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:11 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 1691
Location: Houston Texas
oh. the website says that nvida card is required for the 30 inch screen. Is that them just trying to make u buy the card too or just bs?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:33 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 1:24 am
Posts: 6701
Location: M*A*S*H 4077, Korea
Azn wrote:
oh. the website says that nvida card is required for the 30 inch screen. Is that them just trying to make u buy the card too or just bs?


No, the Apple 30" Cinema HD has dual DVI inputs. Apparently, the nVidia Card is the only one certified to run under OS 10.2.4 Tiger and 10.2.3 Panther that can support that.

How well I know, since Apple does not allow the component vendors to offer incremental driver updates.

SC64


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:40 am 
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock
like a rock - waitaminute, I AM a rock
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:48 am
Posts: 2252
ouch $3300 for the display. that hurts. Nice thought though


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.