Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AMD 64 3400+/ MSI K8N Neo Plat - RAM Configuration Question
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:37 am 

As far as I've read, AMD Athlon 64 procs don't support dual-channel memory access and the motherboard also specifies supporting single memory channels.

Why was I told in the past to think of RAM as matched pairs when probably dual-channel memory access wasn't happening in my old stupid Dell? (And if dual-channel memory access is the cat's meow, why did Athlon create a high powered set of procs that didn't utilize it?) Are single channel memory controller designs a recent advent? The motherboard spec indicates I could use a single 1 gig DDR DIMM module, right? Would there be a benefit or disadvantage of such a set-up vs. 2 sticks of 512? It seemed curious why Corsair's website recommended 1 twin stick of 512 and 1 twin stick of 1024 for the older versions of this motherboard.

Now, AMD Athlon 64s specs show System Bus Technology allowing "up to 2000MHz--full duplex" and P4 FSB @ "800 MHz--half duplex." Remembering back to full duplex vs. half duplex as it applied to my first 2400 bps modem *grin*, what is AMD saying exactly? FSB of 2000 MHz or should I read it as 1000 because of the fancy duplex wording? Nevermind the fact that the motherboard says it supports only a 800MHz Hypertransport interface. (which translates to FSB, right?)

Both AMD and MSI website specs indicate support for DDR 400, but not DDR 500. Is this because DDR400 is the fatest SDRAM memory approved by JEDEC?

Now, overclocking as I've come to understand it means you're running the system bus faster than than the memory is rated for. Since PC3200 DDR 400 is rated for 200MHz, you're not overclocking your RAM until you go past that speed. So, I Need to do some calculations; where can I find information relating to procs, their default FSBs, and their multipliers? I browsed the amd site, but no luck yet.

Okay, I think that's enough questions for now before I confuse myself further. Thanks everyone=)

--DS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:48 pm 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

Well this is an easier way to tell if it is dual channel capable or not.

754 pin A64 - Single Channel
939 pin A64 - Dual Channel

And if you know which cpu you have, then if you got option 2, check your mobo manufactures manuel for details on which slots are for dual channel.