Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: i think i broke my new mobo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:14 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

when i was installing my mobo i had a screw get stuck so i got out a pair if pliers and endud up breaking a slamm oval silver thing on the board, im gonna try and see if it will work, but do you think it will and should i send it back to newegg for a new one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:26 am 
Willamette
Willamette

if it is just the little silver ring around the screw hole, i would think that it would still work.

id try it out before sending it back. if it worked, id keep it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:34 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

BiggPa wrote:
if it is just the little silver ring around the screw hole, i would think that it would still work.

no thats not what it is, it is a little circle ove case kinda like a spam case, that is soldered to the mobo, im not sure what it is, but im gonna try the comp b4 sending it back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:35 am 
Willamette
Willamette

athlon11 wrote:
BiggPa wrote:

no thats not what it is, it is a little circle ove case kinda like a spam case, that is soldered to the mobo, im not sure what it is, but im gonna try the comp b4 sending it back

ah, that may be more of a problem then

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:38 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

BiggPa wrote:
athlon11 wrote:
BiggPa wrote:

yea, but if it is still making contact it should work though right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:56 am 
Willamette
Willamette

athlon11 wrote:
BiggPa wrote:
athlon11 wrote:
BiggPa wrote:

yea, but if it is still making contact it should work though right?

i dont konw exactly what part you are talking about. but it makes sense that it would if its making contact still

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:58 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

well, it seems to be working, i just starterd it up and its doing ok. i am gonna torture test the hell out of it and ill probably end up sending it back anyway, just not till after my vacation in a week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:30 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

it seems to have something to do with the sound because i am not getting any from the outputs at all, oh well, i send it back after my vacation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:37 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Most of those little cylinders are capacitors. Most electronics can do without some, but not all, of the capacitors.

All a capacitor does is hold a charge, such that when a burst of power is needed somewhere it can get it instantly.

I just looked in my mobo, There are these little silver oval shaped things in my mobo. I'm not sure what those are. They could be capacitors, as most of the stuff that sticks out of the mobo are, but I'm not sure.

By any chance are you using the Abit NF7, or NF7-S? I have one of those long oval-shaped things next to a mounting hole in the back behind the PCI slot closest to the AGP slot.

If it works, I would keep it. That would most likely mean you damaged a capacitor, which is no biggie. Besides, I don't think Newegg will take something back that YOU dammaged.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:42 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Belboz99 wrote:
Most of those little cylinders are capacitors. Most electronics can do without some, but not all, of the capacitors.

All a capacitor does is hold a charge, such that when a burst of power is needed somewhere it can get it instantly.

I just looked in my mobo, There are these little silver oval shaped things in my mobo. I'm not sure what those are. They could be capacitors, as most of the stuff that sticks out of the mobo are, but I'm not sure.

By any chance are you using the Abit NF7, or NF7-S? I have one of those long oval-shaped things next to a mounting hole in the back behind the PCI slot closest to the AGP slot.

If it works, I would keep it. That would most likely mean you damaged a capacitor, which is no biggie. Besides, I don't think Newegg will take something back that YOU dammaged.

Dan O.
actually i have an nf7-m and that was exactlt where it happened. i think it was a frequency generato and it belongs to the sound subsystem as the sound is not working. i will send it back just saying the sound doesnt work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:30 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Quote:
actually i have an nf7-m and that was exactlt where it happened. i think it was a frequency generato and it belongs to the sound subsystem as the sound is not working. i will send it back just saying the sound doesnt work.

Yeah, it's a bit close to the CD audio in jack. Perhaps the onboard audio has a few more circuits and things in that area. If it does, then that could be one of them.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:19 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

athlon11 wrote:
well, it seems to be working, i just starterd it up and its doing ok. i am gonna torture test the hell out of it and ill probably end up sending it back anyway, just not till after my vacation in a week

i would return it...just to be on the safe side