Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Picky Computer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:07 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

alright i am remaking my dads old computer and putting windows xp onto it as a fresh install. It gets to "starting windows" and then freezes. Ok so i install windows 98 and try to upgrade it to Windows xp home. Again it freezes and goes to a black screen. Now im think that the harddrive is too old to support windows xp so i go and get a new harddrive. But i still have the same problem. Does anyone know whats wrong?

here are my specs,
1 ghz amd athlon
i think a biostar mobo which is mini atx
geforce 2 64 mb
seagate 20 gb harddrive
sony cd-rw
dvd rom drive
floppy drive.

Any help is appreciated ok thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:39 am 

Sounds like it may be a RAM problem. Try using 1 stick of ram if that does not work switch it out for the other and try it again. 8) Have you done any upgrades to the PC besides trying to upgrade the OS?

Post subject: Re: Picky Computer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:59 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Kbasa wrote:
alright i am remaking my dads old computer and putting windows xp onto it as a fresh install. It gets to "starting windows" and then freezes. Ok so i install windows 98 and try to upgrade it to Windows xp home. Again it freezes and goes to a black screen. Now im think that the harddrive is too old to support windows xp so i go and get a new harddrive. But i still have the same problem. Does anyone know whats wrong?

here are my specs,
1 ghz amd athlon
geforce 2 64 mb
seagate 20 gb harddrive
sony cd-rw
dvd rom drive
floppy drive.

RAM and power specs?

Doesn't sound like power because you can install 98 ok, but I agree it could be a ram problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:42 am 

definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) sounds like ram or PS., but not gonna be ps due to 98 working as another suggested. I would try replacing once stick at a time and see if this fixes your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:21 am 
Willamette
Willamette

my guess would be RAM

Post subject: Re: Picky Computer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:12 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Kbasa wrote:

here are my specs,
1 ghz amd athlon
geforce 2 64 mb
seagate 20 gb harddrive
sony cd-rw
dvd rom drive
floppy drive.

Another one asking how much RAM you have :)

Manta

Post subject: f
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:34 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

ok, i think it has 786 ram of pc100, ill run ramtest x86 tonight probably when i get home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:28 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

it could definitely be ram. i heard of instability issues with windows 98 computers that have more than 256megs of ram.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:12 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

keymaker wrote:
it could definitely be ram. i heard of instability issues with windows 98 computers that have more than 256megs of ram.
his problem isnt with win98, its installing windows xp that he has the problem. i add another vote to the ram as being the culprit, but a bad driver being installed during the install could also be an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:14 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

i even bought a new harddrive because i thought it was that, but ill try the ram tomarrow because im not at my house tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:26 am 
Team Member
Team Member

A computer that a friend is trying to fix for his g/f is hangin up when he tries to install an OS, but we couldnt get any OS to install on it. we tried 95, 98, ME, 2000, and XP Pro and Home, none of them worked, and i was feeling lazy (not getting paid), so i gave up. I'm not sure of the specs of the computer, but i know it really shouldnt be running XP but it was running XP Home before he formatted the HD. But i know it would be able to handle 98 or 2000 just fine, but it wouldnt install either. I think he may have just messed something up. but if y'all have any ideas, i will pass them on.

Post subject: Re: f
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:45 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Kbasa wrote:
i even bought a new harddrive because i thought it was that, but ill try the ram tomarrow because im not at my house tonight.

Like everyone keeps driving home, install errors many times are generated by bad ram.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:29 am 

It sounds like you may need to update your bios. On older systems like the one you describe alot of times Windows 2000 and now XP would not boot or load properly due to an incompatible versions of bios.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:44 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Ok heres what happend, i ran memtest x86 and i located the bad ram, then i try to install windows xp on the computer with still no luck. The thing is i dont know what manufacturer my motherboard is made by, is there some kind of utility that analyses your mother board and tells you what model and manufacturer is? So i can update the bios...
Thanks again,
-Hank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:54 am 

Well if it failed the ram test then the ram may be bad. Taking a look inside the case should reveal who makes the board and the model should be listed somewhere. Go to the manufacturers website and find it.

You can also use sisoft to get some more information about it also if this isn't a custom built one check the vendors website for a bios update and also if you need one for your board to work properly with XP. I am not totally convinced it's ram. Software test aren't always accurate and if you had bad ram how come the windows 98 loads and runs fine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:39 am 

JeremyWatts2004 wrote:
Well if it failed the ram test then the ram may be bad. Taking a look inside the case should reveal who makes the board and the model should be listed somewhere. Go to the manufacturers website and find it.

You can also use sisoft to get some more information about it also if this isn't a custom built one check the vendors website for a bios update and also if you need one for your board to work properly with XP. I am not totally convinced it's ram. Software test aren't always accurate and if you had bad ram how come the windows 98 loads and runs fine?

Just a link for download.. http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?di ... angx=en&a=

If your board is not marked you could try and find the manufacturer by taking note of the FCC number printed on the board. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:14 pm 

I totally forgot the fcc id identification thanks for the reminder